Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 06:31   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: How do you sleep at night on a mooring ball?

I can understand why some don't consider a risk with a bridle chafing on a mooring with a single line looped from port to starboard, but they might not have experienced galvanized thimbles, rings or shackles on a mooring with corrosion. I have seen large smooth nylon surfaces that would not concern me, but I always attach with two lines bending back to their same point of origin with no potential for chafe.

I've also seen mooring lines chafed by anchors left on their davits where the anchor fluke can chafe the mooring bridle. I usually turn my anchor upside down within the channel on my anchor davit before taking a mooring.
Old 22-11-2015, 06:59   #47

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have to assume that you haven't taken moorings in the Bahamas or Caribbean very many times (if at all)….
Well, your assumption would be wrong. I lived and worked on boats up and down the Caribbean for half a decade, mate. Some you can, some you can't. If you can't, using a single line is not good practise. it will be fine, until it isn't. Best practise in that circumstnace is either a pair of lines, or else preferably a pair of mooring strops with powerful asymmetric closed stainless hooks.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:15   #48

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If I'm going to be on a mooring for a while, & it's trustworthy, I do, quite literally, pick it up. Enough so that I can shackle a line with a thimble spliced into it's end, directly onto the mooring's chain. With chafing gear where it comes aboard of course. That way I'm fairly certain that it's connected to a fully structural part of the system.

Line #2 goes through the loop on top of the ball. And then I slide a 10' section of PVC pipe over said line. It keeps the bouy at a distance, thus preventing bumping into it.
This line as well gets chafing gear, especially at both termini of the PVC pipe.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 09:29   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
If I'm going to be on a mooring for a while, & it's trustworthy, I do, quite literally, pick it up. Enough so that I can shackle a line with a thimble spliced into it's end, directly onto the mooring's chain. With chafing gear where it comes aboard of course. That way I'm fairly certain that it's connected to a fully structural part of the system.

Line #2 goes through the loop on top of the ball. And then I slide a 10' section of PVC pipe over said line. It keeps the bouy at a distance, thus preventing bumping into it.
This line as well gets chafing gear, especially at both termini of the PVC pipe.
Sounds good to me.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 22-11-2015, 11:07   #50

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Yeah. Okay. Not sure what that has to do with the discussion of running double bridle lines. Running double lines through that one pennant isn't going to make any difference at all. In fact, if it DOES make a difference, it would probably make it chafe more quickly!

Note: By the way, the word is "pennant," not "pendant." Got that wrong myself up above. Didn't feel right, so I looked it up and, sure enough, I was wrong.
You are correct "pennant". Anyhow, when one line is placed from starboard to port it saws across the loop. For day stops you can get by with one line if you go port to port or starboard to starboard but it only takes another 1 or 2 minutes to attach a second line so why not do it? Seems pretty straight forward.

Quote:
Enough so that I can shackle a line with a thimble spliced into it's end, directly onto the mooring's chain. With chafing gear where it comes aboard of course.
That is not a bad method. Two of our mooring have top pennants and one has the pennant attached to the chain. I can't recall but I think my sister had moorsecure change out the balls so they have no loop on the top, just a shackle for the pennant. There is no way you could pick our ball... last time we changed the chain we put 1" chain on it IIRC. It can hold the queen mary. It was the only way to get these charter people to STOP trying to pull up the mooring which eventually destroys the mooring. You have to remember that the mooring sits there in the UV radiation of the tropics and eventually the plastic gets brittle. They try picking it up, it cracks the bottom or top of the mooring ball and the ball takes on water, continues to degrade, and sinks eventually.

If I EVER see someone pick up one of our moorings (which is not allowed being private - but these guys do it anyway) I always make sure they are tied with two lines.

To add to this... we use the mantus chain hook for our anchoring. I was thinking about getting another two sizes so we can also tie up t the chain on a mooring. However, if the keys mooring fields see you tied up improperly they will ask you to switch it. If you don't its likely they will ask you to leave.

Quote:

That's interesting. I was thinking about doing something similar by using a stainless tube stuck off the bow using the anchor lock and bowsprit then attaching a shackle on the end with the line going from the mooring to the shackle to the cleat.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:39   #51

Why sleep on a mooring ball when you can sleep in a berth? ;-)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:34   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy folks! I have been enjoying this thread.

I respectfully submit the following suggestion:

Show and Tell:
As with many threads that discuss different techniques in answer to a question that may have been asked by someone with little to no experience with the topic, I think some illustrative photos will really help .

So, I encourage any of you currently on your boats to take some snapshots of your mooring setup, then post the photos. I think that will help illustrate your points, and may help others see the advantages of your method.

And it may expose something you are not noticing that others may see, leading to safer cruising for you and your boat.

Fair Winds!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 18:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well, your assumption would be wrong. I lived and worked on boats up and down the Caribbean for half a decade, mate. Some you can, some you can't. If you can't, using a single line is not good practise. it will be fine, until it isn't. Best practise in that circumstnace is either a pair of lines, or else preferably a pair of mooring strops with powerful asymmetric closed stainless hooks.
I misspoke as writing hurriedly. Best practise in any circumstance is a second line, preferably shackled in a bridle configuraton.
Old 25-11-2015, 05:10   #54

Personally I find them very easy to pick up due to them having a pick up line to make life easy and then I pass two 2 lines through the thimble and then sleep like a baby, but there again I own a mooring and guardianage business down here in Grenada so I know my moorings are safe
Deniswithane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 05:18   #55

My mooring shown below.

Working line attached with Wichard Snap hook to bow eye includes rubber mooring compensator. No chafe possible. Chafe is how boats break free from moorings in most cases.

Security line is traditional loop line to bow cleat.

This system has survived Hurricane Sandy and a micro burst a few years earlier in Sag Harbor. In both those events boats were lost and driven onto the shore.

In both those events the MAIN line, bow eye/ snap hook failed and the security line held. That worked! Snap hook and bow eye were replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shiva Mooring '12.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	113797  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring