Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 08:50   #1

Boat: Skookum Pilothouse Ketch 34'
How Do You Stow Your Stuff?

More questions gang.

I didn't buy a sailboat to tie it up and sit still. The thought was to get proficient at sailing, setting reasonable goals. Building through experience, trial and error.

When you go out for a couple of hours, how do you get all the bits and baubles of day to day life stowed? How long does it take? What procedures do you folks follow.

Rig for sea. Does that mean throw all my stuff on the floor? That's what happened last time.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Bobby Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 09:02   #2

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: How Do You Stow Your Stuff?

IMO, the key is keep it in sail ready shape all the time. Right now its not the case because we are in deep winter here in the NE and have a shrink wrap bubble over the boat. But we typically have a 30 minute rule, meaning that the boat must be sail ready in 30 minutes.

To do this it goes back to the "a place for everything and everything in it's place". If you take out a guide book and chart to look at something. It goes back right after you are done. You don't throw it on the settee and say you will put it away later.

You don't let dishes pile up on the sink or counter. They get washed each night after dinner, dried and put away. Laptops are stowed and secured when not in use. Tools and parts go back after the days work is complete.

It takes discipline to get in this habit but once you are there its a lot easier.

Also, the biggest help is to get rid of stuff. You probably have a bunch of stuff you don't really need. Get rid of it. Go the minimalist route as much as possible.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
s/v Smitty
Old 16-01-2015, 09:24   #3

I agree with the above. I actually have friends who never sail from one year to the next because they don't want to be bothered with securing things.

I find when I set sail, some stuff does fall on the floor. But I just use that as a sign of what was improperly stowed.

My TV and play station are the only things I really secure every time I go out.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 09:26   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Wandering View Post
More questions gang.

I didn't buy a sailboat to tie it up and sit still. The thought was to get proficient at sailing, setting reasonable goals. Building through experience, trial and error.

When you go out for a couple of hours, how do you get all the bits and baubles of day to day life stowed? How long does it take? What procedures do you folks follow.

Rig for sea. Does that mean throw all my stuff on the floor? That's what happened last time.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Catamaran. Mostly, I don't need to. If it looks to be really rough, I put glasses and plates in the sink. The fiddles are sufficient to keep everything else in place. But sometimes I forget, leave the dishes on the table, and nothing happens.

The real answer is to have enough fiddles and secure shelves--whatever the boat--that there is little to do. For real weather, a bit more.
Old 16-01-2015, 10:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

I suppose you might do some daysailing and prepare for more lengthy voyages. Some of what follows is my General Tips and is not intended to be everything I would do if preparing to go to sea (long voyage) or prepping for heavy weather.

As with any advice you find on a forum like this, the answers can be very different based on the advisor's opinion, preferences, or experience and how those may or may not fit the situations you encounter, your boat, or your tastes or experience.

On one long voyage, I spent over a week heeled on one tack and all of the lockers on the windward side of the boat were difficult to open (it was not my boat) without spilling everything out. So some of my tips are based on that experience.

When going for a typical sail, I would use the following:

For Personal Gear (e.g. clothing, small items)

1. Soft Sided duffels or "gym bags" that are of various sizes and colors. I use the type that have good zippers that will not corrode in salt air. Avoid those that have cheap metal zippers. I prefer most of mine to be of "medium" size rather than too large to stuff in place. I would prefer my crew to bring aboard two medium bags rather than one very large bag.

2. I also use "net laundry bags" to store my clothing so it may be hung up to get air circulation. I hate musty, moldy, mildewed clothing. You can buy those net laundry bags for about $1 at walmmart or dollar stores. I use several simply to hold clothing and they could be used on deck (on voyage or at anchor) to either air clothing or keep it from blowing off the boat while airing.

3. I put most small items in gallon sized "zip loc" freezer (heavy duty) bags. This includes the many small things that can escape and be hard to find in the dark. I prefer "soft" plastic containers like these bags, versus hard sided containers (typical tupperware type) because it is easier to fit them in small spaces and they collapse when empty.

4. . I would use small nets (small hammock style) for other soft goods items that you want to keep in place on or near your berths (e.g. pillows, towels, flash lights, books, water bottle etc.).

If you are concerned about heavy seas and stuff being tossed about on the boat, I suggest the following:

1. Make sure each locker has a secure catch on it. Secure enough to hold the weight of whatever you store in that locker. If you store heavy things behind the locker door, make sure the catch is very strong.

2. If you are going far offshore and concerned about dangerous things happening to you such as broaching or capsizing, also make sure your floorboards (on the sole of the boat) and other covers are secure too. You don't want those things (and their contents) coming off and flying across the boat during a knockdown.

3. Consider adding some fine net inside the locker doors, so you can open the locker door but still have the contents prevented from falling out. The net can be moved to reach only those items you need at the time. Use elastic (bungee type cord) to hold the net to the sides of the locker.

4. Consider adding some of the "small net hammocks" to the sides of the berths (hanging up above the berths or settees). Those add a handy storage area that will contain many things in a place where one can find them, even when in a berth or sea berth or snug in a heeled boat. They are soft and collapse when not full of stuff. Just avoid having hard items in them hanging over your head.

5. Consider using only using plastic dishes and "glasses" on the boat. Consider making a rule that only beverages (e.g. beer) in plastic and cans are allowed on board (to avoid broken bottles on boats). When I say "plastic" I simply mean "not glass" or anything that breaks easily with sharp pieces. Some dish ware is durable and not just flimsy plastic.

6. A Matter of Opinion, Preference, or Experience?
I personally don't like the commonly seen "hanging wine glasses" often seen in boat galleys. While they may look good at the marina, I don't consider them seaworthy (I consider them unsafe if someone is thrown off balance while boat is heeled and something or someone is thrown into the multiple glasses). This is my personal POV and obviously others feel differently. Perhaps they have never been tossed around in heavy seas before, because it can be surprising how things can fly inside a boat.
________

There are many other folks here who can add many other tips. These are just a few that come to mind.

Good luck, good wind, and good sailing to you!
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 11:25   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the "stuff" you're talking about is what you bring to the boat when you come, you want to stow it somewhere it won't come to grief. If it's large like all the tools you'll need to do *whatever*, then, possibly in the quarter berth, in the tub you carried it down to the boat in.

Clothing, I usually either hang on hooks, stow in a net bag, or a hanging locker (if you have one). Also, have stored them in duffle bags as mentioned by Steady Hand.

Galley items in the galley.

Head supplies in the head.

Spare oil & filter for emergency oil change (sometimes happens), anywhere it will fit, you have easy access to, and down low. It is nice if you can put all your engine room spares in one general location; like one drop locker has all that. If it's a wet boat, you want it in plastic tubs so it doesn't rust.

Try to keep heavy things low, and weight evenly distributed; keep weight out of the ends as much as possible. [Obviously, anchor and chain are weight that you tolerate, in/on the bow.]

We try to keep like stuff with like stuff, but there will be exceptions.

Ann
Old 16-01-2015, 11:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy!

I suppose you might do some daysailing and prepare for more lengthy voyages. Some of what follows is my General Tips and is not intended to be everything I would do if preparing to go to sea (long voyage) or prepping for heavy weather.
Thank you, keep it coming, please. What are fiddles? I have seen the nets and they are on the shopping list.

It is the plan to do a LOT of daysailing from here on out. The only sailing I have done is in little FJ's while taking my first lessons. So, daysailing to local points of interest are on the docket. It's a pity that I live in Puget Sound and there is nothing to see.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:12   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Wandering View Post
Thank you, keep it coming, please. What are fiddles? I have seen the nets and they are on the shopping list.
Fiddles (on boats) are the raised edges on tables and countertops. Those raised edges keep things from sliding off the table or counter. At least that is the idea.

Here is another idea I would implement on any boat that has a cabin (racer or cruiser), as it is so easy to make these (or have a person who can sew with machine do so) and they can be temporarily attached to many surfaces in a boat such as:

1. On the sides of the Vberth (as shown)
2. On the backs of hanging locker doors
3. On the bulkheads
4. In the head (I would make it out of sunbrella or similar "net" fabric to drain and dry quickly if sprayed by the shower).

These could also add some "color" to a boat interior (which are often dull looking) and can be removed easily if needed. Nothing permanent.

Again, I would consider using some kind of "net type" fabric on the faces of the pockets, so it is easy to find things once they get put in them and to promote air circulation to avoid mildew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vberth Cloth Pockets.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	95570  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 12:26   #9

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Bobby Wandering

My oh my - how can you say you live in Puget Sound and there is nothing to see! We sailed 9000 miles to windward from Australia to sail in your area and loved it. We visited Tacoma and yes you are at one end of the sound but but you have lots of anchorages and places to explore.

As to stowing things - I agree with the replies and learning to put everything in its place is the golden rule. I also use a lot of blue tac to keep small items secured, pictures, shells, display items I have collected from the various countries we have visited etc. I have made straps with velcro to secure the computers, and tv. I use nets for fruit and vegetables and all our lockers, floor boards etc are strongly secured.

Until you get familiar with your outings - use a check list to make sure you have securely stowed everything. Computers, sea cocks, sink drains, hatches etc. That way you won't forget an item and have a 'disaster' to clean up.

Even experienced sailors can be caught out - we had to have binoculars repaired that were not stowed properly and they flew down the companionway when we experienced a strong gust. It was a costly exercise and a good lesson to make sure everything was stowed correctly in the cockpit as well as below decks.

Happy sailing.
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 14:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
Bobby Wandering

My oh my - how can you say you live in Puget Sound and there is nothing to see! We sailed 9000 miles to windward from Australia to sail in your area and loved it. We visited Tacoma and yes you are at one end of the sound but but you have lots of anchorages and places to explore.

Umm, just being a little ridiculous, this is the most beautiful place I have ever been. My first place to go is going to be Gig Harbor. I heard there is a restaurant with a dock.

Just got back from my first venture. Not sailing, just motored out and around the grain terminal then returned. I was terrified. But docking went way smoother than anticipated.

Baby steps!

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Old 16-01-2015, 14:48   #11

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Leecloths are your friend. Just scoop up all the loose junk and Chuck it on a berth with a good leecloth for a quick getaway!

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-01-2015, 15:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We're 43 years "out" and we treat everything like laundry!

If we have clothes that say, "Dry clean only, dry with low heat only, or not color safe" we ignore the label. It all goes into the harsh wash with all the colors and high heat for drying. If it doesn't make it, then,.... it's gone! We don't want it.

The same is true on the boat. We have fids, racks, lockers, shelves & plastic bags. We can always get underway within ten minutes. If somethings falls to a lower position we're not to concerned. If it breaks, we dont want it! .... or the next one will be bolted in place!

Isn't that the plan of a "shake down crusie? Shake it down and throw it out! Thus, survival of the fitest and evolution rules!
Old 16-01-2015, 15:33   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Catamaran owners just go.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 15:34   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We're 43 years "out" and we treat everything like laundry!

If we have clothes that say, "Dry clean only, dry with low heat only, or not color safe" we ignore the label. It all goes into the harsh wash with all the colors and high heat for drying. If it doesn't make it, then,.... it's gone! We don't want it.

The same is true on the boat. We have fids, racks, lockers, shelves & plastic bags. We can always get underway within ten minutes. If somethings falls to a lower position we're not to concerned. If it breaks, we dont want it! .... or the next one will be bolted in place!

Isn't that the plan of a "shake down crusie? Shake it down and throw it out! Thus, survival of the fitest and evolution rules!
Love it, Hudson! From one old pragmatist to another, well said!

Jim
Old 16-01-2015, 16:07   #15

Boat: Heritage 35

The other way is to open all your lockers. Put your stuff on the sole go sailing. Heel the boat on either Port or Starboard Tak close lockers repeat on opposite tak Close lockers every thing stowed and away you go!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote