Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2012, 12:34   #46

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
We don't pay 10%!

We rent our house in Milwaukee for $1395/month and pay $60/month management fees. The property manager explained that he charges less than 10% because he only works with properties that are very similar to ours (single family homes, good middle class neighborhoods, tenants with high monthly income), which is relatively hassle-free, as long as the screening is good. To us, paying the fee is TOTALLY worth it - he sends us an email every month, deposits the rent in our account electronically, and we don't have to worry about what's going on back in snowsville. (We're in the Bahamas now )
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:44   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: How Are You Renting Your House While Cruising ?

I have the same house/location you do. If I could find a deal like that, I'd jump on it. way to go!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 11:07   #48
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Know state laws regarding renter rights. My friends thought they did everything right, using a lawyer for the lease contract, but found they have no landlord rights under state law after the tenant sub-leased the home to someone who trashed it.
Old 23-03-2012, 02:39   #49

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

With the housing market being what it is now, I'm looking to rent my home out too. It will be paid off before I set off cruising. The income plan I have is to use 50% for myself, 50% to cover taxes, damage and misc. house expenses. Is this unrealistic ?
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:52   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I benefited from the Calif property tax freeze and didn't use a property manager, but my average net income was above 80% of the gross rent. I started with a house which was in 'owner-occupied' rather than 'slumlord' condition. Every 5 years or so I would come back and live in the house for 3 months and do maintenance and improvements, mostly DIY.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 11:04   #51

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Well, that sounds hopeful. I think that with SSI, two tiny retirement checks and rent, I should be able to cruise until the health thing eventually calls it to an end. It looks like just over $2000 a month...
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 15:24   #52

We've been living aboard & cruising > 1000 miles from 3 different rental properties, all professionally managed and I've NEVER regretted that. I'm cruising to enjoy myself & relax, not to accept 3 AM phone calls that the hot water heater isn't working ... Having a local property manager, who has a plumber, handyman, etc on staff is a better deal for the renters as well as for me.

Check out Vantage property mgt in Glen Burnie; they cover Annapolis and do an excellent job; PM me for more details.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:28   #53
cruiser

How Are You Renting Your House While Cruising ?

i do not have house, i have a flat.(london, uk) and it is empty for three months when i am cruising.

i do not know how they do in america, but if i have house here and wonted to rent it, i would bring people, they will give me a money or pay on my bank account. that is how i would rent my house
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, renting