Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 04:04   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Homeschooling on a boat

Our boy is in High School and we're using Florida Virtual Schools online. He loves it and if he worked a little harder he could probably finish High School in a total of 2 years. We use St Brendan's Isle for mail so we're Florida residents and it's free.
Additionally we all read a lot and we use everyday situations to teach, always have.
We don't always have internet but we usually do and FLVS will really work with us if he catches up again when we get good access.
Old 20-10-2013, 04:59   #17

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

How to tell if your homeschooling is successful...when your kids can do math problems, science and reading at a grade higher than what they are supposed to be at.

Mauritz
Knows everything about kids...that's why I never had any!
Old 20-10-2013, 05:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Our boy is in High School and we're using Florida Virtual Schools online. He loves it and if he worked a little harder he could probably finish High School in a total of 2 years. We use St Brendan's Isle for mail so we're Florida residents and it's free.
Additionally we all read a lot and we use everyday situations to teach, always have.
We don't always have internet but we usually do and FLVS will really work with us if he catches up again when we get good access.
I believe you're required to reside in FL to participate in this tax payer funded school. It's certainly not "free" property taxes on my properties to pay for it are due next month.....
Old 20-10-2013, 08:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I believe you're required to reside in FL to participate in this tax payer funded school. It's certainly not "free" property taxes on my properties to pay for it are due next month.....
You generally don't have to reside in a state to be a resident of that state. That's the beauty of America.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:15   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Homeschooling on a boat can work just fine, and we've read a number of success stories here.

However, we are unlikely to hear from the people for whom it didn't work well. This particular story is of land based home schooling, and involves a family member. The young man would not study arithmetic. Mom allowed him to fail. He wanted to go to auto mechanic school. Couldn't get in 'cause he couldn't pass the math test section of the test. Of course, had never experienced competitive examination, either. A year later, he has finally learned enough arithmetic to pass the test (third time) and has been accepted into a trade school. At least one of the children in the household would have been college bound if in regular schooling.

What I draw from this is that if the primary schooler (teacher) is disinteresteded in math or science, those subjects are unlikely to be presented in a way that will interest the child. What degree of damage, if indeed there is any, that accrues to the child will be difficult to evaluate for many years.
Old 20-10-2013, 11:16   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
You generally don't have to reside in a state to be a resident of that state. That's the beauty of America.
You have to be physically present. There are certain exemptions for military families. Rest assured the Clay county school board will be hearing from this tax payer.
Old 20-10-2013, 11:23   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Homeschooling on a boat can work just fine, and we've read a number of success stories here.

However, we are unlikely to hear from the people for whom it didn't work well. This particular story is of land based home schooling, and involves a family member. The young man would not study arithmetic. Mom allowed him to fail. He wanted to go to auto mechanic school. Couldn't get in 'cause he couldn't pass the math test section of the test. Of course, had never experienced competitive examination, either. A year later, he has finally learned enough arithmetic to pass the test (third time) and has been accepted into a trade school. At least one of the children in the household would have been college bound if in regular schooling.

What I draw from this is that if the primary schooler (teacher) is disinteresteded in math or science, those subjects are unlikely to be presented in a way that will interest the child. What degree of damage, if indeed there is any, that accrues to the child will be difficult to evaluate for many years.
Wait, I thought ALL homeschoolers get full rides to MIT or CAL Tech.

Except maybe those that only get taught the bible and creationism or can't read because there "unschooling" was so much fun.......

Seriously, as a parent I'm very concerned about all aspects of the next generation. Home schooling can be OK if a relatively standardized course is followed and students are meeting set milestones.

Sadly, roughly 1/2 the US homeschool parents are homeschooling on account of the teachers begin too liberal and brain washing children with communism. They believe there should be no standards at all set by the government. I again refer you to the lessons learned by Germany or for that matter Afghanistan on home grown extremism.
Old 20-10-2013, 12:04   #23

Quote:
You have to be physically present. There are certain exemptions for military families. Rest assured the Clay county school board will be hearing from this tax payer.
I am in Florida at this moment. I am here working and paying taxes. You don't know what you are talking about. I cruise part of the time and I work part of the time. You are acting rude and judgemental and you signify everything that's wrong with internet forums. I offered some helpful information and you attack me.
I'm in Jacksonville restoring a big paddle wheel boat, not far from St Augustine. Why don't you come on by and we can discuss your crappy attitude at length. I'm the big badass looking mother****er with a Mowhawk, a long goatee, and a few tattoos named Steve. Stop on by...
Old 20-10-2013, 12:12   #24

Quote:
I am in Florida at this moment. I am here working and paying taxes. You don't know what you are talking about. I cruise part of the time and I work part of the time. You are acting rude and judgemental and you signify everything that's wrong with internet forums. I offered some helpful information and you attack me. I'm in Jacksonville restoring a big paddle wheel boat, not far from St Augustine. Why don't you come on by and we can discuss your crappy attitude at length. I'm the big badass looking mother****er with a Mowhawk, a long goatee, and a few tattoos named Steve. Stop on by...
For the win
Old 20-10-2013, 12:15   #25

Quote:
You have to be physically present.
Nope. Sure don't. You need a FL DL and a voter registration card, that's it. That means you need an address in the state of Florida. There are absolutely ZERO physical requirements. It's a state, not a sovereign country.
Old 20-10-2013, 12:47   #26
Marine Service Provider

Mate, this relates to children attending school not seeking state tax haven status.

The child needs to needs to be PRESENT in the county enrolled. We're not looking to school anyone that parent has a FL drivers license.
Old 20-10-2013, 12:49   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I am in Florida at this moment. I am here working and paying taxes. You don't know what you are talking about. I cruise part of the time and I work part of the time. You are acting rude and judgemental and you signify everything that's wrong with internet forums. I offered some helpful information and you attack me.
I'm in Jacksonville restoring a big paddle wheel boat, not far from St Augustine. Why don't you come on by and we can discuss your crappy attitude at length. I'm the big badass looking mother****er with a Mowhawk, a long goatee, and a few tattoos named Steve. Stop on by...
That cred might go along way with the Clay county school board, hard to say.
Old 20-10-2013, 13:04   #28

OOHH! Please don't sent the School Board after me, I'm so afraid.
Old 20-10-2013, 13:14   #29

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

LOL, why is it that homeschool conversations become so heated? If anyone takes the time to look at the current ranking of the USA vs the rest of the leading countries you would understand why there is an increase in homeschools. We as a country no longer take the time to change the way the country thinks because we are self absorbed. To actually make a change in the system would take too much of the normal citizens time. It can be compared to community sports leagues. Every one wants to complain about the coaching but no one steps up to take over.

We have an excellent example in what works with Finland.

W
Old 20-10-2013, 13:53   #30

Quote:
Mate, this relates to children attending school not seeking state tax haven status. The child needs to needs to be PRESENT in the county enrolled. We're not looking to school anyone that parent has a FL drivers license.
Children are residents of the state that their parents are residents of. My point was that FL has no physical residency requirements so a parents could be a resident of Florida and live anywhere and their child gets the same courtesies.

I'm still not sure what you're so belligerent about.

Tags
school