Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How many heads on a mono for couple?

1 for you..
1 for the wife..
1 for the friend who likes Guinness and Pickled Eggs...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How many heads on a mono for couple?

We have two. The one used is the furthest forward, I'm hesitant to decommission the one that is aft and right at the bottom of the companionway steps, cause I can tell you in a serious seaway getting to and from that forward most head is interesting. However, it is the one she want to use, so it stays.
The washing machine will sit on top of the aft head, and maybe with much more experience we may do something different, a shower sounds really, really nice. I just don't want to ruin all the teak in there now.

Chose the boat you want and if it has two heads, so be it, but you don't need two.
I think its a waste of space myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We have two. The one used is the furthest forward, I'm hesitant to decommission the one that is aft and right at the bottom of the companionway steps, cause I can tell you in a serious seaway getting to and from that forward most head is interesting. However, it is the one she want to use, so it stays........................
haha, we bought our boat because it had an aft head. The layout of the boat is superb because neither the forward or aft cabins have a head right on the other side of the bulkhead when you're sleeping. No one gets "smelled" or "noised" out in the middle of the night, good privacy.

Will be interested to see how things go once you get going. I think you're right.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:28   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One is sufficient in all but rare cases. Though it definitely pays to find a boat with one that's properly configured, & that's useable when you have 5 layers of clothing on.
Specifically, ones set up so that you face either forward or aft when sitting on them are far superior. As you get the feeling of needing a seatbelt far, far less when using them underway. Also there needs to be room in the head compartment for you to reasonably manuver while in foulies, boots, & a few layers of polar gear. Though not so much that you can't easily brace yourself in place without using your hands. Both when sitting on the head, & when in the compartment proper.
This may sound like a small thing. Trust me, it ain't.

Having a seperate shower (compartment) onboard can be really nice if you've got the room. Especially if you sail anywhere outside of the tropics much. Including from the perspective that you then don't keep anything in such a head that's not used when taking a shower. Which helps a lot for keeping TP, & other toiletries dry. Plus it makes for fairly easy cleaning/cleanup of said shower/head.

Here are some premium features of an onboard shower:
- Shower head. Which, a hand held sprayer is great. So the original unit in most ensuite showers found in OEM showers is fine.
- Properly sealed wood, & finished walls. To include 2-part epoxy paint with anti-mildew agent. And multiple coats of your fav sealant on the wood; varnish, clear epoxy, or both.
- Floor grate, with nonskid. Skateboard tape's fine in a pinch.
- Sump with included pump, possibly the macerating type.
- Seat that drains, & isn't slippery. And on the luxurient side, a foot bench/rest so that the ladies can shave while seated.
- Ventillation system. Anything from an overhead hatch, or Dorade, to something having a blower system with a timer.
- Towel rack nearby, preferably heated.
- Storage for soap, shampoo, lotions & such. AKA a "shower caddy".
- Heating unit or vent near the shower, though this is one of those luxurient items.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Definitely ensure that all guests know how to properly use the head, including doing a demonstration if you're so inclined. And that they know what goes into it, & what doesn't. Along with posting instructions on both of these things prominently in the head (instructions sheets). With the warning that if a guest clogs it, they'll be fixing it under the Captain's supervision.

Also, make sure that there are lots, & lots of convenient, stout handrails in a head or shower. Little things like that make a real difference.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:46   #20

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Lots of men saying one is fine. Not a single woman saying that. Not my wife either. She doesnt want to share a head with visitors. Can one head work? Sure. Will your wife be OK with that? You might want to ask her and not depend on advice from a bunch of men who dont know her or live with her.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:49   #21

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

another thought. Just because your wet locker happens to have a head and sink in it, doesnt make it wasted space at all. You can use it as a head OR a wet locker. Dual purpose like many other things on the boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:35   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One head has done us fine for on the order of 30 yrs. Our present boat has a pantry and hanging locker in the location that might have had an aft head. I'd rather have the storage.

The most we have had aboard has been 6, 4 adults, 2 children, and we managed, pretty seamlessly.

It was a little *difficult* one time when Jim and I had the flu at sea at the same time. But we managed. ....and another time, when Jim had cut the top off his finger chopping onions, and I had to take apart the toilet under his supervision, but no really big deal.

Imho, some women [not all, of course] have extremely unrealistic expectations of what to expect aboard and therefore lead their poor partners to countless hours of groveling, installation, and repair.

Ann
Old 07-02-2017, 13:31   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

My boat has 2 heads and we use both (the head in one and the shower in the other), but I can honestly say the the answer to how many heads you need is;

At least one!

For the most part.
Old 07-02-2017, 13:50   #24

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
On my old boat, I converted the larger of the two heads to a truly luxurious 3' x 4' shower compartment and never regretted it.
I always figured that a tiny shower was a desired feature. Small enough that you can body-brace with both hands otherwise occupied. Saves knocking around like dice in a cup when underway.

However, a second shower head installed in the cockpit, and/or at the swim platform is a very nice luxury.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:53   #25

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

All depends where the head is on your boat !!! The head/Shower on Troppo is next to the guest cabin that is partitioned off when guest on board ( not often) so is noise/smell related. Not nice so I am at the very moment rebuilding the aft cabin and will include second toilet basin to be used as back up. When you think of your land based family and friends that visit their experience on board will be much happier if they are comfortable!!!!!!
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:09   #26

Boat: Liberty 458

You get to maintain as many as you use.

Having a second 'spare' head is a marriage saver imho.

Our head is forward onour Liberty 458. It's in the V and is quite spacious and private.

Our spare head is in the aft master cabin ensuite. This is our shower. Also quite spacious.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:18   #27

One is necessary. Two is nice.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:19   #28

One will work fine. On bigger boats 2 is better resale. On one head boats, with guests, best to have the head quite independent of any staterooms.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 15:02   #29

1 is fine
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 15:16   #30

One large head plus one large separate shower with a seat is wonderful.
Works well with guests as well.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head