Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2009, 11:48   #61

Boat: Columbia 41
If you have family photo albums or childhood keepsakes you cannot part with, leave them with family. But if you buy a reasonably sized boat - something like a Morgan OI 41, you will have space for what is most important to you. My biggest problem was winter and summer clothing. You can bag it and store it away in some compartment or other. But if you have two or three nice Harris tweed coats, it is hard to choose between them. Again, give the lesser one to a family member. It hurts, but not quite so much.

Sam
aboard S/V Plan B

Old 25-10-2009, 17:44   #62
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
If you have family photo albums or childhood keepsakes you cannot part with, leave them with family.
We left a few boxes of photos at Mum's and when we arrived in Sydney my sister greeted us, burst into tears and said Mum houe got flooded and all our stuff was destroyed. We just laughed. We just couldnt care. 6 months cruising does that

Most of the photos were fine after they were dried out... but we really havent given them a second thought since.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 18:42   #63

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Well it's down to the 28 day mark....the final sell it or leave it day is November 29th....were having the last party to say "see you later" to friends...hope they take something home with them...at least one thing would be good......and then we are off to the boat in Cortez,Fl..........thank god ,the weather in Atlanta sux.......LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 19:02   #64

Tonight is the last night in the house - all of our stuff is either on the boat, with family or sold. Boat is loaded & ready to go from Charleston, SC. Like "aboutgone" I too hope the weather is going to get better as we go south. We had a final "good buy" party with friends and most left with some great stuff, real cheap. It feels good to be rid of all the stuff we have been hoarding in the house over the last 3 years. One thing we've promised ourselves is not to buy this much again!
Old 02-11-2009, 21:39   #65
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
friends...hope they take something home with them...at least one thing would be good
I think you need to use psychology to help you.... this like: If you don't take at least 3 pieces of junk I will never talk to you again, you will be off my Chritmas card email list and all thoughts of invitations to come visit us in Antigua are OFFFFFFF!

This should help

Good luck! LOL

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:08   #66

LOL......That should work just fine..................Ed
Old 03-11-2009, 13:10   #67

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
congratulations - and good advice to not buy in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffa View Post
Tonight is the last night in the house - all of our stuff is either on the boat, with family or sold. Boat is loaded & ready to go from Charleston, SC. Like "aboutgone" I too hope the weather is going to get better as we go south. We had a final "good buy" party with friends and most left with some great stuff, real cheap. It feels good to be rid of all the stuff we have been hoarding in the house over the last 3 years. One thing we've promised ourselves is not to buy this much again!
wow! you are off on your adventure. hooray!

we are still divesting junk. been looking for a boat for 2 years and getting rid of stuff for same amount of time. First six months had garage sales, donated to charity and gave things to friends and relatives, then moved a crap load of stuff across country at great expense and stored at great expense for a year. then gave that stuff away and sold it and gave to charity....

now we are down to clothes, a few dishes, and a pile of memorabilia such as photos and slides from the homes of our deceased parents. I'm digitizing that stuff as fast as I can. It cannot go on the boat.

It is really tuff to get rid of stuff! (ha ha) so not buying it in the first place is the solution

we are nearly there (divested of stuff and on a boat) and we too will never buy junk ever again - I swear!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 14:23   #68
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The first I was so broke I couldn't pay attention. I did store severl tool boxes in a friend's garage.

Second time I
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 14:27   #69
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Second time I donated cars, and a 2 bedroom apartment of beautiful furniture. Got a healthy tax write off for it too.

Right now we're dividing into three sections in the storage unit. Garage sale pile, dumpster pile,, and ship to the Philippines pile. Everything else, and it will be very little is going on the boat.

I quit work in less than 3 weeks, and we are out of here this winter. Damn that felt good to type.......lolololol.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 06:14   #70

Well Guys and Gals: It's three days and counting,loading up the truck and trailer and heading south on Sunday.Managed to Find a great boat to buy,a furnished house to rent while we outfit the boat,a place to dock the boat for outfitting,and got rid of all our living on dirt stuff in two months.....Man that seemed like a year or more....Our bon voyage party is Friday at our local pub,got a large address book full of family and long time friends contact info.We hope to have all the new systems installed and tweaked by January 1st so we can move aboard. Let me say that it has been one stressful hell of a ride........When we hit the Florida line,maybe I will start to relax a bit.
I want to thank all of you on this thread for making this ride bearable. It always helps to have someone's story of how they did it to help you keep your eye on the ball so to speak...................Thanks a million ...........Ed & Yvonne Morris CSY44 S/V Prime Time.......... P.S. Happy Thanksgiving
Old 26-11-2009, 06:33   #71

Boat: Oday30-B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
was just wondering. How did you go about the final down sizing?......Ed
Downsizing is a state of mind… through much of my life about all I’ve ever accumulated (in my mind) is a pile of books, an Army cot and my rocking chair -- trully, that's all I bring to a relationship; my tools are close seconds, but replaceable and the rest come and go as I break-up housekeeping every ten years or so… last time I just left it all for six months, went back and looked at the junk and (almost laterally) shoveled the stuff into a dumpster… Had an ol’ sergeant once that said a good soldier should never own more than they can carry on their back – I’ve broken that, but not badly and he was right I’ve come to realize… I’m generally attached to little more than I can strap on my bike, or haul in the boat… yeah, I know that probably offends 51% of the human race, but as in all things the trick is to marry someone of like mind…
Old 26-11-2009, 06:40   #72

This reminds me of that Steve Martin movie the Jerk........" All i need is this Chair, this lamp,and this thermos"..................well and my tools,my wife and this coffee maker......LOL
Old 26-11-2009, 07:01   #73

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)
COMPUTERS AND FLASH DRIVES

Thank God for flash drives.

I've digitized as much of my life as I can. My paintings, my photos and my documents.

I envision living on a boat . . . at least for the warm months and living in a somewhat larger "trailer", in the cold months(as to not b able to accumulate more "junk").

With any luck, I might actually experience some year-round sailboat living . . . somewhat on the "hook".
Old 26-11-2009, 07:47   #74

Boat: Columbia 41
I live on my Columbia 41. It has lots of storage that you know about. It also has a few unsued and inaccessable spaces between the liner and the hull. I found these to behind the saloon setees to P & S. They are now, respectively tool storage and dish storage. Just the other day I found space behind the head. It is about 12" deep and 18" high. It may become a dirty clothes hamper...or something.

Anyway, if you buy a good size boat...and there are lots of older boats out there...downsizing is not such a major issue. If you intend to live out of a seabag, well, that's something else.
Old 26-11-2009, 19:23   #75
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Anyway, if you buy a good size boat...and there are lots of older boats out there...downsizing is not such a major issue. If you intend to live out of a seabag, well, that's something else.
Hmmm....no matter how big a boat we buy, we still have a houseful of furniture. Not many lazarettes or lockers on a boat big enough for sofas and dining sets!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: