Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-04-2014, 08:30   #16

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: How Long to Adjust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I have to go out to the cockpit to turn the stove on and off?
Not if you installed an LP Gas Solenoid.

We didn't have a problem with the space or storage because we moved from an RV. My adjustment is with all the systems I need to learn and the limited access.

Yesterday, I was able to get AC to the salon table so we wouldn't have wires strung out for trip hazards all the time. It took all day, upside down, and backwards drilling holes, stringing cable and properly harnessing said cable. I am NOT looking forward to gaining access to the shower sump.

Old 21-04-2014, 08:31   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: How Long to Adjust?

Some of us are not so paranoid.. the knob on the cookers good enuf..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:53   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Some of us are not so paranoid.. the knob on the cookers good enuf..
sigh, on my last boat it was usually the knob who forgot to turn off the cooker....
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:04   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: How Long to Adjust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
sigh, on my last boat it was usually the knob who forgot to turn off the cooker....
LMAO....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 11:06   #20

Boat: Ericson 27

CaptForce thanks for your comments - how does one find your blog?
Old 21-04-2014, 11:15   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I feel it's about a year. It takes that long to store, restore and finalize where you want things to be. Also to get in the easy routine of keeping things liveable; filling water tanks, how to do laundry, propane refill interval, changing oil without a big mess. Taking things off the boat you really dont need, keeping things dry... etc etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 11:20   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
CaptForce thanks for your comments - how does one find your blog?
Blog........? now that is funny to me! I have no interest in reading other's blogs, so I would never be so presumptuous as to start one of my own. If it's just a location for sharing ideas from a long time living aboard and cruising, then this is the place here on the Cruiser's Forum. I spend more than enough time posting here. In addition, I'm not interested in spreading the word about where I am or what I'm doing!
Old 21-04-2014, 11:35   #23

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

As for me, Mentally I was already there and could not have been soon enough. That was 6 years ago and I cannot imagine moving back to land.
Probably the hardest for me is struggling with work space for my tools and projects.
My wife on the other hand had a rough first 6 months of getting used to the limited space. But after getting things organized and put in places that made sense to her, she now likes it, although there is times she misses things like full size washer/dryer, more space for hanging clothes, etc.
But since I basically rebuilt our boat with the thought of living aboard in mind, I made things much more convienient for her. Such as a full size double sink, 2 large hanging lockers, lots of drawers for clothes, slide out galley shelving, etc.
But we have a large 48' heavy cruiser with 6'5" headroom also
Old 21-04-2014, 13:48   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote: SV THIRD DAY .............. no matter what size boat you have there is never enough space.

(My mistake, THIRD DAY! I'm sending you a PM to request a recovery of your posting here. Sorry, CaptForce)
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 13:59   #25

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As I recall, it took about a day! My partner a little longer but she made the adjustment pretty quickly after a couple of offshore passages and trying to find stuff she 'couldn't live without' ashore. She was the one who missed it so much, she immediately found another liveaboard within a couple of weeks of being ashore between boats.

She still says that the time we lived aboard (around 15 years) were the best years of her life! My health got in the way of continuing the lifestyle but otherwise we would still be at it! I highly recommend it... you will find your self at anchor in some picturesque little cove laughing about what you used to consider as necessities shoreside... enjoy the life! Cheers, Phil
Old 21-04-2014, 14:47   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Quote: SV THIRD DAY .............. no matter what size boat you have there is never enough space.
I have to disagree. This must depend upon the individuals and their possessions. We are on a roomy 41' and we have some empty lockers and quite a few that are half filled. We also keep a couple of empty berths for guests. There was a time when I left my college apartment and all I owned would fit in the back of my Volkswagen. I do have some more tools now, as well as my wife and her stuff, but this is what fit in her space and her care at the same time. I think most of us had a time when we left school and had few possessions. Maybe so little that you could carry it all with two trips to the car. We never gained more "stuff" than we had at that time; however, we have sold our cars. Having trouble with too much "stuff" is not a problem if you never had it!

Please note that I accidently wiped out Third Day's original words in post 24. I sent him a PM with the hope that he can restate his message. ..........'sorry guys,- I scrambled my edit and quote buttons!
Old 21-04-2014, 15:20   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I travel a lot.
ALL my possessions fit into one room, and half of them I would not take with me on a boat.
With tools and clothes, and the coffee roaster and a few other bits and pieces, medical equipment, laptop etc... I bet it would only take up 1 hanging locker, 5 drawers and half a quarter berth.
I would put my espresso machine and filter coffee maker in the kitchen. Luxury sleeping bag for my berth.
Done.

A colleague of mine, a heart surgeon, has a super yacht... 120 footish. I have got lost several times on it. 8 staterooms and 3 crew cabins. 2 galleys, 3 decks, spa etc etc... He had to keep it on the East coast of Florida as where he/we worked on the other coast, it was too shallow. We did the Islands a couple of times. Sheer luxury with a crew of 9, with 5 always employed full time.

Cost him just short of 2 million a year to operate. 0.7 million in salaries alone.

I enjoyed the rides. It was cruising on a cruise liner, not boating. But hey.. the crew were brilliant and let me control it a few times and even let me reverse to a docking entry and then the captain took over.

Im not in that paycheck (que) league. Sometimes not even in his captains pay league. I asked him one day why he had the boat with so little time spent on it considering the money spent... He said it kept his wife busy, decorating the houses and the boat. She would hire an interior designer and they would work everything out and change Decor very now and then... I asked him about the weight of the furniture and fittings and everything..... he was surprised that it would even be considered a problem.

he has no idea what us little people have to work with, but its each to their own. He is a genuine person in so many ways. He came out fishing with me on my 42 footer and loved it. We didnt go out too far, about 20 miles, and he trusted my abilities, I brought along 2 other buddies who were not medics, and and we had an absolute blast....... He didnt want to go home. He ended up insisting that we went to this particular restaurant in Sarasota on his tab, so we did, and at 3am we staggered back to the boat and went to sleep. He was a joy to work with.

He retired, I moved on.

I like small and minimal........ I dont want what he has. I want to sail and feel the wind and be in control without a crew. I did like the luxury though. I can see why he does it.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:32   #28

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
My apologies for a moment of drift. I can't stop obsessing about this. Give up some history please, Growley Monster! No one, No Body!, in New Orleans says, "terlet"! We can usually target a locale with some words that match an area. Are you a vagabond rover passing through or trying to break the bonds of your Cajun roots with some Brooklyn vocabulary?
a few people say terlet, yeah, its a yat thing, You hear it on the west bank and out da parish too. Y'erd me? LOL
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:49   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
a few people say terlet, yeah, its a yat thing, You hear it on the west bank and out da parish too. Y'erd me? LOL
Thanks, I've added "yat" to my vocabulary and I'm revising my lexicon!
Old 21-04-2014, 19:56   #30

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post

Ya been to the Du Lac Dat?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: