Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2011, 06:03   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Dingy in to shore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
And for those that Anchor almost exclusively, how many days a week or a month do you dingy in to shore?

I would go ashore every day. Occasionally I might stay all day on board - especially if some nutcase is blathering stupidly on this forum and needs a bit of 'advice'.

Some folks seem happy to be on their boats the whole time, some never on deck, and if thats their thing fine. But I guess most people get a little stir crazy and need a walk or an enforced shopping trip to buy one thing etc.

There does seem to be a difference with people who have a purpose instead of those cruisers who are just hanging out. Here, I am just hanging out for the whole hurricane season trying to save money for future active cruising. So you can guess there's not much going on! However those actively cruising, or with a purpose/goal/ etc may be off the boat all day every day.

I think it is important to have lots of interests so cruising is active and purposeful and goal-laden otherwise cruising can get - well - boring! I am listening to the morning VHF radio net and if I hear about the Shopping Bus one more time, .... but I am here till November.

Cruisers even if retired are only going to die if they have retired from life. Take more than crappy detective novels and have real interests: Have every book on fish identification / marine biology etc and go snorkeling and identify every fish seen.
Have guide books and learn the history of every building and its architecture etc etc.

Figuratively, literally and intellectually cruisers need to get "off the boat" every day. OK, almost every day.... We do need our relax time from our hectic cruising lives!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 13:08   #17

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ

I would go ashore every day. Occasionally I might stay all day on board - especially if some nutcase is blathering stupidly on this forum and needs a bit of 'advice'.

Some folks seem happy to be on their boats the whole time, some never on deck, and if thats their thing fine. But I guess most people get a little stir crazy and need a walk or an enforced shopping trip to buy one thing etc.

There does seem to be a difference with people who have a purpose instead of those cruisers who are just hanging out. Here, I am just hanging out for the whole hurricane season trying to save money for future active cruising. So you can guess there's not much going on! However those actively cruising, or with a purpose/goal/ etc may be off the boat all day every day.

I think it is important to have lots of interests so cruising is active and purposeful and goal-laden otherwise cruising can get - well - boring! I am listening to the morning VHF radio net and if I hear about the Shopping Bus one more time, .... but I am here till November.

Cruisers even if retired are only going to die if they have retired from life. Take more than crappy detective novels and have real interests: Have every book on fish identification / marine biology etc and go snorkeling and identify every fish seen.
Have guide books and learn the history of every building and its architecture etc etc.

Figuratively, literally and intellectually cruisers need to get "off the boat" every day. OK, almost every day.... We do need our relax time from our hectic cruising lives!
Excellent ideas! I was actually just thinking yesterday that knowing me, I will have to find ways to deal with boredom and restlessness. I can only read so much...and not a movie person. The fish ID for snorkeling is one I know could keep me entertained for a long time. When I've ID'd all the fish...time to move on!

Old 09-07-2011, 19:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: How Much Time at Dock Compared to an Anchorage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
Excellent ideas! I was actually just thinking yesterday that knowing me, I will have to find ways to deal with boredom and restlessness. I can only read so much...and not a movie person. The fish ID for snorkeling is one I know could keep me entertained for a long time. When I've ID'd all the fish...time to move on!
Boy are you in for a shock! Dealing with "boredom and restlessness" is not a problem for full time cruisers. Dodging and ducking out of work that needs to be done perpetually on the boat is our main vice. The "to do" list gets so big as you cruise along from island to island that you need to put it on a computer to keep from sinking the boat with the weight of paper lists.
- - It is a well worn out saying that cruisers sail from one repair job to another or one boat parts store to another. In actuality, the seas are a rough and tumble place that really beats on your boat when underway. So things are always breaking or in need of adjusting or re-tightening.
- - Add in the social schedule in major cruiser crossroads and you will wish you were back at work in the home country where you had "time off."
- - Our to-do lists are broken in categories: first is "we're gonna sink if we don't fix this;" Then "we are going to have to spend 2x or 3x if we don't fix/replace this;" and finally, "Well, we aught to do this but we can put it off until tomorrow." That's my favorite list.
Old 09-07-2011, 21:13   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
Excellent ideas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Boy are you in for a shock!
Are you criticising someone who thinks I have excellent ideas?

She is obviously an intelect, a good sailor and ..... ummmm....

It doesn't happen often

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 21:15   #20

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: Dingy in to shore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Have every book on fish identification / marine biology etc and go snorkeling and identify every fish seen.
Mark,
What Fish ID books are your favorites?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Old 09-07-2011, 21:38   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail

Boy are you in for a shock! Dealing with "boredom and restlessness" is not a problem for full time cruisers. Dodging and ducking out of work that needs to be done perpetually on the boat is our main vice. The "to do" list gets so big as you cruise along from island to island that you need to put it on a computer to keep from sinking the boat with the weight of paper lists.
- - It is a well worn out saying that cruisers sail from one repair job to another or one boat parts store to another. In actuality, the seas are a rough and tumble place that really beats on your boat when underway. So things are always breaking or in need of adjusting or re-tightening.
- - Add in the social schedule in major cruiser crossroads and you will wish you were back at work in the home country where you had "time off."
- - Our to-do lists are broken in categories: first is "we're gonna sink if we don't fix this;" Then "we are going to have to spend 2x or 3x if we don't fix/replace this;" and finally, "Well, we aught to do this but we can put it off until tomorrow." That's my favorite list.
Omg I didn't take that as criticism at ALL! I'm excited to hear that, actually!!! As I have not cruised yet for any period of time, I am just looking at my myriad of emotions on land on a day to day basis, and applying them to an unfamiliar setting. I find that I get bored, restless, and this sort of nagging uneasiness when it's time for a change. I'm also a chronic "must be busy" person. However I'm on holiday at the moment, slept til noon today (first time for THAT in years, and found the peace relaxing. But if you say I'll be busy, then so be it! And I love a busy social calendar! :-) I'll still look for fish ID book tho, and once I get into areas of good warm water diving, I can spend hours underwater looking for nudibranchs.
Old 10-07-2011, 00:00   #22

Boredom? Idletime? Wanting to go ashore? When cruising? In my daydreams!

Doesn't happen. If I have a free moment I just hop off the transom and visit the reef fish that live 2 meters behind me, or practice guitar, or whistle at the birds in the jungle hanging above said reef, or swim over to neighbor for a chat, or....more free time and I go for a sail in the Rock Islands.
Old 10-07-2011, 00:41   #23

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Boredom? Idletime? Wanting to go ashore? When cruising? In my daydreams!

Doesn't happen. If I have a free moment I just hop off the transom and visit the reef fish that live 2 meters behind me, or practice guitar, or whistle at the birds in the jungle hanging above said reef, or swim over to neighbor for a chat, or....more free time and I go for a sail in the Rock Islands.
You really enjoy rubbing it in, don't you...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Check out “FishBase”
A Global Information System on Fishes
FishBase : A Global Information System on Fishes

Search ➥ Search FishBase

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:11   #25

Awesome! And it any other slugophiles out there...here is a good nudibranch site

http://www.seaslugforum.net/
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There are other choices besides anchoring and marinas. In some parts of the world, you have actual ports. In the UK and Atlantic France, they tend to be one-half or one-third of the price of marinas and much more interesting places to be. You are typically in the middle of an old port town.

There are typically less amenities, but so what? Some of them don't have walk on access so you have to use your dinghy or a water taxi. Some of them don't have floating pontoons, so you have to put out fender boards and tend lines as the boat goes up and down against the quay wall with the tide. Some of them don't have electricity or water.

Weymouth is one of my favorite places of this type. A very ancient, beautiful port town. If there's space, you can moor up on the quay right in the middle of the old town.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

When sailing:
95% anchor
5% marina

When wintering over:
95% marina,
5% anchor

But we were not ´full time cruising liveaborad´; we were more like full time sailing cruisers.

b.
Old 10-07-2011, 13:20   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

in the past 10 years, i have been at a dock only this few weeks i am here in mazatlan-- 3 weeks now,in marina and was on anchor for 4 weeks-- and only until nov, end of hurrycame season... and only for hurrycame season--i will do things differently next yr-- not go to a dock. i amnot a fan of marinas.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 14:55   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

We spend two days in a marina during our winter cruising ( six months). In Nassau we usually go to a marina to clear in and get our supply of rum. The rest of the time we're on the hook, no gas docks even, we jug fuel and water.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 15:13   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
... In Nassau we usually go to a marina to clear in and get our supply of rum ...
Now that Luden's is gone (he used to deliver to the BASRA dock), where do you get your rum?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: