Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2014, 15:11   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: How Much Water Will My Liveaboard Family Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
...... "Going Bad" I assume refers to biological growth, and by not having chlorine in the RO water, biological growth can happen sooner in RO Water. But remember, after about 10 days the Chlorine in tab water will off gas and be gone anyway…so then the waters are pretty much equal in “going bad”.
We only add water maker water to our tanks and have for the last 7 years and we bleach our tanks every 6 months because if we don’t algae will grow in the tank no matter how careful you are and it will start tasting, as my wife says, like a pond......
That sounds like a way too frequent need to shock the system. You must not be getting some colony in some area clean -- maybe in the tank vents or some long output piping on a less used run. We do ours every couple of years with no problems -- full time live aboard.

Old 16-08-2014, 17:40   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
............ What I was trying to say was one should not rely exclusively on a single water tank for emergency drinking water, at least when at sea or otherwise far from a fresh water supply. ...........
I understand and agree. We rely on continually shifting the tank usage and keeping a turn-over without leaving any tank for a long term without use. As you point out, it's very important to evaluate the water that you are taking into tanks in remote places. We've had some with an unacceptable salinity and some we turned away from due to questionable taste. Even when we are at a slip with a water source from the dock, we continue to draw from our tanks. Over many decades aboard, we have only had bad water when we let it sit too long without use.

Old 16-08-2014, 18:37   #78

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

We have never pickled the Spectra over the last 4 years when we leave the boat for a month or two. we just use the Z brane.

I am not sure why but this does not often come up as a valid alternative to pickling.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 19:05   #79
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
We have never pickled the Spectra over the last 4 years when we leave the boat for a month or two. we just use the Z brane.

I am not sure why but this does not often come up as a valid alternative to pickling.
There are many cruisers that go years without pickling the water maker, I think we are actually on year 5 ourselves. A fresh water flush (manuallly or automatic) or simply running the unit at least once every 5-7 days just negates the need to ever pickle. People make too big a deal about pickling anyway...it doesn't hurt the membrane and just takes a few minutes to do, but for some reason there is a mythology around pickling that makes it sounds like a big deal like you are hurting the system of it's come all day affair.

The Z-Brane techology is proprietary to Spectra, which is why you don't see it on other units, but the basic technology itself isn't rocket science.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 02:25   #80

Boat: Cal 2-46

Washing down with fresh water? Struth. why would anyone bother? And the comment that it will keep the boat pristine just shouts of ignorance. But I think get the biggest water maker you can fit or afford, they are a god send. AC / DC ?? we used a Schenker 12 v and the wind gen normally took care of power. We have four tanks. 2 x 100L and 2 x 200L. Over 7 months only ever had one tank hooked in. The 100 L hooked in and never even used that up.
The trip back from Europe. Wow. Take it slowly, there is so much to see and Australia is such a disappointing cruising area except the whitsundays.
Good luck.
Old 19-08-2014, 03:25   #81

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jimmyhenry,

Your comment that only the Whitsundays are good cruising in Australia strikes me as mainly meaning your cruising in Australia has not been extensive.

Ann
Old 19-08-2014, 04:42   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhenry View Post
Washing down with fresh water? Struth. why would anyone bother? And the comment that it will keep the boat pristine just shouts of ignorance. But I think get the biggest water maker you can fit or afford, they are a god send. AC / DC ?? we used a Schenker 12 v and the wind gen normally took care of power. We have four tanks. 2 x 100L and 2 x 200L. Over 7 months only ever had one tank hooked in. The 100 L hooked in and never even used that up.
The trip back from Europe. Wow. Take it slowly, there is so much to see and Australia is such a disappointing cruising area except the whitsundays.
Good luck.
I don't know where you are doing your Australian cruising, but I think you have been doing it all wrong. The whitsundays are nice but no way are they the best.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:58   #83

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Yep the other 35,000 odd kilometres of coastline is obviously rubbish and the 12,000 klms of other islands not to mention the 700 something boring estuaries.
Old 19-08-2014, 08:11   #84
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhenry View Post
Washing down with fresh water? Struth. why would anyone bother? And the comment that it will keep the boat pristine just shouts of ignorance..
Ah....because....then there is the....and the....you know....
I don't know what the Octopuss has to do with anything, but I always wanted to use it, and besides my momma taught me about not saying anything if I can't say anything nice.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 20:22   #85

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
How Much Water Will My Liveaboard Family Use?

I know some of you don't see the need to wash down the boat while underway and don't think it accomplishes much. I don't use a wash down system in salt water but on Kentucky Lake, using lake water, I use it a lot as in the morning after anchoring out there are usually a lot of small bugs all over the cockpit and the deck. I wash down and they are gone. Keeps the boat from having black spots that are hard to clean later.

If I had a fresh water wash down while in salt water, I would use it to wash the salt crystals off the dodger and side panels of my enclosure. Since I use the enclosure while off shore, my cockpit doesn't get spray. If one doesn't have an enclosure, and most of my offshore sailing has been on boats that don't, a wash down of the cockpit freshens it up and keeps salt from being tracked into the salon. I would also wash down the deck after spray over the bow because the salt on the deck makes the deck much more slippery and dangerous while out of the cockpit. I certainly am not trying to start an argument here, but there are some reasons why it would be handy if the excess water was available. It may not be necessary, but it sure won't hurt your boat to wash it down. On long passages, you will probably have enough rain to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-08-2014, 09:41   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
..................... If I had a fresh water wash down while in salt water, I would use it to wash the salt crystals off the dodger and side panels of my enclosure. .............. I would also wash down the deck after spray over the bow because the salt on the deck makes the deck much more slippery and dangerous while out of the cockpit. ....................
I need to say that I do not have a watermaker and I do conserve my fresh water in my tanks, but I still wash off the crusty accumulation of salt from spray. Ironically, this can be accomplished with salt water. A high concentration of salt can build from repeated layering of spray and evaporation. This accumulated salt can be dissolved with rinses of seawater and then the final rinse swiped with a mop leaving very little salt. In fact, leaving no more salt than a complete rinse with fresh water followed by one light waft of spray which will be occuring now and then anyway, - right?
Old 22-08-2014, 09:48   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think more than anything, if you have an excess of water, why not waste it? Sort of like the rich man lighting his cigar with a $100 bill I guess. But if I understand an RO unit, it's best that they be run frequently, so you can either just pump the water overboard, or find ways to use it. Shoot if I had that kind of water, I'd rinse the salt off of my anchor chain, bet it would take longer to rust.
Old 23-08-2014, 09:07   #88

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I need to say that I do not have a watermaker and I do conserve my fresh water in my tanks, but I still wash off the crusty accumulation of salt from spray. Ironically, this can be accomplished with salt water. A high concentration of salt can build from repeated layering of spray and evaporation. This accumulated salt can be dissolved with rinses of seawater and then the final rinse swiped with a mop leaving very little salt. In fact, leaving no more salt than a complete rinse with fresh water followed by one light waft of spray which will be occuring now and then anyway, - right?
Agreed. That has worked well for me for years.

Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, water, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: