Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2015, 20:16   #1

Boat: Jim Young 28
How do you sleep?

We are in the process of buying our first "proper" boat to live the cruising dream.

My wife and I like the idea of a center cockpit with an aft stateroom. Kind of nice having two separate zones for different activities...

BUT! Although we have spent many nights on boats where the berths are bow-to-stern we never slept in berths that are athwartships. On route we would probably sleep on the settees anyway. But I am somewhat concerned that a boat at anchor would roll quite a bit and that may make for uncomfortable sleeps?

There are boats with alongships berths in the aft stateroom, but they seem quite rare in the size of vessels we are looking at (35-45ft).‎
Reflections101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 20:30   #2

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: How do you sleep?

It depends on where you go, but I've found anchorages to be way calmer than that. I feel the worst roll we've experienced was on the islands off the coast of Los Angeles, and a few open roadstead anchorages in Pacific Mexico. Other than that, I feel roll is generally light enough to not interfere with sleeping, no matter how the berths are arranged.
Old 13-11-2015, 20:35   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

My previous boat was a 34' ketch with a large aft cabin that included a twin-sized berth that stretched beam to beam. I always slept exceedingly well, even underway, with this boat. I guess it depends on the hull shape, but I found our aft cabin berth very comfortable in nearly all conditions. About the only thing I learned was to ensure the dingy was tied off mid-ship to avoid it banging against the hull next to my head.
Old 13-11-2015, 20:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have owned three center cockpit, aft cabin boats; 34', 36' and 42' and all three the aft cabin berths were set up to sleep fore and aft, not athwart ship.

Not sure what boats are available in NZ but in the states lots of boats with this layout. Morgan OI 36 and 41, Pearson 422, Peterson 44/46, Stevens 47, several model of Irwin from 36' and up, the CSY 44, several Gulfstar models from 36' and up, Moody, O'Day, and I'm sure plenty more make boat with double bunk, fore and aft, aft cabin.

There are also a few boats with aft cockpit and aft cabin like the Pearson 424.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 20:50   #5

Athwart would be better when rolling your guts out.

To me, it's the movement of my body, rolling side to side and up and down that was unbearable.

If you're athwart, your body doesn't roll at all. Much better.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 21:03   #6

Thanks all, I'll sleep easier now

skipmac: Will check out the other boats, but there aren't many of those here in NZ.
Old 13-11-2015, 21:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post

To me, it's the movement of my body, rolling side to side and up and down that was unbearable.

I thought cats didn't roll?

But yes, sleeping in a double when rolling can be unpleasant but if rolling equally port and stbd laying athwart ship isn't pleasant as half the time your head is downhill. Best to have a bunk where you can chock yourself in some way and lay fore and aft.
Old 13-11-2015, 21:16   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post

The aft cabin is the best sea berth for beating and close reaching, as the boat tends to pivot about 2/3 of the way aft. It is not as nice as the mid cabin when running, as the autopilot tends to slew you back and forth--in that case, we would usually sleep aft athwartship. The only thing that would get me out of the aft cabin was a wind against current situation where the flat stern would slap waves.

If the boat is rolling side to side, a few sails or sleeping bags around you will stop you from moving. One of my favorite berths on a Santa Cruz 50 was the 'cave' berth mdiships where you were completely enclosed and no one could step on your head. Stuff a spinnaker on one side of you and you could sleep through all hell breaking loose on deck.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 21:23   #9

Have a look at the Jeanneau range. From about the Sun Odyssey 43 onwards(2002 and later) many of the boats have convertible berths. The SO43 can have two cabins at the rear or you can take down the dividing wall and have king size bed. You can also convert the forward bunk beds cabin into a lounge for the bow cabin by removing the walls. Many of the 42+ jeanneaus can be converted this way. SO43 has aft cockpit and standing room at the foot of the bed.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 21:39   #10

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Lots of full time couples sleep in different berths. Its cooler, we don't wake each other when we have to get up, and its quieter.

So, the longitudinal aspect of the main bunks is not (imo) that important.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 22:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I thought cats didn't roll?

But yes, sleeping in a double when rolling can be unpleasant but if rolling equally port and stbd laying athwart ship isn't pleasant as half the time your head is downhill. Best to have a bunk where you can chock yourself in some way and lay fore and aft.
Mine doesn't roll at all. Eats 70' sport fisher wakes for breakfast. Most comfortable boat I've ever owned.

My 5th one.

I nearly quit boating in general after a few sleepless nights on my last mono. No joke. Sold her within weeks and changed to cats just for this reason.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 23:32   #12

Oups, should have known that this will drift into a mono/multi paradigm shootout.
Apologies
Old 14-11-2015, 06:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflections101 View Post
Oups, should have known that this will drift into a mono/multi paradigm shootout.
Apologies
Not to worry. I think the cat and monohull guys would get bored if more than a couple of days passed without a chance to bait each other.

Besides. I have nothing against cats. Might even buy one when I win the lottery. They're great for floating condos.
Old 14-11-2015, 09:05   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

Our Jeanneau DS 41 has a great aft cabin, fore and aft berth, under an aft cockpit. Previous two boats were center cockpit, but I would not go back to center cockpit unless the boat was 50'+. You sail the boat better when you can see all the sails working together.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 09:10   #15

My experience with my boat which I have owned for 30 years is as follows. It has an no much of a stand up after cabin and aft cockpit. The aft cabin's berth is essentially 80" x 80"... really two 60x80's crossing so that one can sleep fore and aft or athwartship... We sleep athwartship. We use our V berth for a closet or for the occasional guest.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote