Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-04-2013, 23:13   #31

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: homeless liveaboards and snailmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Well Florida appears to be somewhat tougher on their voting laws.....

Requirements:
Be a U.S. Citizen
Be 18 years or so old
Have a description of where you've lived(like a barn or overpass that shows you've been in Florida the past 30 days)
Have no mailing address
have no Social Security number
If you haven't actually lived in the place where you say you've lived (for the past 30 days), it's voter fraud and a felony.

This is actually really, really important. Otherwise, you'd have huge campaigns of students showing up in states with a certain political leaning, claiming domicile right before an election, and swinging elections a certain way.

Your state for voting purposes is always the last state in which you were registered to vote, until you establish eligibility in a new state. You could do that just by being present there with your boat, even if you are living off the hook in territorial waters -- but you have to *intend* to have established a domicile there. Domicility (for voting and a host of other purposes, but *not* for the purposes of taxation) is based a great deal on intent. This is part of why a student at an out-of-state University is generally permitted to vote in their state of origin, and do not have to vote in the state where they are in school.

For taxation, presence is the biggest arbiter. I work in a profession where most people travel 250+ days a year (I did ~280 nights in hotels in 2011 and ~250 in 2012). Some of us live in TX, FL, or WA -- no state income tax. But you can bet that if the State of California finds out that one of us was present in CA for more than 180 days, they go after us to tax our entire salary (as opposed to just, pro rata, the days we are present in California). Colleagues of mine have had to submit airline tickets / receipts to the CA tax board to show that they weren't in CA for the majority of the year.

Old 17-04-2013, 06:41   #32

Well, apparently it varies from bank to bank. The last time I opened an account my bank required proof of my residential address. Here is some information on this from here:

Quote:
4. Information Required to Open an Account:
Proving You Are You

The CIP Rules establish the minimum identification information a financial institution must collect from you before opening a new account. Beyond this, financial institutions have flexibility to adopt CIP procedures appropriate to the business operations of each.

Four data items are required for all new accounts. These are:

Name.
Date of birth (for an individual).
Address.
Identification number.
May I use a Post Office box number as my address?

The CIP Rule requires a physical address. Either a home or business address will do. The only exception is for Army Post Office boxes (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO). The home or business address of a next of kin or other contact individual is also acceptable. There is nothing to say, however, that you can’t supply a physical address and ask the bank to use another mailing address such as a post office box.

Does the CIP Rule allow me to use a commercial mailbox? I’m worried about identity theft.

Apparently this is not allowed as the only address for new accounts opened after October 1, 2003. Consumer and privacy advocates have long recommended a commercial or U.S. Post Office box as a safe alternative to an unsecured home mailbox. This point was also made in comments to the Agencies. However, the final CIP Rule retains the requirement that every new account be tied to a physical address.

A physical address is required, the Agencies say, because “…law enforcement agencies should be able to contact an individual customer at a physical location, rather than solely through a mailing address.” For customers concerned about identity theft, a better solution would have been for the Agencies to allow the financial institution to assess the necessity of obtaining a physical address.

Again, there is nothing that says your bank cannot collect a physical address, but mail your statements and other correspondence to a commercial mailbox. The CIP neither requires nor encourages a separate mailing address. A bank that is alert to its customers’ concerns about identity theft should have no objection to a separate mailing address.

Old 17-04-2013, 06:48   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

last time i did this, one had to achieve a mailing/physical address for bank statements, then a bank account then.......
i use downwind marine. they hold mail for some of us--even send items down baja for us , via some other cruisers heading in the same direction.

i still get real estate folks asking if i want to sell my house at downwind marine's address..lol--good thing they send it to downwind marine..lol they sort out the junk mail.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 09:48   #34

Each bank has latitude to interpret CIP somewhat differently. The rules (31 CFR 103.121) specify that banks must verify identity and that customers must provide an address, but there is nothing that says that the address needs to be proven provided that the bank can form a reasonable belief about the identity of a customer (a US Passport is almost always good enough to meet this standard; a driver's license with address should rarely be required unless the bank's CIP implementation is particularly asinine).

That said, the regs demand that banks collect an address from the customer. That address must be a residential or business street address, but "for an individual who does not have a residential or business street address . . . the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual" (31 CFR 103.121(b)(2)(i)(A)(i)) (emphasis added).

This could mean basically anyone, anywhere.

I've come across CIP a few times before, in a few different contexts (including back in law school) -- but here's a great FAQ I found for banks: http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/...nalciprule.pdf (see page 5)
Old 17-04-2013, 11:06   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

alll the fine print i read ever said was that i essentially had to be able to receive usps deliveries of snail mail...so what is the problem with using a mail drop locale for your address..is accepted, and they are written as an address for an apartment. is that a difficult thing to do --not that i ever found. i been doing this since 1990, and out and about since 2011 on a permanent basis, and since 2008 on a occasional to frequent basis.

there are ways to live within the absolute law and still be outlawish. just read the fine print.
everything in life has fine print.
Old 17-04-2013, 11:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
alll the fine print i read ever said was that i essentially had to be able to receive usps deliveries of snail mail...so what is the problem with using a mail drop locale for your address..is accepted, and they are written as an address for an apartment. is that a difficult thing to do --not that i ever found. i been doing this since 1990, and out and about since 2011 on a permanent basis, and since 2008 on a occasional to frequent basis.

there are ways to live within the absolute law and still be outlawish. just read the fine print.
everything in life has fine print.
This used to be the case, but it changed with the Patriot Act and CIP. Basically, the bank is supposed to collect enough information to physically locate you if you need to be found by law enforcement (why a PO box isn't acceptable). The law assumes that your next of kin or your designated contact person will know where to find you, or where you can likely be found, last known whereabouts, etc.
Old 17-04-2013, 11:34   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

time to sail out....follow me--i did already
Old 24-04-2013, 10:06   #38

Boat: 1968 Pacemaker 44'.

I hadn't seen this addressed, so I thought I would add our situation.
Quote:
Except in Ukraine. You must register a place of residence with government ( if you live there ). Must be apartment or house, a boat doesn't count.
The Federal Government considers our boat as a home. Our Census comes right to our boat at the Marina, not our old PO Box. It actually said "Boat" in our address.
We used our Marina's address to open our PO Box and our bank account.
NY did consider us transients for a while.

I went to the Postmaster General and requested a mail box address after a few years.
He called the 911 center for us, so I went there with ID and they assigned us a mailbox address, with the Marina's address, and slip #39 as our physical address.
Then we put up a mail box.
Hope this helps.
Old 24-04-2013, 16:13   #39

Quote:
I went to the Postmaster General and requested a mail box address after a few years.
He called the 911 center for us, so I went there with ID and they assigned us a mailbox address, with the Marina's address, and slip #39 as our physical address.
Then we put up a mail box.
What state was that in? Even if it does work, it won't help someone who is cruising and doesn't have a fixed address.
Old 24-04-2013, 16:19   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm sure Skipper68 will correct me it I'm wrong, but I think I know him from more than this site. I believe he's on one of the "Finger Lakes" in NY and he has some awesome shoreside projects as well as the boat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: