Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 08:27   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How much training do you need to be a live aboard?

when it comes right down to it ASA classes take you from nothing to being able to bareboat charter with just 7 days of "training"
Old 31-12-2018, 08:43   #17

Boat: MacGregor, 1981, M25

I was 62 she was 59. Put our "stuff" in a storage locker. Moved aboard and stayed for 12 year's. Health forced us off. The only day we regret was the day we sold the boat and became dirt dweller's. Just do it while you still can. You'll screw a few thing's up but slow and steady will minimize the effect's. Life is short, have fun.
elcappytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:12   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

As others have pointed out, the best way to learn is to do. My suggestion is that you might want to crew on a few other boats before doing some serious sailing. Also, it would be helpful to have a coach (somebody who owns a similar sized boat) teach you the ins-n-outs of docking, motoring, etc. Sure, you can learn these things by yourself by just practicing, but it's so much easier when you have someone there with you to correct the inevitable "oops" moments. Your local brokerage might know of someone, or maybe a local yacht club. I'd ask around. Don't be afraid to tell them the truth: you've been away from it for a long time and need some help getting back up to speed.

If you were in the Holland MI area, I would volunteer to help you out for a brewsky after each successful outing.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:19   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Yes, sailing schools are a good option.

I was a skipper for a cruising sailing club for many years and I helped introduce many folks to sailing and spending up to two weeks aboard (on charters). A good option if you have such a club nearby. Many became boat owners.

Some basic instruction is a good idea, particularly on how to quickly reef your sails in changing wind conditions, downwind techniques, jibing, anchoring and docking. These are most of the areas that can get a new sailor in trouble. Also, buying a basic book on engine maintenance, plumbing, wiring and electronic navigation systems is a good investment. Stuff breaks. A basic onboard tool kit can save you money and towing bills.

Lastly, many of the popular brands of boat (Catalina, Sabre, Cape Dory, Nonsuch and the popular catamarans) have owners associations with very helpful websites. These, along with this forum, are a good stop before you settle on a particular model.

Jenn and I returned to sailing after a 22-year hiatus for me and no experience for her. We now live aboard our Cape Dory 31 in Maine all summer and love it. The 360-degree waterfront views we enjoy in our snug harbor are hard to beat, even in very expensive waterfront properties.

Enjoy the journey.

Jenn and Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 10:33   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much training do you need to be a live aboard?

When your looking at a boat that is a serious candidate for buying, ask the owner if he is willimg to take you out or accompany you a few times to helpfamiliarise you to the boats idiosyncrasies.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 12:26   #21

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

May I suggest that you read Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell. He knew nothing about sailing........ but he sure learnt. This is a classic.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 12:41   #22

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

After just posting that I ordered a copy as it's been years since I read it. I lent my copy to someone and it never came back. You won't regret buying this book. Don't lend it to anyone !!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 14:47   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We just bought our sailboat, never having been on a sailboat before.
Buy a book on sail trim maybe, although the simplest part of it is common sense, however like anything you can make it very complicated if you wish.
People have been going to sea for centuries before there was an ASA course.
However if money is no object, take the courses and Charter in some exotic location.
We didn’t cause first I wanted to spend the Charter money on a boat, and I figure Chartering in paradise to see if you want to live aboard would be like going on a Honeymoon to see what Marriage is like.
However we started out in a Marina with a car, and slowly cut the cord so to speak. We didn’t go cold turkey, we eased into it.
Just love your reply and the one by CSYMan. I feel people tend to over think these things or think things out of existence to begin with. Sure, if you can get some training go for it. But my first reaction to the title of this post was to put on some shorts and climb on a boat. There you go.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 14:53   #24

Another option to formal training is looking on sites like this for opportunities to serve as crew for boats owned by others. If you really want "formal" education, the ASA, NauticEd, and RYA are all good resources. You can find sailing simulators for your phone, tablet, or computer to get your brain working along those lines again.

I'm also brand new and just beginning to get my feet wet. I did opt for a liveaboard school but those can be a bit pricey. It seems that whatever school you choose, they're all equally expensive.

Good luck.
PvilleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:02   #25

ASA 101, 103, and 104, or a big bag of cojones.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:02   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxoncross View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I am 66.
At 66, the toughest adjustment may be sitting down to pee!
[emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:19   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard! I say just get in and go but just start by doing everything very slowly... like docking, moving around the boat, etc. and in time you'll naturally be back up to your old speed.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 19:13   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Most live-aboards never leave the marina, much less actually sailing anywhere. Even though marina regulations require every boat to be navigable under its own power.
The only "training" you may need is to learn about on-board systems; electrical, plumbing, etc. Get a good book about those systems, read up. then you will have a better idea of what to look for in a boat purchase for live-aboard use. BTW congratulations on your decision!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 20:13   #29

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

At the very least you need to be potty trained. Anything more is a bonus.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 21:09   #30
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Most live-aboards never leave the marina, much less actually sailing anywhere.
Not so sure about that.
Perhaps we lived in different worlds?