Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2010, 15:45   #106

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I just spent a weekend packing up for a move to an apartment, so I have some stuff to sort out and get rid of. I figure about half my paperback sci fi collection is going in the bin.

It hurts. I find it hard to go against my upbringing but it has to be done. Nothing for it but to grit your teeth and toss as fast as you can. At least once its gone, all you can go is whine about it as you go through withdrawal.

As for yard sales, I figure that its not worth it. With a bad back, its more aggrevation than its worth. Not enough return on time invested. Not to mention, people expect to pay next to zilch for your stuff. Kijjiji is more of the same. I've been trying to sell stuff for a couple of months, all i get is people emailing me how they can get it somewhere else cheaper, how about dropping the price.

Sabre

SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:53   #107

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I figure about half my paperback sci fi collection is going in the bin.
Yeah, I had 5 large boxes of books that had to go. Try your local library, they may want them.

The hardest part of getting rid of a lot of my stuff was throwing away perfectly good things, even if I don't need them anymore. Motorcycle gear, old video equipment, furniture, kitchen appliances. Just wasn't worth trying to sell a lot of it.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15   #108

I have to say that I'm pretty excited (even if a little nervous) about getting rid of all my stuff. I'm a single female in my late 20s who compared to my peers is pretty frugal, and it still boggles my mind that I have so many THINGS. The main items that I haven't quite figured out what to do about are books (especially those that are out of print and not generally in libraries) and sheet music (again, not usually in libraries). With the sheet music I likely will be scanning what I think I may need as a professional musician and putting the rest in storage, I can't quite bring myself to throw it out yet. With books I am not sure, I am starting the process of wheedling it down, will sell some, donate some, store some, and take some with me. I can't wait for the sense of freedom not having as much stuff will give me, every bit helps and makes me more energized to do this.
Old 08-08-2010, 13:20   #109

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
the last bits to let go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I have to say that I'm pretty excited (even if a little nervous) about getting rid of all my stuff. I'm a single female in my late 20s who compared to my peers is pretty frugal, and it still boggles my mind that I have so many THINGS. The main items that I haven't quite figured out what to do about are books (especially those that are out of print and not generally in libraries) and sheet music (again, not usually in libraries). With the sheet music I likely will be scanning what I think I may need as a professional musician and putting the rest in storage, I can't quite bring myself to throw it out yet. With books I am not sure, I am starting the process of wheedling it down, will sell some, donate some, store some, and take some with me. I can't wait for the sense of freedom not having as much stuff will give me, every bit helps and makes me more energized to do this.

I hope I don't sound like a dullard, but have you tried Craig's List to find good homes for the last bits you have - out of print books and sheet music? It's a free want ad list, as you likely know, and targets the local population so you don't have to ship it.

The out of print books sound quite interesting. Actually, so does the sheet music. There's someone out there that will want them.

Best wishes.
Old 08-08-2010, 15:05   #110

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
With the sheet music I likely will be scanning what I think I may need as a professional musician and putting the rest in storage, I can't quite bring myself to throw it out yet.
Hi Dizzy - just a tip on that part - I'm in the process of converting all mine to MusicReader format, which I got with my AirTurn. Since I'm building a piano into my boat, I'm going to all-electronic music, and the AirTurn allows page turns with a foot pedal in the MusicReader environment. A utility called MusicConvert takes scanned sheets or PDFs and imports them into a library, and then you go from there. A little rough around the edges from my Mac perspective, but pretty cool... and it solves the paper problem without a lot of cumbersome scanned image files.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-08-2010, 16:09   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
I hope I don't sound like a dullard, but have you tried Craig's List to find good homes for the last bits you have - out of print books and sheet music? It's a free want ad list, as you likely know, and targets the local population so you don't have to ship it.

The out of print books sound quite interesting. Actually, so does the sheet music. There's someone out there that will want them.

Best wishes.
I'm not worried about someone not wanting them- plenty of geeks out there on my instrument- my problem is more that much of this was expensive, out of print, or otherwise hard to find. I don't want to throw things away and then get called to do certain pieces, which often go for $50 a pop if they are even available. Same goes for books that I occasional need for studies/reference/papers- don't want to have to pay for these again, it's worth storing them I think to save the money and aggravation of finding them again. It's happened before....
Old 08-08-2010, 16:12   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Hi Dizzy - just a tip on that part - I'm in the process of converting all mine to MusicReader format, which I got with my AirTurn. Since I'm building a piano into my boat, I'm going to all-electronic music, and the AirTurn allows page turns with a foot pedal in the MusicReader environment. A utility called MusicConvert takes scanned sheets or PDFs and imports them into a library, and then you go from there. A little rough around the edges from my Mac perspective, but pretty cool... and it solves the paper problem without a lot of cumbersome scanned image files.

Cheers,
Steve
I have not heard of AirTurn specifically but I think I know what you are talking about- I remember seeing this in concert back in 2003 or so (a violinist was playing the Ligeti concerto with a prototype of this her husband designed, yikes!). I will definitely check this out! Thanks for the reference.
Old 08-08-2010, 17:06   #113

Boat: Radford 40
Hey Dizzy Great to see you making the break, lots of folks just can not get there!

I have some out of prin books, and I gave them to my daughter for safe keeping, and I think that is always the best bet. The second best thing is to pay for some secure stoage space. Almost regardless of where you are in the US (?) you can find a storage facility that will store such items, even in HVAC if that is what you wish, and most facilities will accept small lots, you do not have to rent a whole room for yourself. The two downsides to this are the costs and the possibility that the items may get "misplaced" but if you are going to the trouble of scanning or converting the actual data to an electronic medium, all you would lose in that instance is the historical side of things.

Where are you going cruising and when?

Tom
Old 08-08-2010, 22:30   #114

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
I too am in the process of clearing out and putting the house up for sale. We originally hadn't planned on selling the house so soon as we are not planning on leaving for 2 1/2 more years but the just making the decision to list it made our departure date seem so much closer. We had moved off a boat 8 years ago into our house and I am astonished (appauled) by the amount of junk that we have accumulated!

We moved in with what fit in our cars and no furniture. In eight years we have filled every closet, cubbord, drawer, shelf, 2 car garage, and a storage shed to the tops. Now I am trying sell it all to move onto a SMALLER boat than what I had before the house. Oh boy.

We have already had a huge yard sale but found a much more entertaing way of getting rid of our junk today. We just neatly piled/lined up our junk by the street then peeked through the windows as people pulled up to dig through it. We watched some guy play with base of our old roller furler for some time. He just couldn't figure out what that weird spinning thing was. He finally shrugged his shoulders and took it anyway. Really, we were entertained all day.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45   #115

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post

We have already had a huge yard sale but found a much more entertaing way of getting rid of our junk today. We just neatly piled/lined up our junk by the street then peeked through the windows as people pulled up to dig through it. We watched some guy play with base of our old roller furler for some time. He just couldn't figure out what that weird spinning thing was. He finally shrugged his shoulders and took it anyway. Really, we were entertained all day.
A lot of people have found a niche selling other peoples cast-a-ways on ebay...I know a lady whom claims making 500.00 per week doing it...I don't know if that's gross or net though....still not cump change either way....more then Iv been making a lot of weeks this past two years.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 21:48   #116

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
A lot of people have found a niche selling other peoples cast-a-ways on ebay...I know a lady whom claims making 500.00 per week doing it...I don't know if that's gross or net though....still not cump change either way....more then Iv been making a lot of weeks this past two years.
I believe this-at the yardsale someone was scanning each of my books with his iphone to get their price and was sorting them into piles. I told him he could have them for 2.oo for a box--but only if he took them all! He was thrilled and I was thrilled. yeah.
Old 18-08-2010, 13:23   #117
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
We started six months before the move, running ads to sell things such as the guest room furniture. We also used paid storage for the first year, after which we had a better perspective on what was important. Many storage units allow you to have a "yard" sale at your unit, so it was easy to get rid of more stuff. Don't overlook the value of donations. Sometimes things won't sell at a yard sale but are worth a tidy tax deduction.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:27   #118

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
I hired someone who does estate sales and auctions. I pulled out the few things I wanted to keep and told her to make everything else in the house go away. She made it happen. No work on my part, nothing went in the trash, and (even after paying her 40%) I made more $$ than I would have if I sold everything my self. She sold some of my stuff for more than I paid for it new. I was amazed the prices they got for most of my things. Many specialty items they pulled out to sell at specialty shows, on Craig's List or Ebay. The rest they sold at a moving sale. Stuff that did not sell they hauled away to bring to another sale.

I highly recommend the experience if you can find someone you trust.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:32   #119
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Estate sale person

How did you find such a person/service?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I hired someone who does estate sales and auctions. I pulled out the few things I wanted to keep and told her to make everything else in the house go away. She made it happen. No work on my part, nothing went in the trash, and (even after paying her 40%) I made more $$ than I would have if I sold everything my self. She sold some of my stuff for more than I paid for it new. I was amazed the prices they got for most of my things. Many specialty items they pulled out to sell at specialty shows, on Craig's List or Ebay. The rest they sold at a moving sale. Stuff that did not sell they hauled away to bring to another sale.

I highly recommend the experience if you can find someone you trust.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:39   #120

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Friend of a Friend in my case, but I think you could look up "Estate Sales" in your phone book to find people. This is a big business. Normally it is done when someone dies and the relatives just want everything in the house to go away. They do not want anything in the house and do not want to deal with it. Sound Familiar?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: