Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2012, 09:24   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
How many Liveaboards Actually Sail?

For those who are true full time "liveaboards", typically meaning full time living in a marina, how many of you actually sail your boat and how often?

I lived aboard full-time once for about year (just living not counting years of cruising), and my experience was that once the boat becomes a floating condo it is a real pain to prepare to get underway -- so I think we went out sailing only once during that time. Although I did a lot of sailing then on other boats racing, crewing, and instructor/captain work -- mine stayed at the dock.

I've also know a number of liveaboards who never sailed, and a few who never left the slip because they could not handle their boat under power or sail.

So, what's the consensus here -- do you sail your full time liveaboard boat? How frequently?

Old 23-09-2012, 09:30   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: How many Liveaboards Actually Sail?

i sail. i cruise from place to place and do not daysail. i usually sail every winter, as summer is not possible what with hurrycames and really rough seas and winds in the way.
i may have t o miss sailing this year as i m having problems with use of my hands.i can sail with others but not sola, at this time.

btw--home is where the boat is.....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:56   #3

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

I can't sail..... I have a cruiser...

We normally use our boat 2-3 times a month... from just day trips ( took our grandkids to Cumberland Island Ga last weekend) to 2-3 day trips...
Admiral is still working.

sometimes we will also just go out a mile or so, anchor out, have dinner then cruise back to the marina....

Know of many liveaboards who haven't left the dock in years...
Old 23-09-2012, 10:01   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

I sail my boat about once or twice a month. My neighbor who is also a full time live aboard sails his boat about every other weekend. Infact, he's out right now. OTOH, there are some people here who, I swear, their boats would sink if they tried to take them out into the harbor. All depends on the person I guess. Some people enjoy sailing, others just want a "cheap" waterfront condo.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:16   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Evening sail a couple of times each month. Weekends a couple of times each month. More in Spring and Fall (good conditions) less in Summer (not much wind) and Winter (cold). Mini-cruises for three or four weeks twice a year.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:20   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I have a house in Melbourne Australia, I built it myself, I dont intend selling it either,

I bought my boat in Fiji because I could afford it, I could not afford to finish building my own 40 foot steel cat,

My intension was to live aboard full time on it, Sail it around Australia, for a few years and then sell it,

Then I would continue living full time in an RV till I got too old and then come home to my house and maybe grow old,

My RV is currently in the USA being converted to R/H drive and Ozzie ADR's, it will be here in 9 weeks time,

I spent 6 weeks in Fiji as a full time live aboard, On a Swing mooring, Learning how to sail it and all the Gizmo's it had on board,

My drive shaft crapped out in the Burnett River in Bundaberg, So I spent a week or so on the slipway there waiting for parts, which did not eventuate,

I manufactured the parts myself using the slipways equiptment,

Then I spent nearly a week at Forster on the NSW coast tied to a pier, till I could get a TIG welder to come and reweld my dinghy davits back on the boat,

So about 3 months I have been sailing on the boat, two weeks I have been actually tied up to a pier or sitting on the slipway,

I was actually in a Marina in Fiji for two days at the start,

And once my boat is back in the water, some time this year, and all fixed up for water sailing">Blue Water sailing agin, I will be heading for the Kimberlys,

So it will be on the pick for a couple of days here and there on the way to the Kimberlys in the new year,
The Tourist thing,

I will be a full time live aboard and sailing for the next 18 months or so, I only need Marina's for diesel and food,As I am fully self sufficient for power on Board,

But I can get food from a supermarket by parking near the beach and using the dinghy,
Super markets here are usually across the road from the beach,
I can get diesel the same way, Servo across the road from the beach,

So I will be a sailing cruiser, Single Handed, My friend wont ever put foot on it again,

Do it before your dead, Hahahahaha

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 23-09-2012, 11:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Me, me, jumping up and down....

Use to do just day sails and an anchor out now and then while living aboard and working. Now I spend most of the time away from land enjoying every minute..
Old 23-09-2012, 14:49   #8

Like "Auspicious" we sail mostly Spring and Autumn in the Chesapeake, several times per month, mostly sailing to overnight anchorages just to get away from the day-to-day life and clear our heads; we also some years go south (Florida or Bahamas) for the winter. It's been 10 years since we full-time liveaboards have owned a house on land ... if we'd wanted a waterfront condo we would have purchased a boat that was less seaworthy and had more living space for her length than our CSY.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 19:46   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Hey, congratulations to all of you for actually getting out on the water! I've seen an awful lot of liveaboards in marinas who never leave the dock.

What prompted me to ask the question, was seeing someone post a question about the "best" liveaboard. My thought is that if you rarely, or never, leave the dock then a houseboat is a better choice than a sail boat.
Old 23-09-2012, 19:52   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
For those who are true full time "liveaboards", typically meaning full time living in a marina, how many of you actually sail your boat and how often?

I lived aboard full-time once for about year (just living not counting years of cruising), and my experience was that once the boat becomes a floating condo it is a real pain to prepare to get underway -- so I think we went out sailing only once during that time. Although I did a lot of sailing then on other boats racing, crewing, and instructor/captain work -- mine stayed at the dock.

I've also know a number of liveaboards who never sailed, and a few who never left the slip because they could not handle their boat under power or sail.

So, what's the consensus here -- do you sail your full time liveaboard boat? How frequently?

I sail my boat quite frequently. I sailed 14 days out of May. That ended, on the 14th day, with a bent rudder shaft. I have spent most of the summer helping a friend with his boat out of town. After bringing that boat back to Tampa I have cruising plans.

The trick is to keep the cubic ft of possessions under control, store them carefully, and use lee cloths. My cats each have their favorite "hidey hole" to go to when things get rough (they both went to them in the marina during "Debby"), but also have spaces on storage shelves. For a typical sail the ledges of the shelves make very good lee boards for them.

I think I'm the only live-aboard in this marina who takes his/her boat out, and I do so frequently. But I also sail with other people on their boats.
Old 23-09-2012, 19:54   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Hey, congratulations to all of you for actually getting out on the water! I've seen an awful lot of liveaboards in marinas who never leave the dock.

What prompted me to ask the question, was seeing someone post a question about the "best" liveaboard. My thought is that if you rarely, or never, leave the dock then a houseboat is a better choice than a sail boat.

I don't think I could ever be that realistic. I was laid up with a sprained back for several weeks this summer, but I still had the dream of sailing the boat when my back healed, which it has. It was murder to be that patient but I did it.
Old 23-09-2012, 20:44   #12
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

We have lived aboard now since Feb 1 of this year. Our boat is seaworthy but needs work so it's a trade off. We get out sailing as often as our schedules allow and as often as our conscience lets us. That is to say that we do go out even though we know there is work that should be getting done but sometimes even on those perfect sailing days, we just have to exercise some discipline and stay at the dock and get some work done.
We know we MUST find time for sailing though as that is the whole point of having a freaking sailboat, right!
Old 23-09-2012, 21:01   #13

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

We took the old boat out at least twice a month to keep it working well and enjoy the serenity of being away from land. We plan to do the same when we move aboard Tuesday even if it is just motoring until we become sailors again.

I've seen a lot of weekenders that never left the dock either, not just liveaboards. I had a friend 2 docks away that came down and "worked" on his boat every weekend but after he was "finished" with the project moved on to the next so he didn't have to take the boat out. He always said he was an expert sailor but we all wondered since he only did projects on the boat instead of sailing it. When he had it brought to the marina it was quite a project boat but after a couple of years it looked like brand new. Never left the dock but it sure looked good sitting there.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

For the last ten years we've been retired liveaboard fulltime cruisers, but for our first thirty years of living aboard we were in a slip and off to work each weekday except for summer sails to the Bahamas or the Florida Keys. Even working fulltime we managed frequent sailing, sometimes even in the evening after work. Our ability to get away from the dock was due to keeping our boat in a condition that would allow us to get underway in about ten minutes. We kept no debris on the dock or deck and everything secure. All we needed to do was unhook the shore power cord and the dock lines. We also kept our boat in a location that allowed immediate access to open water without strong currents or the need to break an inlet. Location and preparation are big factors allowing spontaneous sailing
Old 25-09-2012, 12:07   #15

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Location and preparation are big factors allowing spontaneous sailing
This. I haven't left dock in over a year. I could pack up and go in maybe 30 mins, I keep things pretty well stowed, but there's just nowhere to go. I have a skinny ICW and an inlet out to the Atlantic. And I got real bored of "sail one direction for 30 mins, turn around sail another direction for 30" the 2nd time out on the ocean.

I used to go out every couple weeks when I was in SW Florida and 30 mins from Lake Charlotte. There were a lot of places to explore there and tons of spots you could anchor and just have lunch.

But I'm also more of an explorer than sailor. When I'm in the boat I'd prefer to just keep on going and not come back, which doesn't work well at the moment since I'm working 8-5. As it is I use my kayak and bike and take them out exploring. I always want to see what's around that next bend.

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: