Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 19:44   #31

Re: How Do You Stow Your Stuff?

Avoid nuclear submarines after dark. In fact just avoid them all together.
Birdseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 20:45   #32

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdseed View Post
Avoid nuclear submarines after dark. In fact just avoid them all together.
We know what you mean, those things pass by our little marina all the time...
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 21:30   #33

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

I have filled my v-berth with shipping peanuts and secured the forward companionway with plastic and duct tape. Everything stays put.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 22:55   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Wandering View Post
More questions gang.

I didn't buy a sailboat to tie it up and sit still. The thought was to get proficient at sailing, setting reasonable goals. Building through experience, trial and error.

When you go out for a couple of hours, how do you get all the bits and baubles of day to day life stowed? How long does it take? What procedures do you folks follow.

Rig for sea. Does that mean throw all my stuff on the floor? That's what happened last time.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Bobby what marina are you in I would be willing to stop by and give you a couple pointers we are in Foss harbor rob
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 07:13   #35

Boat: Skookum Pilothouse Ketch 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Bobby what marina are you in I would be willing to stop by and give you a couple pointers we are in Foss harbor rob
Thanks, Newhaul!

I am in Foss Harbor Marina. Slip Q16

Beginning Tuesday, come on by anytime after 8AM. Coffee is usually strong and full of grounds.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Bobby Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 13:38   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
If you use Tupperware type boxes on your forward vee berth, how to you secure them from sliding aft? And for that matter, port and starboard and gouging up the wood?
On the Yankee 30, Jim installed straps to keep what we had stowed in place.

If you want to do something similar, you could use the flat folding D ring Wichard fittings that would fold flat when not in use. We used tubular nylon webbing for the straps.

With the net bags, if you're going to put fruit in them, they should have a tie-down of some sort to limit the swinging, but if you just put clothes in them, they won't mind bashing against the side of the hull.

Ann
Old 19-01-2015, 16:51   #37

I've read over most of what's here, but I didn't notice any one mention boat design, which is going to be critical.

Take my boat for example, a 35' monohull. Most cruisers are much bigger than that (in 2015 any way). The boat has some serious built in storage though. I've listed some details below.

Fresh Water- 1000 liters/250Gallons/1 metric ton.
Diesel- 640 litres/160Galons/.6 metric tons.
Forward Cabin: cedar lined closet 6' high, 2' wide 4' deep., 16 drawers and 2 shelves.
Salon: Deepfreeze 5'2"longx4'deep. 8 drawers, wet locker 4' high, 2 feet deep 2' wide.
Galley- 8 drawers.
Workshop: 6' work bench, 8 drawers, 1 shelf, tool rack.
Head: lots of shelving for toiletries and such plus the pantry/dry food storage (I can read my soup labels while I'm making a deposit) 6' longx2'highxa2' deep.
Aft Cabin: Cedar lined closet 6' high,4'deepx2'wide, dresser with 10 drawers, 1 shelf.
On deck: Propane locker suitable for 2x10lb propane bottles, dinghy davits.
Displacement: 24000 lbs!

Now, compare that to say a Hunter 35 weighing in at 12000 lbs. This design is built for weekending and has virtually no tankage or storage, it is fantastically roomy for a week end get away and relatively fast, but which boat are you going to be able to store more stuff on?

So the storage equation should really start at the boat shopping stage. If you want to be able to carry a lot of stuff- heavy displacement- that's what makes them heavy displacement. If you are willing and able to restock every week or two (depending on usage, then less displacement will be required.

After all- both stuff and displacement are defined by weight.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 17:30   #38

Boat: Skookum Pilothouse Ketch 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I've read over most of what's here, but I didn't notice any one mention boat design, which is going to be critical.

Take my boat for example, a 35' monohull. Most cruisers are much bigger than that (in 2015 any way). The boat has some serious built in storage though. I've listed some details below.

Fresh Water- 1000 liters/250Gallons/1 metric ton.
Diesel- 640 litres/160Galons/.6 metric tons.
Forward Cabin: cedar lined closet 6' high, 2' wide 4' deep., 16 drawers and 2 shelves.
Salon: Deepfreeze 5'2"longx4'deep. 8 drawers, wet locker 4' high, 2 feet deep 2' wide.
Galley- 8 drawers.
Workshop: 6' work bench, 8 drawers, 1 shelf, tool rack.
Head: lots of shelving for toiletries and such plus the pantry/dry food storage (I can read my soup labels while I'm making a deposit) 6' longx2'highxa2' deep.
Aft Cabin: Cedar lined closet 6' high,4'deepx2'wide, dresser with 10 drawers, 1 shelf.
On deck: Propane locker suitable for 2x10lb propane bottles, dinghy davits.
Displacement: 24000 lbs!
That's a lot of storage! My boat has gone from Seattle to the South Pacific in its current configuration. I was tossing around the idea of reconfiguring the galley to get a refrigerator. I also have a 34' monohull. You have a work bench?! I think I surrender a lot of space for the Pilothouse.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Bobby Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 17:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Wandering View Post
That's a lot of storage! My boat has gone from Seattle to the South Pacific in its current configuration. I was tossing around the idea of reconfiguring the galley to get a refrigerator. I also have a 34' monohull. You have a work bench?! I think I surrender a lot of space for the Pilothouse.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Ya, 2 staterooms each with over 6' of headroom. Plus a very nice work shop. Work bench includes a vice. Electrical panel is in the shop. Easy access to cold plates, auto pilot and port side of engine compartment. The workshop even has an opening portlight.

This is very not normal in a 35 mono though, and I pay heavily in light airs. Note my displacement- 24000 lbs. That's a displacement normaly associated with a much longer water line.

If you''re not in a rush (which you don't need to be in a comfortable, seaworthy boat with a ton of freshwater on board) she's fantastic- even Fantasiatastic!

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 18:45   #40

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Leecloths are your friend. Just scoop up all the loose junk and Chuck it on a berth with a good leecloth for a quick getaway!
+1 to this suggestion.

Matt
Old 20-01-2015, 05:37   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

Take my boat for example, a 35' monohull. ...............
Your comments caused me to research the specs of the Fantasia 35 as I was not familiar with the design. Like all boat choices, there are many compromises to be made, but your vessel seems to have most the features that I find best!
Old 20-01-2015, 07:40   #42

Boat: Liberty 458

We have a policy of less than an hour to go sailing. This stops us buying crap that turns a boat into a garage.

We also ensure that we finish a job, that necessitates making a mess, before starting another.

It soon becomes habit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:53   #43

Boat: Bristol 35

Does anyone use cargo nets- the stretchy kind used in pickups- to hold things down- I was wondering if it might be good to put a couple extra hooks so it could be used to hold things in place better than a lee cloth.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:53   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

We are often in anchorages that are reasonably rolly (beam on swell or wake from other boats) so it does at least help establish good habits regarding storage.

One thing that has not been mentioned that I find invaluable is non-skid matting (purchased through chandleries or carpet stores for use under rugs). China bowls used for fruit storage are placed on rounds of these and simply dropped on the floor on these when we go sailing (under the settee table out of the way).

We encounter reasonably rough conditions at times sailing in the Med and the non skid has never let me down.

I use this extensively - eg lining all cupboards, laid between plates and bowls to stop rubbing and dislodgement.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 13:20   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Does anyone use cargo nets- the stretchy kind used in pickups- to hold things down- I was wondering if it might be good to put a couple extra hooks so it could be used to hold things in place better than a lee cloth.
Not from pickup trucks, but we made and installed mesh knockdown netting to cover and contain stores that were in berths. They stowed outboard when not in use, but could be secured very quickly.

We also use the non-skid matting in the way Seaworthy Lass does; it's very useful.

Ann