Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 09:23   #1

Boat: 2020 Lagoon 42
How does everyone handle trash onboard?

We have been liveaboards for 6 months now and the question of garbage control is coming up. Since we're cooking and staying aboard more now that its colder, we find the trash is getting whiffy pretty quickly inside. We use an old cooler out on deck to put the full trash bags in right now and then dump the bags in the dumpster.

Just curious as to how others handle their trash.

Thanks!
John
LostBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How does everyone handle trash onboard?

When away sailing it piles up on deck, then is disposed of when we get to a place.
In really out of the way places, you sink what will sink, and burn and bury what will burn, this assuming of course a disposal site is a long time away.

However breaking things down before you take them to the boat helps a lot, taking cereal out of its box, saltines out of their box etc. we store cereal in reusable Tupperware containers, and things like rice, grits, even tea bags etc we vacuum pack.
Canned food of course stays in cans, but I wouldn’t feel too guilty tossing steel cans overboard as they will sink and rust to nothing pretty quick.
We try to avoid bottles, except beer and wine. Cleaners like 409 etc we buy in bulk and use re-usable sprayers that you buy at Home Depot etc, they are better spray bottles too.
Food goes overboard, and you can wash out whatever it is that stinks to keep it from stinking, like cans for instance.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 10:54   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

All the above depending on venue, plus a few more:

Some places have garbage boats that come round. Some even have pump out boats!

Some places will allow you to burn your own at a designated place ashore.

Some places locals will take it for a small fee...sometimes they even wait till out of sight to toss it into the sea! [emoji849]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 10:55   #4

Ah! Thank you. We just got a 24 assortment pack of the Lock and Lock containers for all the dry goods. The only bottles/glass we use are for beer and the glass jars of pickles. Good idea - we'll break down all the cardboard outside from now on and get a better sprayer.

John
Old 23-11-2019, 11:20   #5

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In really out of the way places, you sink what will sink, and burn and bury what will burn, this assuming of course a disposal site is a long time away.
Close to land we save everything for proper disposal. As appropriate, everything we save is thoroughly washed in the galley sink or a bucket of sea water. If it’s clean it won’t get smelly. Left-over foods are retained in ziplock bags that as much air as possible has been driven out of. At home, potentially really smelly stuff gets bagged and put in the deep freeze to stop the rot. Soon we’ll be able to do this on the boat too

At sea we sink glass and metal. Paper, cardboard (which we strive from the outset to limit) gets torn into small pieces and disposed of in the sea - we consider these to be biodegradable. All left-over food goes over the side - same philosophy as paper.

All plastics (including “waxed paper products like Tetrapac) are saved for later disposal but also thoroughly washed first so they don’t get smelly. This extends even to shrink-wrap that may have blood traces or similar on.

We have disposed of garbage after a few weeks at sea that emit no smell at all.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 11:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Some places locals will take it for a small fee...sometimes they even wait till out of sight to toss it into the sea! [emoji849]

We have a big dumpster near by that we put the trash in for now, but we'll be getting another new old boat at the first of the year and plan to really start cruising - so the question of trash is a concern for us now. Outside of the towns and cities here, people just dump trash in the woods by the road a lot of times.

Yes, we've seen people just empty their trash right over the side in the marina. One even looked right at me while doing it about 50ft away.

John
Old 23-11-2019, 14:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
As appropriate, everything we save is thoroughly washed in the galley sink or a bucket of sea water. If it’s clean it won’t get smelly.

This!

And it is very rare that food scraps need to be kept on board until they get smelly.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 15:02   #8

Ive been aboard one boat that had a trash compactor...not sure what they did w that dense heavy chunk of garbage.
Old 23-11-2019, 15:17   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

John Neal of Mahina Tiare once posted about doing an oil change at sea and carefully keeping the old oil until he landed on an island. He asked around about where he could recycle the oil and got funny looks. Finally, someone said he'd take care of it for a fee. John paid him, then walked away, but kept an eye on the man who had taken the oil. A few minutes later, he saw the man pouring the oil against a palm tree.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 15:21   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

We use 1.5 litre plastic juice bottles with the wide screw top.
https://geant.vteximg.com.br/arquivo...43374436030000

All smelly plastic, meat wrapping, wipes, etc, goes in there plus anything else that can be cut down to size.

A bottle normally lasts a week if you use a stick or some such to pack it down.

Quarantine will love you.....
Old 23-11-2019, 15:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
John Neal of Mahina Tiare once posted about doing an oil change at sea and carefully keeping the old oil until he landed on an island. He asked around about where he could recycle the oil and got funny looks. Finally, someone said he'd take care of it for a fee. John paid him, then walked away, but kept an eye on the man who had taken the oil. A few minutes later, he saw the man pouring the oil against a palm tree.
In Guatemala the locals happily take used oil/diesel. They pour it around their houses as an insect/termite repellant.
Old 23-11-2019, 16:07   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

I put the old oil in the container the new oil came out of.
I’ll take off with about 5 gls of oil, as I change oil the old oil takes up the same space and fits in the same containers as the old oil, so when I come back, I come back with a few gallons of oil to dispose of.
Old oil is not a storage issue as you leave with new oil stored.

Unless gone for a long time, I see no need to dispose of old oil. It doesn’t ever rot or anything.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 00:17   #13

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
As appropriate, everything we save is thoroughly washed in the galley sink or a bucket of sea water. If it’s clean it won’t get smelly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
This!
I even do this at home so that nothing get's smelly

And especially since recycling materials are separated from organic waste.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 03:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I understand the common abhorrence of glass containers aboard, but ...
- I’ve never broken one.
- My only damaging cabin spill was a plastic bleach bottle, that punctured or abraded, and leaked out.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 03:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I put the old oil in the container the new oil came out of.
I’ll take off with about 5 gls of oil, as I change oil the old oil takes up the same space and fits in the same containers as the old oil, so when I come back, I come back with a few gallons of oil to dispose of.
Old oil is not a storage issue as you leave with new oil stored.

Unless gone for a long time, I see no need to dispose of old oil. It doesn’t ever rot or anything.
5 gallons does take up a good bit of space though.