Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 14:06   #16

Re: How does it feel...

Just finished a road trip to Pensacola...

I have been (forced by circumstances) to wait (nearly 9 years now), and have had to be content to learn what makes a good blue water boat and all the sundry details that go with it.
Still haven't nailed the idea of the perfect boat (or price!), but I was able to step aboard a few for the very first time: I saw way too small, I saw a packrat disaster, a trawler that the owner wanted to be a sailboat, and a not-quite-true-blue-water Hunter 45' that might be okay for cruising the bahamas, but owner thinks it's a lot more than it is (which I thought kinda scary) given his entire large family will be aboard.

I learned a "HUGE" amount, because all the boat-for-sale pictures make'm seem so much bigger on the inside!

My fuse is burning down, and soon I will be sloppin' along in blue waters... I think this forum question pretty well hits it spot-on...
we all hope it feels like freedom. That cost is paid in many, many, ways!

Here's to those who've waited patiently, studied, saved, persevered, remain determined, and also to those who've paid their dues, and achieved a real and lasting benefit to their lives (maintenance is part of those perennial "dues").

Live in the swell,
see you soon...
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 14:17   #17

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Everytime I've accomplished something, I'm happy for a moment then move on to wanting something else. It never seems to end, no matter what.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:02   #18

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, it's just that I've seen quite a few while living in Florida not last in the cruising life too long.

I remember seeing folks anchored in small boats just hanging out for weeks on end or motoring the ICW. I'm thinking both get old after a while

As long as you have a destination (or multiple destinations) and continue to move toward it or them, that might work, but to just hang out not doing a lot won't work for many of us
That’s Florida, great place to try boating yachtie life, easy to get into, very forgiving and available available available...easy to get aquatinted to others harder to make genuine friends.
Florida also great place for soon to be put ashore/in denial sailors needing to go ashore, Florida full of these old salt types, I invest a lot listening to their stories, lots of wisdom to be learned! Seen more than dozen die off in my brief 4yrs in Florida, sad watching their greedy family sell off their possessions when claiming the old salts effects after sheriffs notify the family.

I’m kinda a snob now about newcomers to yachtie life, quite skeptical of those who don’t show up in a boat but buy a boat and blah blah blah about their dreams and or haven’t left the port they acquire said boat, seems everyone here where I’m at acquired their boat here or had it brought here by truck-trailer???
Seemingly another marina of liveaboards/people whom live on boats yet boat doesn’t leave slip mooring or especially anacorage ???

Im different I guess as I sailed into channel, powered thru channels challenging enterance to marina and hauled out. Been living aboard while refitting on hard which people can’t understand here much less my Harley, road trips away while boat is on hard so I was shunned as a broke loser by gossiping fools? In no hurry I’m retired but they figure either I can’t afford it so I’ll lose my boat or so their gossip goes??? Says a lot about marina liveaboards here IMO...

Been offered a slip but town isn’t nice place, 40min to anywhere nice actually....then there is channels depth dictates I can only ideally Safety leave or come twice a month during peak tides of 4 day windows per month...office people understand it after I explained it as primary reason I turned down slip but liveaboard crowd here doesn’t cuz they’re essentially squatters whom aren’t cruisers, haven’t been anywhere, never take their boats out, they’re just budget sized floating house people, some don’t have masts????
IMO...their biz, it’s their life, their choice and their responsibility and liability...not my kinda people or marina as I explained to office people, after I explain that to management plus it’s a racked powerboaters marina duh, shallow draft enterance channel...
Then I went on to explain I like my boat around cruising yachtie people who’ve been somewhere in their boat, have something to share, nautical culture experiences other than their day job in town today...I get that at my dive bar I frequent in town, I’m not gonna do that in marina/yard my boats at as it’s not my reality a day job in town, I’m quick to remind marina people here I’m retired, don’t live here cuz it’s cheap, live here cuz my boats here and my boat is in refit mode as marina yard sells me this service..not cheapest opportunity in this middle of nowhere area with a boat I bought from marina my boats parked at.

Amazes still how much time people waste gossiping about others especially due to envy and or alliance building attempts..(identify or create a common enemy game)

Why I try to stay outta anchorage, cheap marinas and mooring fields off season as I’m firm believer in saying “you get what you pay for” especially in yachtie world...

Thanks for reading yet another novel by Capt JJ
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:55   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Hey CaptJJ,

Your Florida and my Florida are two entirely different places.

I'm talking Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach, Destin, and Panama City.

It was an awesome experience to live there starting at age 39 and newly divorced (my exwife now lives in my country home and we are great friends)

You cannot image how much fun was had in the 1990's before the internet on Pensacola Beach after a long day of racing Beach Cat sailboats (and on non race days/nights)

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 17:42   #20

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Quote:
Hey CaptJJ,

Your Florida and my Florida are two entirely different places.

I'm talking Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach, Destin, and Panama City.

It was an awesome experience to live there starting at age 39 and newly divorced (my exwife now lives in my country home and we are great friends)

You cannot image how much fun was had in the 1990's before the internet on Pensacola Beach after a long day of racing Beach Cat sailboats (and on non race days/nights)

Tom
Yeah, yesterday is yesterday and Florida is great example of this, funny little time I’ve been here I’ve seen progress so significant entire landscapes have changed, snowbird trailer park regentrified into a exclusive private timeshare, 3/5 the property is now a palm tree forest as they imported 300 palms for 40unit ocean front 4story complex...exclusive, makes me think south Marathon will be more exclusive than coco plum or KCB sooner than later?

Don’t know where cat racing in upper peninsula Florida comes into convo about liveaboard squatters who never go anywhere but god is great, beer is good and people are crazy right...
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 18:20   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Yeah, it's just that I've seen quite a few while living in Florida not last in the cruising life too long.

I remember seeing folks anchored in small boats just hanging out for weeks on end or motoring the ICW. I'm thinking both get old after a while

As long as you have a destination (or multiple destinations) and continue to move toward it or them, that might work, but to just hang out not doing a lot won't work for many of us
I agree with the best cruising life having destinations or goals, but like you say, maybe not just a place to hang out. We would spend two or three months cruising from the Bahamas to Maine. Poking about and gunkholing, but never with a destination for the "season". Once we came to a "turn around point" such as Bar Harbor we would be southbound the next day. I remember calculating one year and noticed that we only averaged ten miles a day. There must be different best plans among the fleet!