Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 07:45   #31

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: How Do You Get Around when You Get There ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
After sitting on a boat for a long time its nice to get out and WALK!! I know, I know... its a little untraditional, but walking is good for you and you can cover large distances very cheaply.
Walking is great, but a bike really extends your range. Example; was in Ventura CA and needed a slide fitting for my mainsail. Called around and found that a marine store had them in stock. It was about 12 miles from where we were moored. Got on my Dahon bike and was there in less than an hour. A 24 mile round trip by foot would have taken all day.

One opinion on bikes: If someone has ridden bikes for years and is used to riding in traffic etc. they tend to use their bikes a lot when in ports. Those that are not used to riding will tend not to ride, and will spout opinions of bikes not being worth the hassle. I think it is a matter of attitude. I enjoy riding my bike and look for any opportunity to do so. For me hauling a bike around is well worth it, and a good folding bike allows me to explore a lot of places I would have missed without one.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:38   #32

As many miles as I put on my bikes I'm sure I'd get into it very quickly again, even though it's been years. I did ride a new bike at a bike shop in the parking lot, it was over 5K (LOL) but I could tell it was something like I'd never been on, very light. My bikes were in the 25 to 27 lb area and ther is to break down. Just saying, a bike could go in a bag and strap on just about any place I would think. I have some good shoes, but I'd rather ride a bike and even better for me is to flip a switch and varooom.

Anyone have an electric scooter? I talked to a gal who was riding one, she said it lasted about an hour or hour and a half, depending on speed and where she rode (like up hills) and took about 4 hours to charge on the onboard system. I didn't think much of that, speed would hit almost 30. But, to run to town and back or go out to eat and walk around, it's a good option. I bet lots of places would let you plug in while you were spending your money at the bar!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:50   #33

The pair of folding mountain bikes I had were brand new and a joy to ride. They had the padded bags etc. However they become HUGE onboard and when trying to get them in a locker or down below into the double quarter berth. I scratched a lot of teak and cussed a lot. Then, you have to get them in the dingy! I had a 10ft Caribe RIB at the time. Two mountain bikes essentially fill that rib when folded. If you have nice bikes then you will want to leave the covers/bags on for the dingy ride to keep the salt off. Then what do you do with the bags when you need all the room in your back pack for food etc? Living aboard at the dock it doesnt matter, cruising and moving it's tough. I liked the small 16? 18"? because it was cheap, I just left it attached to the stern pulpit, fit in the dingy.. and most of all.... I used it! These are nearly as fast as larger bikes and have fat tires that take chuckholes etc as well. At the end of 3 years it was getting rusty... only in a few uncoated spots. Who cares! Gave it away... Just sayin....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 11:53   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

even i8f riding fo r years, you do not really wanna ride a bike in city styreets inb mexico-- can be treacherous..buses are great here
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 15:07   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

SCHIWIN ELEC. SCOOTER, SMALL AND FOLDS, AND WILL GO 30MILES ON A SINGLE CHARGE..CHEAP ALSO..250.00 OR SO
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 15:33   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Looking at the charge requirements, the weight, dinghy transfer, and the questionable advantage over a good pedaling bike; I think I wil remain with the bicycle. We have evolved with our bicycles over time and, though we liked our folding Dahons, we've gone to full size 26" quick disconnect wheels. Bicycles with both forward and rear quick disconnect wheels are now our best choice.
Old 13-08-2011, 16:08   #37

capt force--is what i use when i am trying not to get murdered by cars in cities.. full sized mountain bike with 26 in wheels and quick release both wheels and seat--fits into my forepeak nicely while underway and since is a lightweight metal frame i can lift it in and out without help.
Old 16-08-2011, 19:54   #38

Anyplace that bicycles are used, you can find a cheap used one. Anyplace they aren't used, you stick out. I've used a few in my travels, but always end up giving them away when I leave the area. Except the one that was stolen in Fla..
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 20:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
Anyplace that bicycles are used, you can find a cheap used one. Anyplace they aren't used, you stick out. I've used a few in my travels, but always end up giving them away when I leave the area. Except the one that was stolen in Fla..
here in mazatlan, many of the locals own brand new shiny bikes--mountain bikes. some have used up old beach cruisers, but most have the nice 'n' shiny new all terrain type medium priced bicycles. is pleasant to see this.
makes it a lot easier to use what i have and not stick out , except that mine is a bit used looking.
you would be surprised at how the natives live, actually, if you havent been here to witness and mingle.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

here in mazatlan, many of the locals own brand new shiny bikes--mountain bikes. some have used up old beach cruisers, but most have the nice 'n' shiny new all terrain type medium priced bicycles. is pleasant to see this.
makes it a lot easier to use what i have and not stick out , except that mine is a bit used looking.
you would be surprised at how the natives live, actually, if you havent been here to witness and mingle.
I meant - where bikes are used by ppl, you can find one. Where ppl don't use bikes, you stand out if you use yours.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:34   #41

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
SCHIWIN ELEC. SCOOTER, SMALL AND FOLDS, AND WILL GO 30MILES ON A SINGLE CHARGE..CHEAP ALSO..250.00 OR SO
For exercise in port, ride scooter to local health club, ride stationary bike for an hour, ride scooter back to boat.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:56   #42

Segway of Central Florida - Build Yours
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 08:50   #43

LOL, The X2 might do it, but only a 12 mile range....I wonder if they come with trailers...

Looks like the bicycles have it hands down. Maybe a weedeater engine would help on my bicycle.

The idea of the motorcycle is fading....but not forgotten.........
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 21:48   #44

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post

Looks like the bicycles have it hands down. Maybe a weedeater engine would help on my bicycle.

The idea of the motorcycle is fading....but not forgotten.........
Like this? Way cool.

Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

I am loving my new adult Razor scooters. Done the folding bikes and folding motorcycles. The Razor scooters have got me smiling again. They're a little addictive. I'm now the oldest 12 year old you'll ever see.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:11   #45

but are the scooters good for provisioning your boat in a rural port with dirt roads and hills.....