Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 14:49   #1

How Do You Deal with All the Windy Days Here in Florida

Just wonder how people deal with all the windy days we have been having here in Florida while you liveaboard full time.
Seems like it would become a pain after a while. Do you put down two
anchors to make sure it will hold?

The Catamarans might not roll around as much but will have more wind surface area to push around.

How have the winds been. I see there is a front on its way down. I was watching chaserTV site last night of the stuff coming down this way.
Looks like the front will be coming through Tampa around 9pm.
Hope al of you are doing well with all this wind we have been having.

Been thinking about crusing myself for a while to see if I would like it.
Looking at some Cats and some Monos. I like the Gemini because I could
get back into some skinny waters to explore plus get tucked back in a calm area on the windy days where other boat can't get 15" and less to even beach it if the no-see-ums aren't to bad.
Pine Island is a place I always thought would be neat to explore. Ive fished there in my 17ft fishing boat a few times.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 15:00   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: How do you deal with all the windy days here in Florida

Always makes me dream I'm on an airplane experiencing turbulence.

That front came through here at daylight this morning and I was on a swing wing airliner that looked like the new dreamliner except with swing wings. Then I woke up and retaped the plastic over a port I'm working on and went back to sleep.

I'm on a lay wall so just check the fenders and carry on. But for you I think you should have a single anchor that you trust in all expected conditions short of a hurricane before considering additional ground tackle.

I have dropped a second anchor straight down off the bow just to drag around back and forth to slow down the sailing at anchor my boat tends to do in a strong wind. The name of that technique escapes me at the moment. edit to add,,.... it's a hammerlock moor or drudging.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 18:43   #3

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

I'm learning to reef my main
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 18:55   #4

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I got this idea from reading some older posts,,sounds pretty straight forward and logical to me.
Hang a five gallon bucket from each side of the Pontoons,,or in the case of a mono,,port and starboard,,they will act as stabilizers and slow the rocking motion.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 21:34   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As long as the wind and waves come from the same direction, being at anchor is not a problem. If there is a long fetch for the waves to build and/or the waves come from a different direction than the wind and/or the wind gets to really howling then it's a different story. Most anchorages are reasonably protected so even 30 knots plus wind isn't a big thing. The real problem is staying dry getting to shore in your dinghy with the spray.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 21:34   #6

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
I got this idea from reading some older posts,,sounds pretty straight forward and logical to me.
Hang a five gallon bucket from each side of the Pontoons,,or in the case of a mono,,port and starboard,,they will act as stabilizers and slow the rocking motion.
I never thought of that, hydraulic damping, so logical... Thanks, I'll try it next time we start rolling.
Old 03-03-2012, 21:42   #7

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

The five gallon buckets are just a variation of "Flopper-Stoppers", many trawlers have them, vanes that lowered off a boom on either side to cut down on the roll. Most shrimp boats have some versions of them to hang off their trawl booms.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 22:16   #8

I have heard about the dingy getting wet problems so many times now that i am thinking of a light weight storm cover for the dingy,,stay nice and dry as long as you can i think is the key..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
As long as the wind and waves come from the same direction, being at anchor is not a problem. If there is a long fetch for the waves to build and/or the waves come from a different direction than the wind and/or the wind gets to really howling then it's a different story. Most anchorages are reasonably protected so even 30 knots plus wind isn't a big thing. The real problem is staying dry getting to shore in your dinghy with the spray.

Old 03-03-2012, 23:23   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
How far below the waterline would you hang them? I'm guessing a shorter rope is better, but too short would make a noise by banging on the hull?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:44   #10

I would suggest only as deep as five feet below waterline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
How far below the waterline would you hang them? I'm guessing a shorter rope is better, but too short would make a noise by banging on the hull?

Old 04-03-2012, 00:05   #11

Re: How Do You Deal with All the Windy Days Here in Florida

Another technique that works well is to bring the dinghy by the side of the boat, harness it, and lift with one of the halyards. The dinghy should be just-just out of the water, maybe touching the surface of the water a bit in one or two spots.

If you have an engine on the dinghy leave it with the dinghy, it'll work even better. We also fasten the dinghy to the stanchions just in case and put a fender between dinghy and the boat.

This setup dampens even uncomfortable rocking to barely noticeable one. You can adjust how much the boat rocks by playing with the halyard. And make sure that your harness lifts the dinghy almost parallel out of the water.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31   #12

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

Funny this should be a topic when I logged on to CF this morning. On a mooring in Key West City mooring field. At present winds are from the south/southeast at 15 gusting to 20. Forcast is for winds to clock with passage of the cold front with winds 25 to 30 and gusts to gale force catagory out of the north/northeast. Winds will be 15 to 20 thru Thur.
I just stay on the boat (Prout 31) unless absolutly needed to go ashore. Tomorrow I wil be leaving to go to work, I put things that can't get wet in a drybag, put on the foulies and go slow into the winds until I can get in a lee and then follow it around until I get to the cut to the dinghy dock.
When the winds are out of the north here it does get lumpy to say the least as the mooring field is totally exposed to the north. I would say that 50 percent of the folks living aboard on the mooring field here have regular jobs they must attend and they deal with it as I do. Although no one likes it when it becomes rough it sure beats shoveling snow or fighting the cold. I chalk it all up as part of the results of the choices made to live this life style, wouldn't have it any other way.

"Some days your the bug, Some days your the windshield"
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44   #13

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

This just in from NOAA weather service, won't need a blender for the margaritas today LOL
Quote:
weather.gov
National Weather Service

Watches, Warnings & Advisories

Local weather forecast by "City, St" or zip code

Gale Warning

AMZ080-041530-SW N ATLANTIC S OF 31N W OF 65W INCLUDING BAHAMAS430 AM EST SUN MAR 04 2012...GALE WARNING N OF 28N E OF FRONT TO 72W AND N OF 27N W OFFRONT TO 80W SUN....TODAY...N OF 27N W OF FRONT TO 80W NW WINDS INCREASING TO 30 TO35 KT. SEAS 8 TO 11 FT N OF BAHAMAS. ELSEWHERE W OF FRONT NWWINDS 25 TO 30 KT. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT. N OF 28N E OF FRONT TO 72W SWWINDS 30 TO 35 KT. SEAS 9 TO 13 FT. ELSEWHERE N OF 25N E OFFRONT S TO SW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 7 TO 10 FT. S OF 25N E OFFRONT SE TO S WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...EXCEPT S TO SW WINDS W OFBAHAMAS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FT E OF BAHAMAS AND 2 TO 4 FT W OF BAHAMAS.SCATTERED SHOWERS AND TSTMS ALONG FRONT..TONIGHT...W OF FRONT NW TO N WINDS 25 TO 30 KT. SEAS 8 TO 12FT...EXCEPT 5 TO 8 FT W OF 80W. N OF 26N E OF FRONT S TO SWWINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 8 TO 11 FT. S OF 25N E OF FRONT E TO SEWINDS 10 TO 15 KT...EXCEPT E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT S OF 22N. SEAS 6TO 8 FT E OF BAHAMAS AND 2 TO 4 FT W OF BAHAMAS. SCATTEREDSHOWERS AND TSTMS ALONG FRONT..MON AND MON NIGHT...N OF 30N W OF 75W W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS5 TO 7 FT. ELSEWHERE W OF FRONT NW TO N WINDS 10 TO 15KT...EXCEPT 15 TO 20 KT W OF BAHAMAS. SEAS 8 TO 11 FT W OF FRONTTO 75W...AND 5 TO 7 FT ELSEWHERE. E OF FRONT SE TO S WINDS 15 TO20 KT...EXCEPT E TO SE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT S OF 22N...AND NE TO EWINDS 10 TO 15 KT W OF BAHAMAS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FT E OF BAHAMAS AND2 TO 4FT W OF BAHAMAS. SCATTERED SHOWERS ALONG FRONT..TUE...NW OF FRONT NE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 8 TO 10 FT E OFBAHAMAS AND 5 TO 7 FT W OF BAHAMAS. SE OF FRONT E TO SE WINDS 10TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 8 FT IN E SWELL..WED...NE TO E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 8 TO 12 FT E OF BAHAMASAND 4 TO 7 FT W OF BAHAMAS..THU...NE TO E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 9 TO 13 FT E OF BAHAMASAND 5 TO 8 FT W OF BAHAMAS.$$FORECASTER
U.S. Dept. of Commerce
NOAA National Weather Service
1325 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910
E-mail: w-nws.webmaster@noaa.gov
Page last modified: June 2, 2009
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE: for Safety, for Work, for Fun - FOR LIFE
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:48   #14

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

You guys are funny.

My suggestion is enjoy the weather we have now. You'll be wanting the wind back in the middle of july.
Old 04-03-2012, 14:54   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

even heard of an anchor sail?

Tags
florida