Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 21:17   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post

RiverRat aka Kitty
I suspect there is a deep identity crisis going on here!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 21:37   #17

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
True!
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 01:25   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
HH, good luck with the sale

We have been on the UK market for 4 months and having accepted an offer we exchange contracts on Monday morning with an early November move date

We had to drop 12% from the Estate Agents original valuation to get buyers through the door which wiped out any possible profit from the last 6 years. The UK market is still fragile, with prices dropping and worse to come I fear, with big Government cut backs being announced this week. So I consider ourselves lucky to have found a buyer.

However, having accepted an offer it means we can now move on and downgrade to a lovely small newish town house 50 yards from the high street and 100 yards from the boat and water. Naturally we also knocked the asking price of the house we are buying so it's really swings and roundabouts.

I think the hard bit is constantly having to keep the house in tip top condition especially with 2 teenagers and 4 dogs, because you just don't know when the phone will ring and someone wants to visit. Our buyers came at 6pm on a Monday evening in the rain.

This is were we are going, master bedroom with balcony gets the sun each morning

So lots of positive vibes from across the pond.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 Pavilion Way 2.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	20245  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 05:48   #19

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Thank you all for your replies and support! It means a lot!

Dave, your post really hit home and reminded me what life is all about and to not hold out for that perfect offer. I have had my own days of knowing what it is like when your health is failing. I was very sick for six months, not functioning, and was not getting the proper diagnosis or treatment that I needed, which then meant it literally took me a year and a half of treatment to get better, and then a subsequent other year and a half to get my life back. I remember in those worst days, thinking someone could hand me a million dollars and it wouldn't matter...if you don't have your health, you have literally lost all resource.

It is amazing though after going through that hell how now that I have had two years of good health and great life, how soon I forget, and fall back on my old conditioning.

Being the daughter of a career realtor who was in the business close to forty years, it is tough to not look at real estate as investment and return, even in this economy. The first house Chris and I purchased way back when we bought for 135,000 and we sold it two years later to move for career advancement...we made a little money...but it sure hurt to realize it sold again four years ago for 450,000!

However, I cannot trade the experience and friends we met in New England after our move.

So, thanks for reminding me that as I tell my Mom frequently, "This is the game of 'LIFE' not 'Monopoly'" because it seems she was always purchasing investment property before the big fall....

Thank you all for the reminder that a boat can be a most glorious and graceful home!

Yesterday was slow. It is kind of sad that while everyone bi*&(#@ and moans about utility bills, that only three showed up on this "Green Home Tour" that was sponsored by the community college. It is encouraging however that one of the people was a student learning how to build homes equipped with sustainable energy features. So there is hope that soon the technology in our home may be the norm...

Take care everyone!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 06:11   #20

How's this going, HighHeels?

As the daughter of a career realtor, you probably know this already ... but fwiw, Mondinion.com, Free International Property Ads, Overseas Real Estate is getting excellent ratings in various rankings of international property portals. You can earn premium placement by getting people to click on your link there.

YMMV, NAYY and all that.
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 13:37   #21

Hi Aegean Drift...

It is S-L-O-W going on the home sale front...

Thanks so much for the link! I had not heard of this. I really appreciate you checking in and suggesting this.

Happy Holidays to You!
Old 22-12-2010, 13:40   #22

Oh, and Thanks Charlie for the St. Joseph info. We have done this too with our last home sale and we ended up closing on 'St. Joseph's Day'.

Right now I have him in the coffee pot. After the holidays I will transfer him to the yard with the correct protocol ;0)
Old 24-12-2010, 07:32   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41
Good luck with it HH. I hope all goes well.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 16:09   #24

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
How do I put a price on a circumnavigation that took eleven years with my family on board? What was that worth? A million dollars? A billion? What is it worth to see a thousand sunsets and sunrises while anchored in paradise? How do I put a price on living my dreams while I am still healthy and can enjoy them?

The accountant mentality is a curse and a dream stealer. It only looks at one side of the equation of life.

...I talk to my grown children every day about our adventures around the world. Where does that fit in the equation of life? What's that worth?

Beautiful stuff, Dave. Thank you.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 17:57   #25

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Wow! Learn something new every day. I gotta git me a St Joe. Was wondering why mine hasn't sold. Now I know. I thought it had something to do with the market in the state but it's probably just that no one knows the trick! Wonder if a snowbank will do as the ground is fozen and won't thaw till April.

Hope you have better luck than I've had for the past two years!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 18:08   #26

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
High Heels, I think we met at our local marina dock a year or so ago...not sure.

If your house is listed with a realtor, you might encourage them to promote your house on Trulia as well as realtor.com. Trulia is probably the #2 listing site after realtor.com, and allows your agent to pay a fee (about $35) for which he/she and your house will become the top hit for searches in your area on a rotating basis with other agents who have paid the fee as well.

My daughter is a realtor in Illinois and has had good success with this.

I am not a realtor and have no interest in Trulia. In this tough market, I thought it might help.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 19:41   #27

Conrad, we got the contract on our house in New England in December and there was a ton of snow on the ground...I put St. Joseph in our basement in that instance and it seemed to work just as well ;0)

Thanks Entlie! Yes, I remember meeting you. Thanks for the Trulia tip...our house is up there. It has been a good tool to not only get some exposure, but as well to track hits on people clicking on the listing and showing interest.

Just a crazy, slow time...a market that one hopes to only see once in a lifetime.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and support! Happy Holidays!
Old 24-12-2010, 19:50   #28

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Conrad, we got the contract on our house in New England in December and there was a ton of snow on the ground...I put St. Joseph in our basement in that instance and it seemed to work just as well ;0)
Thanks and happy holidays!

(now to find a statue!)
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 20:44   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
The very best of luck to you, High Heels!

Until the last few years my husband and I were probably the only people on the planet to actually LOSE money on real estate. Well,... NOW everyone is doing it!

I remember one time we accepted an offer below asking and told our agent 'we can take it now and get out or we can make the mortgage payments another few months and take it then.' [bold]We still had to bring money to closing. (Those were the day before it was socially acceptable to just walk away)[/bold] That house took another 5 years to get back to what we had paid for it. By then we were 5 years into better living.

So, get what you can for it, but don't get tooooo hung up on the money. And only you can determine how much is too much.

RiverRat aka Kitty
You can do that???? I had no idea? Why didnt i just cut a check for $150k and hand that and the keys over???
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 08:01   #30

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
My house is also on the market since February and the real estate outlook in Mexico City is not much better. I have reduced the price by 30 % so far and still no takers. I sympathise with you High Heels. Good luck. If you sell before me point that boat Mexico way and I will buy you a Margarita.

Thanks Aegean drift for posting that website. Exploring it as we speak.