Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 07:49   #1

Boat: Halmatic 30
How much do you shut down when you leave the boat?

Here's a question I have been meaning to ask for a while now...

At the moment I am working 5 days a week, so away from the boat for around 12 hours each working day. I have recently started to become slightly paranoid (especially in colder weather) about leaving sea cocks open, and have got into a routine now of shutting them when I leave for work and opening them on return.

Am I being overly cautious? Should I also isolate the batteries?

Sorry if these are real noob type questions.
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:20   #2

Re: How much do you shut down when you leave the boat?

It's about personal comfort, if it gives you peace of mind to do so ..... then do so

It generally only takes 3 minutes to close all the ball valves, so its not like you are investing a whole lot of time.

Doesn't matter what other people do, I have friends who have been liveaboard's for 26 years, they always turn off the heat and isolate the valves before leaving the boat .... me ...... heats always on and the only valve that's not in an operating state is the raw water feed to the engine

Neither of us have had issues in 26 years .....

Do what feels comfortable for you
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:18   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Propane and open flames off. The propane's only off at the solenoid, but we will never leave the boat with an open flame, either the diesel heater or the oven on. Automatic bilge pump on. Solar panels on. We mostly live on the hook, so there's no shore power involved, but it would be easy to turn it off at the circuit breaker if you've any stray electricity concerns, and then on again, as you arrive.

I agree with Navi, it really doesn't matter what others do, you have to develop processes that you are comfortable with, and it seems as if you're doing that.

Ann
Old 06-01-2018, 12:23   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Propane not in use... off at solenoid
Away overnight..... propane off at tank.... seacocks ( 6 ) closed.
Away longer and no food in fridge.... batts off

Thats about it....
Old 06-01-2018, 13:14   #5

Boat: Najad 373

I concur with the last comments. In addition when berthed in the marina, I never leave the electric supply on if away for more than a couple of hours. Some leave their own on for weeks, which made me add 2 anodes on my boat. I don’t judge but feel the effort is worth it... «*better safe than sorry*» is a good motto imho
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 13:19   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Same situation. Live aboard but away 12 hours a day for a paycheck.

Propane off at tank when not in use.

I leave daily-use seacocks open (kitchen sink, bilge outlet, cockpit drains).

110v system is on (only fridges and battery charger). 12v is off via breakers except for cabin lights, fans circuit.

Hatches and companionway unlocked (people will rob the rich motor yachts before getting all the way down the dock to my old sailboat)
Old 07-01-2018, 01:22   #7

Boat: Halmatic 30

Many thanks for your replies.

I think I will continue to turn off the sea cocks as it's literally a 15 second job as they are easily accessed. I will also add turning off the gas at the regulator (not something I had thought about!).

Shore power will need to be left switched on though, as it is running the fridge and the battery charger. I will switch it off if away on holiday though.

Thanks!
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:01   #8

Having had, and heard of others, having batteries fail and burn out under constant charge (probably when near to failing anyway) I always turn off my charger when away even if the power needs to be on for the dehumidifier and/or fridge.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47   #9

A friend lost a boat when the boat's pressure reducer valve broke. The boat sunk when it filled with fresh water. Disconnect the hose or turn off the dock valve when you are gone. It might save and boat and avoid a high water bill.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:46   #10
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I don’t close seacocks and I don’t shut the gas off (solenoid is always off if we aren’t using the stove). I just don’t worry that seawater hose that I regularly check condition of is suddenly going to break. I worry much more about the shaft seal that I can’t do anything about, and which has failed in past.

And I never connect shore water to the boat!
Old 07-01-2018, 09:54   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

It seems more than a bit ironic that people who are paranoid about shutting off the propane tank on the boat go home to a place where they never shut off the gas when away.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:56   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are some seacocks that I'll keep closed all the time, except when they need to be open. That includes the engine intake, the galley drain, the head intake. Instead of fussing with them all the time, just open them when you need them, and close them when you are done. You can easily argue "well, the galley drain needs to be open for dinner and breakfast, and I'm there overnight, so why bother?" and it comes down to convenience and personal choice. If it leaks in the middle of the night and ruins your sleep, wouldn't you prefer that it hadn't been leaking in the middle of the night?(G)
Of course if you use the head (or, let's admit it, a sink) in the middle of the night and prefer not to screw around with seacocks...that's enough reason to leave them open.
No one is going to come around making sneak inspections and leaving grades on your permanent record.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:54   #13

Boat: 32 contessa

my boat is moored so it gets left for weeks at end , i leave the bilge pump on auto , close gas and cocks solar is connected to keep the batteries up , the solar reg is a good quality unit and has a breaker (that has tripped before ) , i have been doing the same for 12 years no real dramas except when one of the kids dropped a candy wrapper and jammed the bilge pump impeller, The Shaft seal small drip over 2 weeks left a few gallon in the bilge (yes i changed out the seals ) ,, now i have a small Johnson $20 pump 2 inches higher as a just in case ,,,,
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 13:06   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It seems more than a bit ironic that people who are paranoid about shutting off the propane tank on the boat go home to a place where they never shut off the gas when away.

Bet they also don’t turn off the water then they leave the house.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Bet they also don’t turn off the water then they leave the house.
Right!

I know more than a few boaters who have a bunch of fire extinguishers onboard yet have maybe one, if any, at home.

As they say, 'common sense isn't that common'
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat