Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51   #76

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: How Do You Live Aboard ? A Game We Can All Learn from . . .

I own a steel Pieter Beeldsnijder design from the late ' 70s and use it as my home.
My winterplace is located in the "green heart" of Holland, close to Amsterdam Port and the IJsselmeer.
The boat is 31' - not that big but it is liveable and as a solosailor I am not in need of many luxuries.
Next year I will winter in France or Italy. I have opted for a shallow draft because of the many undeep waters of England and Holland.
The picture of the marina shows a bit the situation. Water and power I have from the shore, downtown of the city is 5 minutes. Amsterdam by railway 15 minutes. The boat is not my boat but a sistership 100% looking alike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	af0685fe-9617-4b56-9d0c-de2b737d5973.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	34388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquamarin.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	34389  

MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 14:53   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
Although I hope not to end up with something equipped like the Starship Enterprise, only time will tell on that...........will report back
The back deck looks like a great place for a teleporter! Or a party! 
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1312933648.png
Views:	184
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	34402  
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 16:28   #78

Spent 4 years building the boat, 44' catamaran Bob Oram design, we've now lived aboard for nearly two. We cruise, avoid marinas, anchor 99% of the time.

We have 600 Watts solar, MPPT regulator, which usually (when it's sunny) provides ample power to run the fridge, freezer, all lights/pumps etc, as well as on alternate days, the watermaker and the breadmaker. If it's not sunny we have a 1kva invertor genset, and 60 amps battery charging.

We carry a small twin-tub washing machine.

We have a smallish TV we rarely watch, if we want to watch a DVD we'll usually watch on the laptop in bed.

Regularly go 2+ months at a time without viviting "civilization".

We have mobile broadband.

Some photo's here: Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56   #79

Boat: Duncanson 37

I will play! 5years alone most of the time! 37 years old....solo half of Australia.In 30 months heading to the Pacific. There is not much I dont have on my boat however I keep it simple.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001_1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	34504   Click image for larger version

Name:	002_2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	34505  

Name:	008_8.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	34506  
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:36   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by southace
I will play! 5years alone most of the time! 37 years old....solo half of Australia.In 30 months heading to the Pacific. There is not much I dont have on my boat however I keep it simple.
Nice looking boat.

I am gathering ideas for an interior refit. May I ask what materials the grey panels are in your galley are are? Also the galley countertops. Very nice and clean installation.

It also appears that your galley build avoids making drawers and the associated carpentry skills that are needed, and I don't have. Do you find not having drawers "inconvenient" when trying to get to stuff in the storage spaces?

I also like the "painted" interior look as opposed to headliner. Looks really easy to keep clean and shiny.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 00:49   #81

Boat: Duncanson 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Nice looking boat.

I am gathering ideas for an interior refit. May I ask what materials the grey panels are in your galley are are? Also the galley countertops. Very nice and clean installation.

It also appears that your galley build avoids making drawers and the associated carpentry skills that are needed, and I don't have. Do you find not having drawers "inconvenient" when trying to get to stuff in the storage spaces?

I also like the "painted" interior look as opposed to headliner. Looks really easy to keep clean and shiny.
Yes its all marine ply coated with epoxy and topcoated with acrilic semi gloss....the headliner is rolled 2 pack...I do not have one draw on the boat never bothered me. The gally locker is lexen plastic and the counter tops are lamanex so far lasted 5 years with out a scratch!
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:27   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I like drawers

Ironically have just removed two to convert the space into a cupboard

But nonetheless the drawers will be recycled (onboard) elsewhere. and possibly a couple added (at some point ). My draw making skills sound about the same as yours (i.e. I would not even contemplate starting from scratch) - my plan is to recycle drawers from either some (solid wood) furniture or kitchen units (Plastic). Simply re-fronting (if needed) is within my skill set
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

I like drawers

Ironically have just removed two to convert the space into a cupboard

But nonetheless the drawers will be recycled (onboard) elsewhere. and possibly a couple added (at some point ). My draw making skills sound about the same as yours (i.e. I would not even contemplate starting from scratch) - my plan is to recycle drawers from either some (solid wood) furniture or kitchen units (Plastic). Simply re-fronting (if needed) is within my skill set
I have built perfectly my office desk, my china cabinet, two dressers and two bedside tables. Ikea even prvides the allen key...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 19:06   #84

Boat: 34' O'Day
Re: How Do You Live Aboard ? A Game We Can All Learn from . . . :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
The young lady and I (ok, not so young, we're both in our early 30's) live aboard our 39' sailing trimaran. In three years we've spent about two months at a dock and the rest at anchor.

For entertainment we have our laptops, iPhones and eBook readers. The boat is wired for always-on internet access using an Ericsson W35 cellphone access point. We take advantage of friends' addictions to downloading movies and the like, and bring over a portable hard drive when we go visiting, stocking up on television entire seasons at a time.

We both work online, but we're leaving in a month to head south with no destination and no schedule. Lots of work before we go though... still have to get the watermaker and the solar panels installed!!

I know its pretty late but what kind of work do you do online? My husband and I are in our 20s and very recently paid cash for our 34 foot Oday and we have been tring to find a steady online income to fund our silly little eating habit.
youngncruisin is offline   Reply With Quote