Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2014, 04:45   #61

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Re: How Do You Control The Diesel Smell In Your Cabin.

I had a very strong smell of diesel after changing fuel filter. I knew I did not spill, so what's up? Dig further into it, the bleeder screw brass bushing was compromised. Leaking about a drop a minute. Could not see it, finally discovered where drips were coming from. New washer, leak gone,about a week,smell gone. As I said earlier, if you smell raw diesel, there is a leak. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 16:40   #62

Unscrew the radiator cap, and drive a new boat under it! Replace cap, and there! Good as new. No more smell!
dan19300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 17:03   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan19300 View Post
Unscrew the radiator cap, and drive a new boat under it! Replace cap, and there! Good as new. No more smell!
Well, that may work for automobiles, but I looked, and I ain't got no radiator cap on my boat.

Guess I'll have to try something else, like keeping the diesel in the tanks or hoses instead of lying about the engine box.

Jim
Old 17-11-2014, 02:16   #64

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Guess I'll have to try something else, like keeping the diesel in the tanks or hoses instead of lying about the engine box.
Jim
Easier said than done on my boat...

Matt
Old 17-11-2014, 02:48   #65

I have not seen the breather from the engine mentioned. On my Catalina 30 with a Universal M25xp the engine breather vented to the air, the cabin. I moved the output to a barb into the air cleaner. Much of the diesel smell went away.
rbjenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 03:36   #66

I've had a few diesel leaks and of course cleaning them with soap etc. is the first line of defense. However all odors will find their way into textiles and foam products as mentioned previously... diesel or some mildew odor.

We have our throw pillows dry clean every year because they also pick up odor. The boat for the most part has no foul odor but even a small amount is dissipated when the hatches are opened and some fresh air course through. We often use room scents like cedar or lavendar and that gives a pleasant aroma. Our head has IS the shower so it get a wash whenever we show and has no bad smells.

The diesel smells all originate from the area of the diesel tank... One has to be very careful when working with hoses which contain diesel.. like plumbing a diesel heater. Use paper towel drops to protect from drips and put them in plastic bags for disposal. Scrub down all spills ASAP. I don't smell the diesel except when I fill up. I do smell diesel exhaust which is also unpleasant. Admiral hates both and in very sensitive to smells... but now it's mostly the motoring down wind which is unpleasant. Not much can be done about that.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 15:32   #67

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I've had a few diesel leaks and of course cleaning them with soap etc. is the first line of defense. However all odors will find their way into textiles and foam products as mentioned previously... diesel or some mildew odor.

We have our throw pillows dry clean every year because they also pick up odor. The boat for the most part has no foul odor but even a small amount is dissipated when the hatches are opened and some fresh air course through. We often use room scents like cedar or lavendar and that gives a pleasant aroma. Our head has IS the shower so it get a wash whenever we show and has no bad smells.

The diesel smells all originate from the area of the diesel tank... One has to be very careful when working with hoses which contain diesel.. like plumbing a diesel heater. Use paper towel drops to protect from drips and put them in plastic bags for disposal. Scrub down all spills ASAP. I don't smell the diesel except when I fill up. I do smell diesel exhaust which is also unpleasant. Admiral hates both and in very sensitive to smells... but now it's mostly the motoring down wind which is unpleasant. Not much can be done about that.
Mmmmhmmmm. I don't like the diesel exhaust coming below if we motor downwind, and I know sometimes that's the only alternative. However, sometimes, turning off the engine and sailing downwind is a way better alternative.

Ann
Old 23-01-2015, 19:25   #68

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

I mix some sandalwood oil with lots of kerosene. Chuck it in the bilge and go sailing to let the swell do the work.

Kero emulsifies any diesel left over and it's relatively non-toxic. When I'm done, I chuck liberal amounts of seawater into the bilge and pump it all out.

Sandalwood smells lovely and the faint kero smell is only detectable to me, probably because I put it there.

I did this after a roll-over.

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 19:27   #69

... as for soft furnishings, a swig of kero/sandalwood in the washing machine works wonders.

Peace.
Old 23-01-2015, 19:37   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr42 View Post
... as for soft furnishings, a swig of kero/sandalwood in the washing machine works wonders.

Peace.
I prefer the simpler solutions .... keep my bilges clean and dry.
Old 23-01-2015, 20:58   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I prefer the simpler solutions .... keep my bilges clean and dry.

Yep, until you get caught out...

But then, some sailors have enough experience to outrun cyclones in the middle of the pacific. If you have any sense at all, you don't leave the pier if it's going to blow over 15 knots within a year after you plan to be back.

I, for one, carry a decade's supply of food and a million liters of water and fuel every time I leave the marina, not to mention the 40 spare engines and a textile factory... 'coz it pays to be perfect.

Peace.
Old 23-01-2015, 23:10   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

But then, some sailors have enough experience to outrun cyclones in the middle of the pacific. If you have any sense at all, you don't leave the pier if it's going to blow over 15 knots within a year after you plan to be back.

I, for one, carry a decade's supply of food and a million liters of water and fuel every time I leave the marina, not to mention the 40 spare engines and a textile factory... 'coz it pays to be perfect.

Peace.
Your logic baffles me
Old 24-01-2015, 00:11   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your logic baffles me
And of course, the fact that his practice of pumping a kero/diesel/sandalwood mixture overboard would earn him an enormous fine in the USA and many other places, likely even in the land of the long white cloud... totally illegal, and not very nice, either!

Great advice... NOT!

Jim
Old 27-01-2015, 01:54   #74

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Peace.
That's sarcasim isn't it

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 20:22   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sure, the simple answer is to not have a diesel leak, but many of us have experienced the time between the leaking and the repair. I remember a rear seal leak on a Westerbeke that was a major problem to repair and then a problem with the high pressure pump that I didn't feel capable of addressing until I could reach a suitable port.

There's scrubbing and collecting waste fluids from the engine sump. I thought that lemon juice was a good smell treatment. I don't know of a very effective solution, but it's not of any service to the question just to dismiss it by saying keep it clean and don't have a leak.

Tags
cabin, diesel