Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-04-2014, 04:03   #46

Boat: Beneteau 461
Re: How Long to Adjust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Hahahahahhahahahahahahah! Great post! Moved all the way up from 45 to 47' and still talking about buying less stuff and multitasking!

I keep the kitty litter in the washing machine when I'm not using it. (The washing machine.) The cats themselves sleep in the dryer, and drink directly from the watermaker so's to save some floor space. My middle name is "Multitasking!"

Peace sistah ... jes' funin' ... Dulac dat terlet?

Sorry Blue crab, our first cruising sailboat was 60ft, so we did "downsize". I was just referring to the luck of my experience with smaller boats.
In 47 we only have 2 cabin and when we cruise for 2-3 months our guest cabin is packed full. Sorry no washer on this boat, but we cruise only Carribean in it and laundry is easily done a shore. But the cats do have their water fountain on the boat ;-) you are right.
When we co cruising around the world in couple of years my husband does not want to go with this boat as he thinks it is to small. He has his eyes on 50ft and up for safety and space, and washing machine will be a selling point he will use for me...
And I know, I hear it every day "I am spoiled"
As there is no shame in shoestring there is no in spoiled. I work hard for it 10 months out of the year, when I would rather be sailing

Old 24-04-2014, 06:27   #47

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We didn't consider the adjustment hard, just challenging, but we had wanted to liveaboard for so long before we finally got to do it that we considered it a genuine privilege to just wake up on the water every day.

As far as storage, a liveaboard neighbor gave me some great advice when we moved aboard our 30 footer. She said that I had to make sure that every thing I brought aboard was going to "earn" the space it took. If it didn't serve a purpose (even if that purpose was just for fun) then it shouldn't be there. She also told me that if there were things I was unsure of I should put a tag on them with the date on it that I brought the item aboard. Whenever I used that item I should pull the tag off. If at some point I found items with tags still on them that were over a year old, get the item off the boat. If it hadn't been touched in a year (unless of course it was a spare part or safety gear) then it probably never would be.

We tagged very few things because I was so careful to evaluate each thing for its usefulness before I brought it aboard in the first place. Obviously if you're in a big maxi cruiser you don't need this advice, but if you're struggling with storage on a pocket cruiser you might try this.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 12:48   #48

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We been a live aboard for 17 years, and there are still thing we are not comfortable and adjusted to. Every time there is a wind/rain storm we have to batten down and prepare for the rocking and rolling, and when it freezes the water/sanitation tanks are full, and the gen set is ready if the power goes out. In the PNW the tide swings are 14 ft and the dock ramps get quite steep and in the winter extremely difficult to climb, so you have to time things with the tide.

Took me years to not check the bilge to make sure it was dry before I could go to bed/sleep. Every night I lay in bed listing to the sounds of the boat, and if there is a pump or alarm that come on during the night I am awake and checking on it. Use to be a sound sleeper but since we move on the boat a very light sleeper.
Old 24-04-2014, 15:47   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
........................ Every night I lay in bed listing to the sounds of the boat, and if there is a pump or alarm that come on during the night I am awake and checking on it. Use to be a sound sleeper but since we move on the boat a very light sleeper.
I like this thought from rw58ph!

I wouldn't say that I have obsessions about problems, but if I think about it; then, I have to check it! I'll continue to claim that it's not an obsession, I hope not compulsive obsession, but then I think of it again and 'have to check it. I just replaced all the plumbing under my sink. I checked it and nothing leaks. I'll check it again before going to bed. I'll continue to check it when I think of it until I forget it sometime later this month, but if I think of it in June, I'll check it. I just had a thought! I haven't checked the ram on my hydraulic steering for a leak in a long time. It's never leaked, but when will it start leaking? I'll check it tomorrow. Check it! I do.

What about that cotter pin on your linkage at your transmission? If it's loose or breaks then when you're in forward moving toward the dock and you want to put it in reverse so you don't hit the dock....what if that's the time when the linkage parts? I think I'll check that too!
Old 24-04-2014, 15:48   #50

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Every night I lay in bed listing to the sounds of the boat, and if there is a pump or alarm that come on during the night I am awake and checking on it. Use to be a sound sleeper but since we move on the boat a very light sleeper.

I hope my partner finds a happy medium. Right now, he can sleep through ANYthing.
Old 24-04-2014, 16:01   #51

I am getting better as I have put alarms on most things, 4- bilge alarms, 13- smoke alarms, 3-CO alarms, 2 - propane, 1-fire alarm. So now I can go maybe a couple of nights, but I finally give in and check. Last couple of nights its been raining and windy, not enough to rock the boat but still enough to make a sleepless night. My loving wife sleeps just fine as she knows I worry enough for both of us!
Old 24-04-2014, 16:05   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
I am getting better as I have put alarms on most things,................
23 Alarms! So, How often do you check the alarms to see if they are working?
Old 24-04-2014, 16:34   #53

Boat: 45ft Ketch

More than 2 years on board and we have just one alarm which is on the auto bilge pump. Sometimes get a bit alarmed when I hear the water pump or forward bilge pump go on in the night. I also check the electrical panel when going to the loo at night.
To comply with modern standards I think I'll get a couple of smoke alarms. Also will need to get radar alarm for night sailing.
Old 24-04-2014, 17:32   #54
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSummerWind View Post
...As there is no shame in shoestring there is no [shame] in spoiled...I would rather be sailing
Amen!

Being as we're all baring our souls as to what our vessels carry, our big personal indulgences are 2 frigs and a b----y brilliant freezer, all of which are worked hard when we're away from shore for long periods. No washing machine or dishwasher or microwave or air conditioning, nor even a watermaker, but we don't miss any of them. The Admiral was surprised at how clean clothes can be (even the all-important undies!) washed in salt water...and the same can be said for dishes, with a quick fresh rinse where needed. 900L of fresh water got us across both the Atlantic and the Pacific, altho we appreciate the concerns of many about some local 'drinking' waters so we carry a fair stock of small bottles of drinking water as emergency backup. Perhaps there'll be a watermaker for our next long cruise, or not...?

Alarms...well, we're pretty much bilge only plus a few (radar and AIS zones plus man overboard bracelets, never triggered thankfully!) around the Raymarine array.

There are spares for most (hopefully all) bits likely to break or wear, plenty of batteries...plus a back-up, hand-held GPS.

Adjusting to life on the water was easy for us. Judging by our occasional visitors on board, one of the most important thresholds is how well each individual can tolerate the constant vessel motion. Some (seemingly reliable) sources suggest that there is in fact a very high proportion of people prone to motion sickness; for these poor folks, adjusting may not be a matter of time...
Old 24-04-2014, 17:39   #55
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
...our big personal indulgences are 2 frigs and a b----y brilliant freezer...
...and, in the interests of full disclosure we should also admit to an ice cream maker and a juicer, two indulgences that followed the installation of our outstanding SunPower solar panels giving us surplus free energy. These particular indulgences, however, do not see much use when we're away from shore for any extended period as cream and fresh fruit become somewhat scarce!
Old 25-04-2014, 03:09   #56

Boat: Beneteau 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
...and, in the interests of full disclosure we should also admit to an ice cream maker and a juicer, two indulgences that followed the installation of our outstanding SunPower solar panels giving us surplus free energy. These particular indulgences, however, do not see much use when we're away from shore for any extended period as cream and fresh fruit become somewhat scarce!
Now you got my attention? Ice cream maker? 12v or 110? Any suggested brand... I so want one now
Old 25-04-2014, 04:25   #57

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: How Long to Adjust?

Quote:
... Took me years to not check the bilge to make sure it was dry before I could go to bed/sleep...
Yep. I replaced the bilge access panel in the sole with clear lexan. My left foot is on it right now. Hell, I might put a light in there too!
Old 25-04-2014, 05:17   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ya'll trying to get me paranoid now? It's in my nature, I try calling it being prepared
Old 25-04-2014, 10:04   #59

The 7-smoke, 2- CO and 1- propane, 1-bilge each week. The others once a month when I do the monthly checking/maintenance. However, I must admit since we have so many alarms when one does start low battery chirping its some time hard to figure out which one. Several months ago an alarm started to chirp, took me a long time to figure out, until I finally remember I put in the cabinet where the galley electrical junction box is. As my wife some times pushes the load, micro wave, toaster, coffee make, fry pan.

We leave some lights on 24/7 to keep the boggy man and water mosters away.
Also makes the boat look like some on is on it all the time.
Anyway now I can go several days with out checking. Plex a glass in the floor is not a bad idea!
Old 25-04-2014, 16:02   #60
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSummerWind View Post
Now you got my attention? Ice cream maker? 12v or 110? Any suggested brand... I so want one now
Cuisinart's the brand...and there's heap of'em available cheaply. Ours is the small (1.2L) version. Runs on AC current (220 here...110 your way) and uses very low watts so you'll need at least a small inverter, but the unit's not much of a power sucker at all. Very easy and quick to use and the results are brilliant.

You will also need a reliable freezer of course...and it'll need to be big enough to hold the 'bucket' into which the cream (and all the other yummy stuff!) is poured. The bucket is packed with freezer gel and it must be well frozen before you start.

For an old boatie like our Captain whose past on the water experiences considered even ice a dead-set luxury, there's nothing like serving yummy, home-made ice cream while either underway or tucked into some remote anchorage!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: