Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 09:07   #16

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: How much time do you spend in your cockpit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Funny someone mentioned sleeping in it. I agree. I wish I could. I am too long or the cockpit is too short in our case. I wish I could sleep in the cockpit on the fine days of our passages as well as on the dry days when anchored. It happens to me quite often that while in the West Indies the sun goes down and I do not feel like going down below, it can be so nice and sweet outside. And then you can wake up to the rising sun too. Cream. IMHO

So to think of a perfect cockpit, being able to sleep in it could be one of the checkpoints.

b.
When choosing a boat, space on the cockpit for sleeping, is a needed requirement for me. I do passages alone (3 or 4 days) at night since my wive really hates it, so I "sleep" on the cockpit and make 15m naps.

When on anchorages and the wind is really very strong I also prefer to sleep on the cockpit.

Regarding being on the cockpit it is about all the time with exceptions of sleeping time, some reading before sleep and preparing the next leg.

On the med that is very usual and that's why today's boats have huge cockpits. That's the main living space, the outdoors's saloon
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:47   #17

My cockpit. Typically I feel like on most cruising boats in general the cockpits are not very long to maximize accommodations belowdecks and on boats with wheels specifically the bench seats often have cut outs for the wheel so that the benches are too short for comfortable sleeping.

Additionally the benches are for intended primarily for sitting and often too narrow for sleepng. Also sleeping on the benches risks being rolled onto the sole. One of the main reasons I picked this boat was the cockpit. Great for sleeping in. The sole is more than seven feet long and three feet wide.

During my experience in a six day gale we got boarded twice filling the cockpit which took out the engine control panel. Mine is located below the bridge deck and I installed a opening port light to keep it protected from such an occurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	114249  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I am not a World cruiser so I'm immediately disqualified.
When I was boat shopping, I wanted a smaller cockpit, figuring less water could be taken on if I got pooped, but mostly more room in the boat as a cockpit comes out of interior room of course.
Now I'm very glad I got a boat with a big cockpit, as when we are not in the Marina, I sort of live in the cockpit and having one big enough that you can lay down and stretch out with a pillow has become a necessity.
When we are in the Marina, we are never in the cockpit, too much like being on display, but underway especially I'm always in the cockpit except to use the head or fix a sandwich or something.
Wife on the other hand will stay below and read a book.
Pretty quickly I figured out that good lighting for the cockpit was important for when we are on the hook, I mean good, bright, white light, at least as bright as down below.
But outside of the Marina, good weather and no bugs, I'm in the cockpit, if I'm not then I'm working on something.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I am not a World cruiser so I'm immediately disqualified.
When I was boat shopping, I wanted a smaller cockpit, figuring less water could be taken on if I got pooped, but mostly more room in the boat as a cockpit comes out of interior room of course.
Now I'm very glad I got a boat with a big cockpit, as when we are not in the Marina, I sort of live in the cockpit and having one big enough that you can lay down and stretch out with a pillow has become a necessity.
When we are in the Marina, we are never in the cockpit, too much like being on display, but underway especially I'm always in the cockpit except to use the head or fix a sandwich or something.
Pretty quickly I figured out that good lighting for the cockpit was important for when we are on the hook, I mean good, bright, white light, at least as bright as down below.
But outside of the Marina, good weather and no bugs, I'm in the cockpit, if I'm not then I'm working on something.
Yeah, I think there is too much emphasis on a small cockpit. You live there, you need room.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:14   #20

Quote:
That's curious, mine too and I don't understand why. Even at anchor with plenty shade on the cockpit she prefers to go down for reading. I read a loot too but do that on the cockpit, even at night.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:25   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think it's because she doesn't like sailing, Mine had rather sit in the Marina or go out shopping or out to eat, going for a sail she will do if we have to.
At first she was terrified to fly with me, but soon got over that. She liked flying as you got to places fast and I think she liked having a private airplane, but she was never one to want to go to the airport with me to just go flying, ever.
I hope she will be OK with sailing as we go places, but I doubt it will ever be anything she particularly enjoys, she hates passages.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 14:59   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

With a cockpit like this, you spend a lot of time in it, awake and sleeping
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	114263  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 15:20   #23

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

From Canaries to the Caribbean, we spent three weeks forced below deck due to constant water coming in the cockpit (mostly just splashes, but enough to keep you constant wet). I'm sure on a large Cat that wouldn't have been an issue or a boat with proper weather clothes. Our new boat has even less freeboard, so well sew up a set of clothes to protect the cockpit.

In the Caribbean, it seemed it was typically too hot, cold, windy, buggy or some other reason to not sit above deck like we thought we would. I would estimate 2 hours a day when at anchor. This is part of the reason we went for a pilothouse type boat. Now we can sit in comfort and still observe our surroundings.

Matt
Old 03-12-2015, 15:21   #24

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

In a marina, rarely so

On hook, quite often

Under sail, as much as possible, in good weather..

FOR MEALS, only if not windy. I hate eating cold pasta !!

PS I honestly have 2 cockpits, I referred to the guests-one :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:05   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
From Canaries to the Caribbean, we spent three weeks forced below deck due to constant water coming in the cockpit (...)

Matt
Matt,

What kind of boat was she? Something fast/racing, no dodger, etc?

Our boat is only 26 ft and the freeboard is about 2ft 6 inches. This one sails very dry and we spend all time in the cockpit (dodger and full set of weather canvas round the cockpit too, sure).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 16:32   #26

Quote:
I think it's because she doesn't like sailing, Mine had rather sit in the Marina or go out shopping or out to eat, going for a sail she will do if we have to.
At first she was terrified to fly with me, but soon got over that. She liked flying as you got to places fast and I think she liked having a private airplane, but she was never one to want to go to the airport with me to just go flying, ever.
I hope she will be OK with sailing as we go places, but I doubt it will ever be anything she particularly enjoys, she hates passages.
Have hope, mine is much better now. At the beginning she went by airplane and I sailed alone to the cruising grounds. Now she sails with me...except in what regards night passages or sailing upwind with force 6 or over.

She goes inside when we are at anchor, while sailing she remains now on the cockpit and helps...but used to go inside, some years ago.
Old 03-12-2015, 16:48   #27

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Matt,

What kind of boat was she? Something fast/racing, no dodger, etc?

Our boat is only 26 ft and the freeboard is about 2ft 6 inches. This one sails very dry and we spend all time in the cockpit (dodger and full set of weather canvas round the cockpit too, sure).

b.
1989 34' Sabre. We were surprised too, as we had previously done around 10k miles with zero issue. It was just the right/horrible wavetrain from the Cape Verses to soak the cockpit ever few minutes for 3k miles. I would just change into dry, non salty clothes, stick my head out to look around, and get smacked with a few gallons of seawater. We also get popped a few times hard. Enough force to squirt saltwater all the way up to the v berth through the tiny crack in the companionway boards. Very glad to have a quick draining cockpit and strong autopilot for those three weeks.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-12-2015, 17:49   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I think it depends on the covers.
I have a bimini but no dodger. So I get wind blasted from the trades. Other thing is its too bright to use my computer.
I am getting a dodger and new covers now so it will be wind free and darker... hopefully I w/o be in the cockpit 24/7
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 21:31   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am very lazy. With a Bimini, Dodger and a windvane my major concern is how can I sleep as much as possible when on passage. So I set up my bed with cushions, prop my head to I only have to open my eyes and look around every little while.
I am looking into getting a ice chest next to me so I don't even have to go down to eat and drink.
I do still have to go down to use the head, but I got some ideas and I'm a pretty good plummer...
Unfortunately, when land is this close I actually have to get up and do something.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sunshine coast.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	114282  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit