Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 14:29   #31

Re: How many Liveaboards Actually Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I don't disagree with that, but there are many people who are "liveaboards" who don't go anywhere--they literally just live aboard. Nothing wrong with that, but I was trying to point out that to me the term "liveaboard" indicates your living arrangement only, while the term "cruiser" indicates that you are a traveler by boat, and while you are doing that you are also living onboard.
Then there are those of us somewhere in the middle... we "liveaboard" year round, but for the most part don't do much "cruising" through the winter months. I don't know what to call us!

In the spirit of answering the original question posed in the thread, I would say we don't do much sailing just for the sake of sailing but, as indicated, we'll typically spend our summers out cruising, which means (for us) being out under sail at least weekly and frequently every day.

I say "for us" because we also run into self-described "cruisers" who sail out to their favorite spot and park there for several months, which seems more like "liveaboard" to us... so I guess the terms are fairly flexible!

In my book, as long as you're having fun, it doesn't matter what you want to call it.
ScuzzMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 16:28   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The bottom line is that most boats don't actually sail very much, no matter what classification their owners fall in. Go to any marina on a beautiful summer day and compare the number of empty slips to full slips. The people who sail the most are the small boat sailors and local racers. In general, the larger the boat, the less it is used.
Old 15-12-2012, 16:43   #33

Oh, I don't know ... if you come by our marina on any given weekend you'll usually find us in our slip. That's because we do most of our sailing midweek when the Bay is uncrowded, and we hang out at the marina on the weekends to socialize.

You can really get messed up if you make assumptions about how/why other people live the way they do, when you don't have all the info.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 16:48   #34

Quote:
In general, the larger the boat, the less it is used.
I agree. One thing we did when we bought our 34 in 1998: DISprove this comment, as far as WE were concerned! I'd say, after 14+ years, we've been pretty successful. A few years ago I broke my leg skiing and then six months later the titanium plate broke requiring a second surgery. After the first one, I spent those 3 months flat on my back figuring out how to get back ON the boat with my new-to-me crutches! It worked.

Since then I've determined that daysails just don't cut it for me anymore, so the minimum time I go out is at LEAST one night on the hook, usually once a week. Been three years so far, it's workin' out just fine.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 16:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzMonkey View Post
In my book, as long as you're having fun, it doesn't matter what you want to call it.
Well said (says the person without a boat)
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:06   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

At my marina, 3/4 of our liveaboards never leave the dock. One guy likes to race, and likes to entertain several boat bunnies at once, so he is out there a couple of times a week. I like to get away from the dock myself, even if it is just to go anchor out in the lake, or motor down the channel to Landry's for lunch. In the winter when my air conditioner isn't needed, I can usually be gone in less than ten minutes, by myself. When the AC is in use, a little longer. The installation is a $99 walmart 5kBTU window unit sitting on the foredeck, with a fiberglassed plywood cowl directing down the fore hatch, so all that stuff has to get cleared before I can leave the dock, requiring another 15 minutes or so. I try to keep stuff ready to go so I can go boogity when the mood strikes. Still tied to a dockside life but I can get away pretty easy for a short trip somewhere or a daysail. Works for me. Some of our non-sailors would need a couple of weeks of hard, knowledgeable work to get underway and don't care to make the effort and don't know how. It's all good. They are mostly pretty good neighbors.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:09   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
............... I always keep the boat ready to go with just a few minutes preparation............. My boat is always ready to go to Bermuda.................
Quote:
The bottom line is that most boats don't actually sail very much....................... The people who sail the most are the small boat sailors and local racers. In general, the larger the boat, the less it is used.
I give it up,- you're the man!
Old 15-12-2012, 17:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
You can really get messed up if you make assumptions about how/why other people live the way they do, when you don't have all the info.

Why people even bother with it beats me......

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 18:50   #39

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I live in a house full time,

My boat is a live aboard, It will always be ready to sail, I take what food I need, load it up, and go, When I come back, well, thats any ones guess,
Food and diesel I can get almost any where, pull the dinghy up on the beach walk across the road to super market for food or servo for diesel in 20 litre containers, Up anchor and away,

I dont live on it in a wet berth, Its not permitted here, I will be living on the anchor, not a marina,

It should be repaired in the next month or so, then early next year I will be away for nearly a year,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 22:54   #40

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Type liveaboard in you tube and you find several good videos on the subject.
Old 16-12-2012, 02:08   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, FWIW here's a data point:

We have lived aboard since 1986. During that time we have logged around 130,000 miles. When in harbour mode it takes us a couple of hours to get under way if we are in a hurry.

I have no idea what that proves...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-12-2012, 02:20   #42

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

The answer to the original question is that very few liveaboards actually sail. Quite sad for their boats...

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 03:16   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
The answer to the original question is that very few liveaboards actually sail. Quite sad for their boats...
It is for mine...
Did around 19,000 miles this year and she never left the Yard...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 03:18   #44

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

For me sailing is the crux of owning and living on a yacht. At least every month I try to do a coastal passage up or down the coast. The only thing holding me back at the moment from covering serious miles is that my auto pilot has thrown it in. I am hoping by Easter I will have it replaced and the boat slipped with an exchange engine. The world will be my oyster?
Old 16-12-2012, 06:31   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

I`ve owned a sailboat for 36 years,lived on my last 2 for 8 years on each one and logged over 100,000 miles and to go for a sail and get your boat ready for sea ,meaning things put away,tied down,jammed in holes so they won`t fly around and break themselves or something else can`t be done in 15 minutes ,not if you actually live on it.I stress,getting ready for sea,not going across the harbour for a cold beer!
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail