Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 16:39   #16

Okay, gotcha on the difference between what I WANT and what I NEED ... I'm perfectly willing to be uncomfortable because that's the only way I can get to a unique experience (e.g., sleeping on the hard cold ground in the Rocky Mountains after hiking in to a campsite at 9000 feet so I can hear the elk bugling their mates down from the mountains to winter pastures; or freezing my *body parts* off watching the northern lights). Absent one of those situations, I like climate control, ice in my rum, a car for land cruising, and the only thing I want to make for dinner is reservations.

I worked for it, delayed cruising until the kitty was not only fat but bloated, and live on a smaller, paid-in-full boat. Like you said, if you can afford it, why not?
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:49   #17

I need a lot more to be happy living on a boat working 40 hours a week. Say what you want about boats, but it's far from "convenient" and certainly not conducive to working 8-5 in an office that requires you to look decent. It's not hard to live on a boat and it's not hard to work 8-5, but doing both can suck a bit especially when the weather turns south.

So while working our full time jobs having the marina is nice. But when working part time or not working, being on a hook is fine.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:49   #18

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
How much is enough isn't about money to me.

How much is enough means that I have had all I can stand of the shoreside existence. My cup is running over with all the nonsense, and I'm just not willing to put up with it any longer.

The curves of life have crossed, and now time is more important than money. I'm running out of time, and I can always get more money if I need it.

Check out this piece I wrote about the curves of life.

You only get one life, so you better get it right the first time.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Rebel... you've gotta go hard core me ole mucka... like sitting under a quilt in -20c sipping coffee and reading books for the fifth time in Beaufort NC just to take your mind of things.....
Jeez.... some folks just don't get it... your there by choice... there's no option of a cozy home to run to like some of the pompous know it all plonkers who shoot their mouths of on here... you go hard core or wimp out to your condo....
Some of us aint got the bucks... that does not make us less of a sailor... in fact more the opposite...
Rebel... this is not a personal statement.. more a general thing aimed at those 'Who Know'.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 17:01   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Maxingout Dave, I enjoyed your "Curves of Life", though I see a lot more flexibility and fluctuations in that gusto curve than a peak at 18. I'm trying to ride some wave crests! ...good message, thanks,
Old 19-12-2010, 18:47   #21

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I would add that the final figure also depends on what type of boat and how much your original investment is. Put it this way, if you're on the hook, you can afford a boat that has a state of the art solar/wind charging system, built in water maker, decent electric system and inverter to power electric cooking-water heating and don't mind eating fish every day, then you can virtualy live for free!

Now, of course, that's extreme, as surviving just on your own fishing would be a bit dull and most people will have to pay for fuel to cook and heat water, etc. but you get the idea.

My next boat will certainly be kitted out to make it as self sufficient as possible, sure it'll be a large investment to start with but from then on, i'll have the piece of mind that my daily costs will be low.
Old 19-12-2010, 19:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Rebel... you've gotta go hard core me ole mucka... like sitting under a quilt in -20c sipping coffee and reading books for the fifth time in Beaufort NC just to take your mind of things.....
Jeez.... some folks just don't get it... your there by choice... there's no option of a cozy home to run to like some of the pompous know it all plonkers who shoot their mouths of on here... you go hard core or wimp out to your condo....
Some of us aint got the bucks... that does not make us less of a sailor... in fact more the opposite...
Rebel... this is not a personal statement.. more a general thing aimed at those 'Who Know'.....
I have no idea what you just said.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 19:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have no idea what you just said.
And you think I do....???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 22:32   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
rofl
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 23:17   #25

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Enough is enough, and too much is too much.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 03:19   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
Admit it people:

Enough is enough, and too much is better!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:24   #27

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Admit it people:

Enough is enough, and too much is better!

kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:55   #28
CLOD

Boat: none
I didn't watch the video because I wonder how we got to pirates. I'm sure guns must be right behind. Talk about thread highjack.

Where's that new button!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 16:58   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I didn't watch the video because I wonder how we got to pirates. I'm sure guns must be right behind. Talk about thread highjack.

Where's that new button!
How about an "easy" button?
Old 20-12-2010, 17:27   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
WingNwing and MaxingOut seem to share my understanding of "what it takes". It's more than a choice made by money or comfort and it's not a choice of "one size fits all" or a choice that is right or wrong. I know of historical events where it's happened, but the people here aren't those that have been forced to live aboard boats in exile. Some thrive with minimal assets and some are carefree with excess, but neither is less honorable and all have access to a rewarding adventure.