Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 19:51   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
How far do you have to go to have an Adventure ?

We were going to cruise Mexico for a year. Got the boat ready, rented the house, gave up the slip etc. Then the impounding started and we decided not to go there for now.

So we're cruising Southern California, exploring each cove at Catalina Island, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Oceanside, Mission Bay, San Diego, back up to San Pedro, Marina Del Rey, Paradise Cove,Ventura, Channel Islands, Santa Barbara. We are having magical experiences wherever we go. Dolphins, whales, wild buffalo, moonrises, interesting people.

We are still committed to living aboard for at least a year. Then we will see what comes next.

So, my question is, how far from home do you have to go to have an adventure?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:55   #2

Boat: Toy boat
Re: How far do you have to go to have an adventure ?

We had 45 knot gusts here today. I motored out into the bay and practiced heaving to and other stormy weather moves. Quite an adventure.
I was maybe 3 miles from the slip, tops.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 20:55   #3

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
We were going to cruise Mexico for a year. Got the boat ready, rented the house, gave up the slip etc. Then the impounding started and we decided not to go there for now.

So we're cruising Southern California, exploring each cove at Catalina Island, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Oceanside, Mission Bay, San Diego, back up to San Pedro, Marina Del Rey, Paradise Cove,Ventura, Channel Islands, Santa Barbara. We are having magical experiences wherever we go. Dolphins, whales, wild buffalo, moonrises, interesting people.

We are still committed to living aboard for at least a year. Then we will see what comes next.

Well, can have adventures without stepping out of the house. But....

It's not the distance. Adventure is everywhere if we just allow it to capture us. Going further gives variety and new and different adventures, but for years we enjoyed a runabout on a lake and could always find something enjoyable to see.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 21:08   #4

Like the saying goes, whatever rocks your boat...
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 01:38   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

We have a full keel boat, with high freeboard, a keel hung rudder and psychotic prop walk.

Sometimes the adventure is just getting out of the pen.

Still, jokes aside, I do find that for a trip to feel like an adventure for us these days, it helps to have a "destination". Mooring off the end of the local pier and watching the Australia Day fireworks was the most recent adventure, and that was only 5 miles each way. But magical.

Crossing the Gulf St Vincent to tie up alongside a "different" jetty, and watching the sun set while sitting on the deck with a plate of nibbles and a good South Australian white was only 35 miles each way but absolutely priceless, as was watching the sun rise over the water the next morning, instead of the usual sunset over water.

Read through Desiderata, and I believe you will find much that could apply to what makes for a sense of Adventure...

"
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
"

Brilliant, and so much can apply to sailing.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 05:58   #6

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:

If Mexico is not available, you might consider Micronesia.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:

Ahhh... My stompin' grounds.... Glad you found them as magical as I do...

This Mexi thing is settling down... Summer in the San Juan's? Seems you've got the time to head to Hawaii just for the hell of it... Go pick some pineapples???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:25   #8

In the spring sail to Hawaii and hang out for a month or two and sail back...now you will have an adventure. When you get back you will know if offshore sailing is what you really want to do. If you get hooked there will be no end!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:31   #9
cruiser

Why not head north up the coast and spend a couple of months in the San Francisco bay area?

Or better yet... while it's still early in the season, go all the way up to Vancouver, BC then start slowly working your way south.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:40   #10

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

Quote:

Kinda of a bummer with the Impounding thing, Can't one somehow pay a fee and get a tag, or are they just getting sick of visitors?
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:48   #11

The Mexico thing has come and gone. When you sail back from Hawaii then sail back to Vancouver Island. Do a little cruising in the San Juans and Gulf Islands and then head south to San Fran and points south.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dog View Post
Kinda of a bummer with the Impounding thing, Can't one somehow pay a fee and get a tag, or are they just getting sick of visitors?
It's been just a tad more difficult than that...

Thread here...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...co-117700.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 07:01   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am here in mexico. it is fine here.
but, of course, if you choose to stay away we wont cry hard as anchorages and marinas will be more available and marinas cheaper when ye dont bother with this lovely country.

btw....as the number of boats not impounded is much greater than the number of boats that were.... mebbe it is too easy to obtain papers that are legal here in mexico. there are so many boats here and so few were actually tagged.
rumors and sensationalist journalism are most interesting to watch grow in drama factors...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 07:16   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Zee, I see your point. We think we missed the season for a trip this year. Next year is a whole new adventure. Buenos Tardes.

Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 07:25   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oh yeah,,,to answer the original questiuon, one need not GO anywhere to have an adventure.it is a state of mind and `part of life....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote