Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 05:54   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
How Much Is Enough ?

I was recently conversing with a buddy who lives on the hook in Key West Harbor. He and his wife both work ashore and make good money, yet maintain a $100/week lifestyle. Myself on the otherhand, keep the boat in a slip with all the accouterments thereof.

I know that (at least when not cruising then I want to be away from the shore funk) I WANT a hot shower, fresh water, refrigeration, and a 100' walk to my truck. Now obviously this thread does not apply to weekenders, but I'd like to hear from all the full-timers; how much is enough?
Old 19-12-2010, 06:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
There's more to it then the slip cost. You can easily calculate that.
It comes down to lifestyle. It's very easy to spend a lot of money on entertainment. How often do you eat out, go to the bar, go to movies, take road trips, attend sporting events, etc. That can add up.
How about Cable, internet, cell phone, insurance, electronic gadgets, cars, etc, etc.

It's up to you. How bad do you want to live cheaply?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:09   #3

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
I guess it depends on how you like to spend your $$. If you're saving to go cruising, you cut back on expenses any way you can. I've got all the luxuries you mention (except the 100' walk to the truck) when I'm on the hook, using no fuel. But if you're happy where you are, then go for it!
Old 19-12-2010, 06:37   #4

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We returned home in July this year and headed back to work. Until October we lived on the hook much as we had done while cruising. The difference was we were now going to work. We are now on a dock for the winter. Need electrical plug ins for ice eater and so on. It is more convenient to go places ashore this way. I expect we will anchor out beginning in May 2011 until October again.
It's all about what you want to do. Putting money aside for cruising is not about what you make it is all about what you keep.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 07:06   #5

Boat: Bombay PH 31
I put in all the pileings there at conch harbour and never could afforod a single day!
When i was tied o the dock in stock island i got down to 300 a week income. barely enough. dont drink,smoke or have much fun.
Now on the hook up here and scrounge for a buck fifty a week. a hundreds enough. Much less worries than when i was makeing sixty five a contact hour there!.

BTW, PM me if you want a cuban chart kit and software at 50 each thats how im feeding the kids and genarator.
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 08:36   #6

Boat: Beneteau 393
I think most of your answers are the same no matter where you live, be it slip, hook, or dirt. We are at a slip, but never moved aboard for the purpose of saving money. Saving money is all about reducing your spending on nice-to-have items and simplifying your must-haves. For us living on the hook isn't practical- we both work and have two kids that go to daycare so we can work. But some people have a lifestyle that makes living at a slip a nice-to-have, not must-have item. Then you can view it like movies, eating out, or any other non-essential item and you could really start saving money.

I'm with you, though. I like what "luxuries" we have at the slip (not like hot water and power are luxuries to all those living on land!). With two kids to take care of while still maintaining full-time jobs, I wouldn't even consider living on the hook until we're full-time cruising.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 09:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
............. With two kids to take care of while still maintaining full-time jobs, I wouldn't even consider living on the hook until we're full-time cruising. Frank
We lived aboard for many years with shore jobs and our children tied to land activities with only cruising in the summers. Now, as "empty-nesters" and retired, we spend long periods of time cruising and away from the marinas with the shore amenities. Although our income is only sixty percent of what it was before retirement, our living expenses have dropped even more dramatically. We are taking advantage of the freedoms and cost savings of non-ownership,...no cars, no shore storage, no memberships, no contracts for communication services beyond theo most basic cell phone. We tend to cycle through phases. After many months cruising and "on the hook" we are excited by a marina stay at the monthly rate. Then, after a time at the marina, we can't wait to get away from the marina and off to cruising again. Since we normally select only monthy rates at the "non-resort" and less expensive marinas, our expenses while cruising are about the same as our expenses at the dock. Our cruising expenses away from the marina are diesel costs, some mooring fees, entry fees, and more entertainment and restaurants ashore. Much of our spending while cruising is discretionary and the option is always there for livng with the least cost while at anchor.
Old 19-12-2010, 10:09   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
when this boat leaves out from under the bridge, she will not return to san diego---yeah, i will still have a boat here, but by the time i leave i should be well rid of my car,the shade of the bridge, my storage, my NEIGHBORS!!!YAY!!!! AND whatever else is irrelevant....... my formosa will not be returning here, as there is no place to place her. we are only allowed one mooring ball, and i have 2-- been here waaay too long and market is waaay too bad. as i live on ssdi income only, my budget will be-and is- accordingly smallish. i prefer to have the breezes flowing thru the boat rather than using a dock. once in a great while i will make way to a dock-- for laundry, provisioning and other amenities. as i am used to taking a dink to beach, not using marinas should be be a major change...
when i worked, i made bank and still lived on mooring---was easy--had a camper van and i kept it at the hospital i slaved away in and slept there in darkness---very convenient. i also had a resident call room for my personal use.. was awesome. i kinda miss the on call room...took some time to rid meself of the entrapments of land work and land connections--i havent many anymore..not even cardboard.....i willonly have rent on my ericson to pay monthly and the rest of my income is for my pocket and saving for canal...
oh yes--and despite the fact that my last 5 yrs in my career were spent earning 90k/per yr and not having to pay income tax and not ..yada yada--i STILL didnt save for retirement, even tho i am of age---so now i get to live on a grossly smaller income and enjoy the freedom.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 11:33   #9

Boat: Pearson 281
I worked and lived aboard at the marina and got a deal on a gym membership right at the marina which was located blocks from the heart of a sweet little beach town. But this was back when we were paying 7.00 per foot. I dunno if I could have managed a job living on the hook or a mooring. Your siuation at the hospital was pretty sweet Zee and I think for anyone wanting to cut corners to build up a cruising kitty it pays to get creative with hygene and transportatiopn issues... easier said than done anymore.
This is at the heart of my grrls transition... she has not yet come to see that getting away means being really economical and focused for awhile as we get up to speed on a safe boat and some $$$ back-up.
She said to me the other day "I've never met anyone who didn't like nice things like you don't" and I responded, "I like nice things as much as the next person but now I'd rather have great experiances."
I just picked up a job to be sure that we are moving forward.
ONWARD!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 12:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
.............. But this was back when we were paying 7.00 per foot..............
It always amazes me how fast times change. Now $7/foot/month sounds cheap and we remember paying $1.50/foot/month.
Old 19-12-2010, 13:10   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
add upward to onward--excelsior-onward ever upward--NY state motto--only state with a usable motto!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:14   #12

This question is kinda like asking "How much does a car cost?" The answer is, "It depends. Are you thinking a used Chevy or a new BMW?" In order to answer "how much is enough" I think you first need to answer the question, "What does my life aboard have to look like so it doesn't feel like I'm camping out?" Refrigeration? Fast internet? Nearly limitless water and power? Air conditioning?
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 14:42   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
This question is kinda like asking "How much does a car cost?" The answer is, "It depends. Are you thinking a used Chevy or a new BMW?" In order to answer "how much is enough" I think you first need to answer the question, "What does my life aboard have to look like so it doesn't feel like I'm camping out?" Refrigeration? Fast internet? Nearly limitless water and power? Air conditioning?
Not to mention country you plan to be in and exchange rate.
Old 19-12-2010, 14:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If you eat, drink n smoke and have change at the end of the week you've got enough.... if you gotta cut back on food.... you have not...
Time to start work.... again

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:12   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Y'all got me laughing.... Today for instance, I was working doing a bit of carpentry for a friend and had to go to Homer D... I stopped at the boat for lunch (out of the fridge. heated in microwave) Had I been "out there" I would have bought lunch in town or brown bagged it. The slip is handy if nothing else! Right now it is a wee chilly, I have a space heater going and I ain't the slightest bit worried about my battery bank!

So are the amenities that we seek strictly based on what we can afford? As I said above, when I'm cruising it's a whole different ball of wax; I only take a slip 1x a week and that is mostly just for provisions/water/fuel/dump the head. What I'm after is the day-to-day live-aboard-go-to-work scenario.... As in the case of my buddy...IF you can afford it why not? Why live in not much more than a floating campsite?