Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-06-2016, 10:59   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: How critical is 4 inches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaNinjaB View Post
Thanks for all of the replies!! It took me a little while to decide to look around more, and it was the advice on this forum that pushed me over. So I will keep looking, I know we will find the right boat! its just a matter of time and patience.
Great decision.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:13   #47

Boat: Irwin 38 Mk II CC 38'
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaNinjaB View Post
Thanks for all of the replies!! It took me a little while to decide to look around more, and it was the advice on this forum that pushed me over. So I will keep looking, I know we will find the right boat! its just a matter of time and patience.
Keep in mind the old saying, "you may have to kiss a few frogs..." Happy hunting. From experience I can say I was all in on another boat with paperwork issues... I found my "Sea Castle" instead.

Old 08-06-2016, 14:20   #48

Boat: Duncanson 37

I'm 5'6 and have 6'2 headroom I often meet people on dock looking for a yachts with over 6ft head room as they are taller than 6ft. I don't have any awnser for them. I always try to pick the extra leg room on aircraft flights!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-06-2016, 17:44   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I know the OP has taken the advice of many and decided to look for more headroom, but I feel a need to comment that it's not really much of an issue for some people.

My first live aboard boat was with a 5'10" headroom and I'm 6'3". The idea of needing a helmet or continuing to bash your head is totally wrong. Any lab rat learns to avoid pain with a few repetitions,- humans learn even quicker than rats! People with limited headroom do not continue to bang their heads! Even 42 years after living on the boat with the 5'10" headroom, I can replicate the needed slouch!

This slouch was necessary when dressing, brushing teeth, washing dishes and moving to new locations while below.

Sure, 'all else the same, I would choose adequate headroom, but the 5'10" height that was 5 inches shorter than me did not diminish the joy of my first liveaboard sailboat!
Old 08-06-2016, 18:46   #50

Boat: Irwin 38 Mk II CC 38'
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I know the OP has taken the advice of many and decided to look for more headroom, but I feel a need to comment that it's not really much of an issue for some people.

My first live aboard boat was with a 5'10" headroom and I'm 6'3". The idea of needing a helmet or continuing to bash your head is totally wrong. Any lab rat learns to avoid pain with a few repetitions,- humans learn even quicker than rats! People with limited headroom do not continue to bang their heads! Even 42 years after living on the boat with the 5'10" headroom, I can replicate the needed slouch!

This slouch was necessary when dressing, brushing teeth, washing dishes and moving to new locations while below.

Sure, 'all else the same, I would choose adequate headroom, but the 5'10" height that was 5 inches shorter than me did not diminish the joy of my first liveaboard sailboat!
HF are you callin me a lab rat? Or worse?

I'm of MENSA intellect but often fail in my haste to duck, back up or use more care to protect myself. The result is broken skin on the backs of my hands, my cranium ... Not to mention the broken bolts and such from too much force. We may learn our environment but the limited exposure and limited repetition of lab rat environment isn't quite a fair analogy IMHO. One also must consider others who are guests in our vessels and who may not be familiar.

Where's the cheese?
Old 08-06-2016, 18:55   #51

Who's a slouch?!?

On our Catalina 25, which we had for 13 years before we bought this boat in 1998, we "grew" what is called, affectionately, the C25 SLOUCH.

Everyone who has ever owned this boat knows it.

We had a poptop, so when the hook went down, the overhead went UP!

For the first few years we had the new boat, I still had the slouch!

That emoticon is perfect:

It literally took me two years to get comfortable actually standing up when I was down below. I fondly remember the year 2000 as my freedom.

My back has thanked me ever since.

Not noted so far are the medical issues that could result from extended slouching.

Mom was right: don't slouch, junior! It's bad for your long term health. Really.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 16:09   #52
Captain - s.v. Lastly Liberty

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 25
Send a message via Skype™ to ThomasWeiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
On our Catalina 25, which we had for 13 years before we bought this boat in 1998, we "grew" what is called, affectionately, the C25 SLOUCH.

Everyone who has ever owned this boat knows it.

We had a poptop, so when the hook went down, the overhead went UP!

For the first few years we had the new boat, I still had the slouch!
I can attest to this! I'm only 5'8 and I still occasionally whack my head off of something onboard. I pretty much have the top up all the time except when I'm sailing or if leave the boat so it's not too bad. I still love my Catalina though - fast boat that handles great and is very well designed with space in mind.
Old 09-06-2016, 16:45   #53

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Here is a photo of a sailor whose boat lacks headroom, on the way to his boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	125863  

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: