Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-02-2015, 13:29   #16

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer
Re: How do you remove the pulley to replace the seal leaking at the timing cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Not blaming at all. Just trying to be helpful. If you scratch up the crankshaft trying to, remove the seal, for one thing, you will never be able keep a seal in there. Learn all you can, indeed, but don't do it the hard way. Get a skilled person to guide you, in person, as in looking over your shoulder. Good luck.
Did not know that, thanks! I very much appreciate your input:-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 17-02-2015, 09:28   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: How do you remove the pulley to replace the seal leaking at the timing cover?

Try Google "remove crank pulley" etc & Youtube -same info.
Diesel & gas eng. pretty similar crank pulley. Easiest is to get an electric Tire wrench/gun & appropriate 6point socket for the bolt
Many crank pulleys have tapped holes in them,for screwing puller bolts into.
Pullers are available with these bolts.

Google & Youtube are a great resource for first timers.

Old 17-02-2015, 10:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have made a habit of befriending my local boat mechanics. They like to be tipped and remembered a Xmas.

I always ask if I can watch or lend a hand and if they baulk, I just explain that I might need to effect a similar repair when I am far away from them.

Once you get "their nose open", it's amazing how many tips they will share. I think some repairmen like owners that take an interest in maintaining their own boats and it is in the repairman's self-interest to "show-how-to" the easy jobs, changing impellers, engine oil, etc. because they know you will call them for the valve adjustment...
Old 17-02-2015, 15:44   #19

Boat: Albin Nova 33

Removing my tachometer sensor exposes a handful of flywheel teeth.
Old 18-02-2015, 15:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are a lot of mechanics out there, sent from the local boat repair, that are unqualified to do the repair we're talking about. It is by far better if you learn or at least learn enough to properly observe.
Old 24-02-2015, 17:31   #21

Loosen large bolt with the belt still on. Use large channel lock pliers to hold while pressuring bolt with large ratchet and socket. Use a "Harmonic Balancer Puller" to remove balancer and pulleys attached. Use care and patience to remove seal. Don't dent timing cover. It goes back together easier.
Old 13-04-2015, 22:22   #22
F51

Is this a Lehman 80 or 120? On my 120, the torque spec for the nut holding the crankshaft pulley is 250 ft-lbs! Crazy tight! What I did was get a 3/4"-drive socket for the nut and a 3/4" breaker bar. Attach the nut and breaker bar so that it lays against the port side engine sleeper timber. Bump the starter. The nut will break loose and you can remove it easily. Then get an appropriate-sized puller to remove the crank pulley. Take off the gear cover and have a local shop press out the old seal and install the new one. (you can do these operations yourself on a bench if you are careful. The important part is to get the new seal pressed into the cover correctly). Take some crocus cloth and polish the crank end where the seal rides. Lubricate with 40-wt oil and re-install the gear cover. You can get the seal and gaskets from American Diesel in Kilamarnock VA. Mine has been running fine now for several hundred hours with no leaks. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 23:26   #23

Look at the pulley and see if there are 2 empty bolt holes, they are for bolts, if there are you can put 2 bolts in them deep enough to be secure but with as much still sticking out to fit a large bar between them and use that to hold it while you remove the large nut in the center. You will probably need a puller to get the pulley off the crank, that's what the empty bolt holes are for, the bolts will go through the puller holding it to the pulley then you turn a large bolt that is part of the puller and as you turn it against the crank it will cause the pulley to come off. Then you will als need a tool to get it back on all the way after you change the seal, the puller and installation tool aren't very expensive and can probably even be borrowed from some auto parts stores with a deposit equal to replacement cost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: