Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 20:08   #31

Re: How old is too old?

Actually, I saw Gov. Arnold S. (Terminator guy) on a late night talk show and he was talking about aging and loss of balance (this was several years ago too) and he was talking about different work outs he was having todo to keep his sence of balance in making movies.....
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:16   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Some of us older sailors on here, have pretty much always sailed one way or another!! Started at our fathers knee, or uncles, or just friends, and just never stoped! I know that Connie and I feel sorta hollow when we are not aboard a boat of some sort ! We are looking right now in Panama City FL. we hope to floating soon !! age is somthing ya put on a application for work!! and I don't need to do that anymore LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:25   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
A couple of issues to consider

The cascade effect from fall is one of the issue that cause a change in living conditions for many older people. Peoples ablity to balance does decline with age, but often falls are not a direct result of age. UTI,s are one of the major causes of fall in elderly people. In age care facilities they are directly associated with about 70% of falls. From what i have seen more people end up in nursing home as a result of fall than strokes. So do not take changes such as confusion and loss of balance as being age related, seek medical advice and treatment.

Some of the changes commonly associated ageing can make life very difficult for people who wish to remain cruising/ living on board. About 50% of men and 70% 0f women (who have delivered children naturaly become incontenent. This is a very distressing and dificult issue to deal with, but on a boat with limited washing facilities more so.
Re falls and nursing homes you need to keep an eye on the bone density. It's my understanding that what usually happens is the hip breaks and then you falls not the other way around which is what most people are lead to believe.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:35   #34

Thank you to all who replied to the post you have given me hope and inspiration as well as the belief that I have a long and happy sailing life ahead of me.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
It's my understanding that what usually happens is the hip breaks and then you falls not the other way around which is what most people are lead to believe.
We will agree to disagree on this on this as you may know more than me. My limited understanding is based on working in nursing homes.

Futher information on the subject can be found at http://www.osteoporosis.org.au/image...0%202011-2.pdf

The good news for cruisers is that exercise, active life styles, Vit D from sunlight and diets with high fish conents are some of the best "non medical" ways of promoting higher bone density.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07   #36

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
We will agree to disagree on this on this as you may know more than me. My limited understanding is based on working in nursing homes.

Futher information on the subject can be found at http://www.osteoporosis.org.au/image...0%202011-2.pdf

The good news for cruisers is that exercise, active life styles, Vit D from sunlight and diets with high fish conents are some of the best "non medical" ways of promoting higher bone density.
Wasn't disagreeing with anything you said just trying to add to it. Sorry if it came across that way.

I have always heard that falls are the #1 reason people end up in nursing homes, so for sure osteoporosis = breaks/falls = nursing homes, so do what you can to keep the bone density up.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Yes, sneezing with a UTI infection can keep one from sencing the urge to urinate and sneezing causes them to unknowingly relieve themselves while standing. They turn around to walk and slip on the wet floor.....Boom! Broken hip! Now in the hospital laying there they catch pneumonia and the lungs fill causing further complications until a stroke is induced. Being non-funtional by this time they may not be left alone and are off to the nursing home where they vegitate until the end of their days, all because they sneezed with UTI and got piszed off.

Nice to see a knowlegable and responsible responce, print it out to show your doctor at your next check up. I am sure he/she will be impressed.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:42   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
While I would up that to 35 feet, I agree there is an upper limit for a singlehander who isn't in peak physical condition.

We settled on 41 feet
I am not saying I agree with this limit for a single-handler but if you go multihull you have to go on a longer waterline length to carry the same payload that you carry on a monohull, otherwise you should stick with a monohull. So we went 41 also.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Wasn't disagreeing with anything you said just trying to add to it. Sorry if it came across that way.

I have always heard that falls are the #1 reason people end up in nursing homes, so for sure osteoporosis = breaks/falls = nursing homes, so do what you can to keep the bone density up.
My apoligies, the subject was too close to home (well work anway) on the day.

What i have been trying to get at there are a number of things that we can do to ensure that we keep doing the things that we want to do. Some of the things that we accept as being unaviodable can be avoided. As you have stated keep an eye on bone density, most people only find out they have a problem when some thing is broken. Some times the break occours but is not decteted at the time causes a failure later.

Finding a problem in a test is a far better option especially as there are a whole range of treatments to preserve remaining density. They are best discussed with a GP because of potential interactions with other conditions/medications.

Ageing is often not the number of years that we have lived, but rather a reflection of the choices we have or are making. Not doing some thing is as much a choice as doing some thing.

One of the things that i have seen that causes people to age is the perceptions of others. It would be interesting to know just how many people give up cruising as a result of presure from their kids. I suspect that often the presure would be sugar coated by saying that the grand kids would like to spend more time with you.

Providing that you are not putting others at risk, you are only too old when you think you are. Should you die doing some think you love - you are one of the lucky one. Live life to the full and die with a smile on you face.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:00   #40

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Im 73 and Connies 60,and we are looking for our next boat. It must be 40 to 50 ft. with the equipment available today, if your fingers work you could sail most any size boat LOL we are more intersted in ROOM and a Tough boat, at our age we like our comfort!! we want watermaker, washer/dryer,gen set, proper nav equipment area, and the easyness of setting and douseing sails from the cockpit! with powerd winchs ect!! LOL we dont want much do we LOL but we will find what we are looking for ! even if we must add what we need or I should say want ? I don't think age has much to do with it as long as you are healthy! Just do it you mite like it !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
I just knew Connie was your child bride.

As for me, I hope to be taking care of dad till he is 102, then at age 69 I'll go back out again.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 13:30   #41

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

"Justwaiting" is so right ( except just waiting is not a good philosophy relative to this topic)...the sheer physical activity...activity...Vit D from sunlight...fish....all factors in improving and sustaining healthy bones are directly associated with the privilege of being a sailor...activity is key....Sailing is one of the most wonderfully healthy activity there is...as is swimming ..which goes along w/the benefit of sailing in warm waters....pitch the lines and get going...times a wasting...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 14:39   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
On a personal level we decided that once I could no longer wind the better half up to the top of the mast manually --- we must stop cruising offshore! Thanks goodness we are still able to do these tasks (63 and 56). Takes a bit longer than when we started though!
Get a Milwaukee 1/2 inch right angle drill with 28 VDC lithium battery and winch adapter. (or ATN top-climber) Its the easiest way up with a self tailing winch. KEEP SAILING.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1298.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	38252  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 14:47   #43

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
On a personal level we decided that once I could no longer wind the better half up to the top of the mast manually --- we must stop cruising offshore! Thanks goodness we are still able to do these tasks (63 and 56). Takes a bit longer than when we started though!
Get a Milwaukee 1/2 inch right angle drill with 28 VDC lithium battery and winch adapter. (or ATN top-climber) Its the easiest way up with a self tailing winch. KEEP SAILING.
Great idea, something I'll tuck away.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 16:26   #44

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Great idea, something I'll tuck away.
And you can buy the winch bits already made up>>> HOME
Old 03-03-2012, 18:37   #45

Boat: 1965 Alberg 35 #190

except for the fact that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Better brace yourself, shipmate, JLS