Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-10-2010, 19:45   #166

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Well, this divestiture needs to be a lot like being a 'polar bear' swimmer for me. I know the thing to do is to put everything genuinely replaceable someday on Craigs List and sell it at prices that can't be ignored. That way, it walks out on it's own and I get to buy something I need as I outfit Seascape to leave before next October. Whatever else is true, I don't have the funds for prolonged storage fees. I'm sure I will need to store some things, since I have to vacate by month's end, but I can't think of any reason not to sell from the storage room until it's basically down to a few boxes. So weird though that I have no nearby family to beg a favor from and no friends who own houses where they might keep some things for me. Still, when I boil it all away, I've got a bed, an antique dresser, lots of tools in the garage and a sofa/settee in the living room. The rest really can go, I'm just chicken. Diving into January water.

Old 05-10-2010, 19:51   #167
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
You are far from chicken, the rest of the sheep are too busy living to work. You only ever learn to swim in the deep end of the pool...

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20   #168
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup, today I am convinced I am a very clever girl. Now I have a brainwave:

Take photos of everything. Put all the photos in a folder and label it "memories". Upload the folder to Dropbox or some other file storing system, so that if the boat sinks and you laptop drowns, you still have your memories.

Then, when you're cruising with your great great grandkids (presuming lifespan keeps on getting longer), you can log on and tell them fond stories about each picture. Like "This was my favourit book back in the days when we still had trees to make paper"; or "This was my first ever flat screen TV back in the days when movies were filmed in 2-D".

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:32   #169
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
Then, when you're cruising with your great great grandkids (presuming lifespan keeps on getting longer), you can log on and tell them fond stories about each picture. .

And they will say stuff like: You dressed like THAT?! You paid money for a bit of junk like that TV?

No. Fashions change, Kids don't. last years fashion to them is grotesque... Just flick up some 1970's photos now

Might be better to hide the evidence

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:10   #170

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
Yup, today I am convinced I am a very clever girl. Now I have a brainwave:

Take photos of everything. Put all the photos in a folder and label it "memories". Upload the folder to Dropbox or some other file storing system, so that if the boat sinks and you laptop drowns, you still have your memories.

Then, when you're cruising with your great great grandkids (presuming lifespan keeps on getting longer), you can log on and tell them fond stories about each picture. Like "This was my favourit book back in the days when we still had trees to make paper"; or "This was my first ever flat screen TV back in the days when movies were filmed in 2-D".
Ah, you so clever.
Old 06-10-2010, 21:50   #171

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Well, I'm not on a boat, (yet) but I have downsized recently. The military moved me to Germany last year and they limited to how much stuff I could take. I had two cars and gave the older one to a one car family that really needed it. Most of the living room furniture and a set of desks was donated to a family that didn't have much and I threw a lot of stuff out. I was able to get some things into a storage unit. When I sold my house, I had a buyer within a week. I told the guy "whatever is left is yours". Turned out to be most of the stuff from the garage (tools, shelves, lawn mower, weed eater, etc), Washer/Dryer, and all the appliances in the kitchen. I'm well on my way to having nothing!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 14:42   #172

Boat: Downeast Flybridge - 45 Grace
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
There should be a support group for this. Boat shedders anonymous. We are going through the same thing right now, but at the beginning stages. It is really stressing Gretchen out. Any words of encouragement for her would be most appriciated.

Chris

OMG...You are so right. Taking vacation next week and guess what I am doing. Cleaning out the attic, garage and closet. Garage sale! Giving away stuff we don't need. Becoming full LA early 2011. Hate clutter! Just taking with us what we absolutelly need. So you are guys not alone!
Old 08-10-2010, 14:49   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
When I cleaned my attic out, I hired a large skip. Having threatened all the neighbours with assorted mayhem if they filled the skip up them selves, I emptied my attic completely onto the front lawn. What was not to be heaved immidiately went into the garage for re-consideration for the next skip load, the rest filled up the skip nicely job done.

I will have a few things I will store - some rather loveley crystal and bone china, and some paintings mainly.
Old 08-10-2010, 19:15   #174

Boat: Maxi 77
I didn´t down size.. Just told the soon-to-be-ex to take what she wanted, then put the crap on a trailer and headed to the scrap yard. Only thing I spared was my fishing gear and the car.. along with a a pair of decent trousers and a few t-shirts... what the heck, the shops has to make a living too ya know
Old 08-10-2010, 19:38   #175

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
All you guy and gals must have junk for stuff....my stuff is valuable I tell ya!...I mean ...if I wasent married I move all ths aboard..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_3697.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	19913  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25   #176
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
All you guy and gals must have junk for stuff....my stuff is valuable I tell ya!...I mean ...if I wasent married I move all ths aboard..
Yup. And luckily you already have the photo to show the great great grandkids. I'm sure they will be overawed by the awesomeness of your 'memorabilia' !!!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
All you guy and gals must have junk for stuff....my stuff is valuable ...
As it was told to me:
"My stuff is stuff. Your stuff is junk."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:39   #178

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
There should be a support group for this. Boat shedders anonymous. We are going through the same thing right now, but at the beginning stages. It is really stressing Gretchen out. Any words of encouragement for her would be most appriciated.

Chris
Stressed out?!? Who's stressed out??? I am cooler than a brain surgeon in a 14 hour surgery, and we are only five days from listing the house Talked to a friend today and she said in this economy I should be extra careful that I put things of value away so they don't walk off during the tour of our house this w/e....I told her I could only wish, and that maybe I should advertise that everyone gets a gift for coming to see the house - My attitude has sure changed over the last year!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:17   #179
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Cool Hand Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Stressed out?!? Who's stressed out??? I am cooler than a brain surgeon in a 14 hour surgery, and we are only five days from listing the house Talked to a friend today and she said in this economy I should be extra careful that I put things of value away so they don't walk off during the tour of our house this w/e....I told her I could only wish, and that maybe I should advertise that everyone gets a gift for coming to see the house - My attitude has sure changed over the last year!
Old 11-10-2010, 16:42   #180

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
....I told her I could only wish
LOL! Love the free gift idea also.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: