Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 17:00   #16

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40
Re: How Do You Stow Your Stuff?

A little off the subject - but enjoy Gig Harbour. We were there for the Christmas sail past and it was a wonderful experience.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:15   #17

You probably have more advice than you'd bargained for. Some of it excellent. So, just one more suggestion to add that has worked for me. Keeping order and tidiness is essential to enjoying your time on the boat and being able to find what you want when you want it with ease. (Can save your life too, in extremis!) I am always amazed at how easy it is to lose something in such a small space! So, the trick is to make tidiness and organisation easy. No boat has "enough" convenient storage space. Quarter berths -- or V-berths you don't use for sleeping -- are excellent for storing convenient sized sturdy plastic boxes with lids, which are easy to slide in and out, in which you can stow your shirts, shorts, sweaters, pants, bedding, etc, in neat stacks, so you don't have to dig and search. These containers also keep things dry. Same thing for smaller categories, each in its logical place in boxes with well-closing lids. Works for me better than sloppy bags or loose stuff.
Ernest Skublics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:38   #18

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We're 43 years "out" and we treat everything like laundry!

If we have clothes that say, "Dry clean only, dry with low heat only, or not color safe" we ignore the label. It all goes into the harsh wash with all the colors and high heat for drying. If it doesn't make it, then,.... it's gone! We don't want it.

The same is true on the boat. We have fids, racks, lockers, shelves & plastic bags. We can always get underway within ten minutes. If somethings falls to a lower position we're not to concerned. If it breaks, we dont want it! .... or the next one will be bolted in place!

Isn't that the plan of a "shake down crusie? Shake it down and throw it out! Thus, survival of the fitest and evolution rules!

Well put! Especially the laundry part!!
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:52   #19

Smitty and Ernest nailed it. This is a recurring question that, every time it comes up, throws me for a loop.

Why would anyone have stuff laying around that needed to be put away? (OK, OK, forget I'm not your mother for a moment!)

It's a small space to begin with. While I singlehand a lot, even my family and crew find it much easier to use and replace everything they use right away. This is not a Clean Up - Nazi regime, just common sense.

And once everything is put away, over the years we've found a way to make absolutely sure that there are no squeaks or rattles.

After you've been sailing for a while, since you like the nice quiet sound of sailing, any small noise WILL attract your attention. It is annoying and can mask the sounds of "bad" sounds that you will NEED to learn to hear.

Now, as my wife says, "If you were only as clean and Mr. Fixit around the house as you are on the boat..."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 13:56   #20

Boat: Skookum Pilothouse Ketch 34'

What are Lee Cloth's?

This has been a great thread. It has taken a bit, but I have most everything stowed. Finally. Looking for stuff is a continuing "problem". Living aboard has been nothing like I expected. It has been way easier and fulfilling, with a few challenges thrown in.

Some of the suggestions I already figured out. Like clear storage bins in unused quarter berth. Sail bags in quarter berths and under the sole. But the laundry trick, I will use this week.

Thanks all.

Great stuff here.

Bobby
Bobby Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 14:09   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Slowly, good stowage system evolve rather than get planned. Plenty of good plastic boxes, the sort with clip on lids are a great help.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 14:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
After you've been sailing for a while, since you like the nice quiet sound of sailing, any small noise WILL attract your attention. It is annoying and can mask the sounds of "bad" sounds that you will NEED to learn to hear.

That is how it is on a bicycle, also. Can't stand a clicking bike and will spend hours looking for a click or squeak. OK, that sounds great I can do that. Really looking forward to next week and some actual sailing time.

Not quite ready to single hand. YET!
Old 17-01-2015, 15:18   #23

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Wandering View Post
What are Lee Cloth's?

Mine are quick and easy to set up, and for a quick daysail I put anything loose onto the bunk with the leecloth set up. It works great when friends come with extra gear, jackets and bags etc all go there instead of falling into the lee bilge and getting stood on, or in really bad cases getting bilge water slop up onto them! my computer often gets put there as well, and any cushions, pillows rugs etc.

Another good tip is to lash a dish drainer onto the bench. That way you don't have to put all the dishes away if you don't want to. It's also good when offshore, otherwise doing the dishes gets awkward. I guess if you've got twin sinks it's not such an issue, but the draining rack is much quieter and leaves one sink for dirty dishes.

I tend towards the messy side of the spectrum, so the leecloth solution for me is a good compromise, beats having to pick up everything from the floor, and put up with everything sliding to the other side every time I tack.

Cheers and happy living aboard.
Old 17-01-2015, 21:08   #24

So, that's what the little eye loop thingy's on the sides of my bunks are for... Lee cloths. I was wondering. And the loops high up on the wall or ceiling for net bags.

Fascinating. Those look pretty easy to make if one had a sewing machine. Hmm. Safety net if sleeping in heavy seas?

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
Old 17-01-2015, 23:03   #25

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Rig for sea. Does that mean throw all my stuff on the floor? That's what happened last time.
See the 12 stowage rules on pages 2 - 4 of: Stowage and ships stores

Al
Old 18-01-2015, 00:45   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Fascinating. Those look pretty easy to make if one had a sewing machine. Hmm. Safety net if sleeping in heavy seas?
Yes, that's exactly what they are really for: secure sleeping at sea. The stowage aspect is a useful side affect. And they can be easily made with only a rudimentary machine and skill level. Materials can be canvas, mesh, old sailcloth, shadecloth... almost anything. If it isn't inherently strong, sewing in some webbing straps to take the major loads is easy and effective. Some folks make them shorter than the berth involved... not quite as secure, but easier to get into and out of in a hurry.

Actually, an excellent first project for a novice canvas worker!

Jim
Old 18-01-2015, 03:50   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

As others have said--a place for everything & everything in it's place.

What I don't think has been mentioned are throw cushions. Have a variety to stuff into lockers the contents of which you don't want bouncing around--like pottery or bottles.

Securing the cabin takes me about five minutes & includes closing hatches which may be subject to spray.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 05:43   #28

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

If you use Tupperware type boxes on your forward vee berth, how to you secure them from sliding aft? And for that matter, port and starboard and gouging up the wood?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 06:40   #29

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
So, that's what the little eye loop thingy's on the sides of my bunks are for... Lee cloths. I was wondering. And the loops high up on the wall or ceiling for net bags.

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.
canvas for safe sleep!

i have some 60+ plastics w lids, and cupboard bags...
but, it goes by itself,... things find their own way over time, with some rationsle from us
It took me 7 months to realize that things do self accomodate, with a wise help
On a larger boat it is more complicated, though.. :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
See the 12 stowage rules on pages 2 - 4 of: Stowage and ships stores

Al
WHOA! Treasure trove. Got any others? That is great stuff Al.