Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2013, 22:17   #16

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: homeless liveaboards and snailmail

We can handle almost everything via internet. If snail-mail is required, we have it sent general delivery to the nearest post office or marina at our location.

Old 05-04-2013, 22:25   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Another vote for 411 Walnut St. Green Cove Springs, Fl. 32043
They're way more dependable than any of my relatives.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Just to clarify...having mail sent to st brendens in Florida does not make you a Fl resident. You will need to go there and change your domicile. St brendens will give you some guidance if you ask. Process takes a few hours, local green cove springs govt is easy
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03   #19
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Another interesting did-bit about Florida Domicile, and Homestead Exemptions.....

About 5 years ago, Florida linked all their databases; Driver's License, Taxes, Professional Licenses etc. I had never bothered to change my Driver's License from the boat in Key West to Sarasota when I bought property there, nor did I bother to change my Paramedic License, Contractor License, CWF License etc. One day in the mail I get a notice canceling my homestead exemption on my Sarasota property. I went to the tax officials to plead my case; they wouldn't budge until ALL my Florida Creds said Sarasota.

Full time cruisers probably don't have that problem because even if they still owned a shore side home, they couldn't claim it as homestead. But part-timers beware!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46   #20

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

"need to go there and change your domicile" . . . sure, if you want to be considered "from Florida", or to vote in "Florida", or to get welfare "from Florida", or get the tax breaks "in Florida" . . . but NOT for the purpose of "legally", planting your feet in concrete.

In the late 60's and 70's this was some of the kinds of propaganda we heard about how much of a police state the U.S.S.R. was . . . even to the point you had to inform the all-seeing government as to where you were moving to.

Aside from the real need(?) to to get mail, documents and such, the idea that one MUST declare a state of residence AND even beyond that, document in official documents, their state(and even city?), of residence is un-American.

Obviously someone who lives in "no" state should pay state taxes from whichever state any monies originate from . . . taxable retirements too. Federal taxes too, unless an exemption exists.

Voting... well for STATE voting, you need to have a domicile, for county and city voting . . . you need a domicile . . . for FEDERAL voting, for FEDERAL officials, you DO NOT need a domicile, but you need to be otherwise eligible for voting.

If you license your boat in a state, you pay certain fees to that state even if you don't live there.

Since only STATES issue driver's licenses, you have to belong to a state to get a driver's license and I think one needs an address of some sort for this.

Many rich people have multiple residences in multiple states and often pick and choose which state they choose to domicile in for voting.

Personally, I find this arrogant, a compression of human expression and a loss of personal freedom for someone who wants to live a truly nomad life.

I favor Uncle Fred having been a citizen of America with no money and nowhere to hang his hat to call home . . . and no forwarding address . . . in fact . . . no address at all . . . riding everywhere on a bicycle almost up to the day he died.

He was born in Ohio, so I suppose, like it or leave, he was always an Ohioan.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05   #21

You can like it or not, but you have a domicile in one state or another. Your domicile doesn't change until you make a concerted effort to change it. Tell us where and how you can vote in federal elections without registering to vote in some state--I don't believe it is possible.

In any case, most cruisers I have met want to have a driver's license and want to be able to vote, so they choose an appropriate state and make that their new domicile, or they just keep their current domicile.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:11   #22

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjpinz View Post
I would like to here from others what they have done.
We have been using St Brendan's Isle (SBI) for 3.5 years. SBI was founded by cruisers and is now run by their daughter and son-in-law.

When I retired in California, I switched residency to Florida. SBI made this process easy, by providing the necessary documents and filing it with the County Clerk. Later, we flew to Green Cove Springs and obtained Drivers Licenses and Registered to Vote in about 30 minutes from start to finish.

We use our SBI address for our boat documentation, bills and anything else that requires a physical address.

Advantages of SBI are being able to see your mail in PDF within 24 hrs after asking to have it scanned, having it forwarded to you, if needed, and not having to rely on someoe to pick it up for you.

The scanning part eliminates 99% of the mail you would have normally had to have forwarded to you, which in some places is flat out expensive!

SBI will also act as your agent and sign the USCG Documentation card every year and return it. This helps greatly when you are in foreign places.

I know you didn't ask, but for US Phone number we use SKYPE, who will assign you a telepone number with any area code you wish and give you voicemail and call forwarding. This works great for credit cards and banks.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42   #23

You Don’t Need a Home to Vote – Voting Rights: Registration Manual

A descriptive address or shelter
B a mailing address(not a domiciled adddress)

Y Y Alabama
Y N Alaska
Y Y Arizona
Y Y Arkansas
Y Y California
Y Y Colorado
Y N Connecticut
Y N Delaware
Y N Florida
Y N Georgia
Y Y Hawaii
Y N Idaho
Y Y Illinois
Y Y Indiana
Y N Iowa
Y Y Kansas
Y Y Kentucky
Y Y Louisiana
Y Y Maine
Y Y Maryland
Y Y Massachusetts
Y Y Michigan
Y Y Minnesota
Y Y Mississippi
Y Y Missouri
Y Y Montana
Y Y Nebraska
Y Y Nevada
Y Y New Hampshire
Y N New Jersey
Y Y New Mexico
Y Y New York
Y Y North Carolina
Y X North Dakota
Y Y Ohio
Y Y Oklahoma
Y Y Oregon
Y Y Pennsylvania
Y Y Puerto Rico
Y Y Rhode Island
Y Y South Carolina
Y Y South Dakota
Y Y Tennessee
Y Y Texas
Y Y Utah
Y N Vermont
Y Y Virginia
Y Y Washington
Y Y Washington, D.C.
Y N West Virginia
Y N Wisconsin
Y Y Wyoming

Sources: National Conference of State Legislatures
(2012), Absentee and Early Voting and National Law Center

According to this, each and every state requires a stated presence within the state at that time . That presence is not required to be permanent in any way and isn't a declaration of domicile in any traditional manner.

Requirements for an address are for voting mailings and generally are allowed to be a church, a friend's house, a relative or whatever . . . again not an actual domicile.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:53   #24

Yes, but you have to register to vote in the state you want to vote in, and they all have different requirements. You can't just show up on election day and say I want to vote. I'm not sure what you arguing. Here is what Florida says about it:

Voter Registration - Click on question to reveal answer.Back
Quote:
Who can register to vote?
In order to register to vote, a person must:
Be a citizen of the United States of America (a lawful permanent resident is not a U.S. citizen for registration and voting purposes);
Be a Florida resident;
Be 18 years old (you may preregister if you are 16 years old);
Not now be adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting in Florida or any other state without having had your voting rights restored;
Not have been convicted of a felony in Florida, or any other state, without your civil rights having been restored;
Provide your current and valid Florida driver's license number or Florida identification card number. If you do not have a current and valid Florida driver’s license number or Florida identification card, you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have a FL DL#, FL ID card#, or SSN, write “NONE” in the box provided on the voter registration application.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20   #25

Here are some of the better definitions of "residence" and "domicile" I have found.
Old 06-04-2013, 13:57   #26

Well Florida appears to be somewhat tougher on their voting laws.....

Requirements:
Be a U.S. Citizen
Be 18 years or so old
Have a description of where you've lived(like a barn or overpass that shows you've been in Florida the past 30 days)
Have no mailing address
have no Social Security number
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58   #27

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC

Thanks for all your input. This will be very helpful.

Bob and Mona
s/v Continuum
Old 08-04-2013, 09:43   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Likely not relevant to most, but.....

I am aware that many US banks are somewhat relaxed (lax?!) about Customers using an address that is not actually their physical residential address, elsewhere things are nowadays not quite so relaxed (mostly courtesy of US demands - oh, the irony) - and that applies even if your address of conveniance does not have a PO box number. How would a bank know? Well, Mr Google for a start!, but first they need an enquiring mind. The good news is that unless you appear on the radar likely no one with half a brain will start enquiring, but the reasons for appearing on the radar can often look like someone wondering around the world aimlessly.......

I mention it mainly so folks who do use non US banks (or are planning to) do not accidently overly confuse anyone with too many facts.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:02   #29

Quote:
I mention it mainly so folks who do use non US banks (or are planning to) do not accidently overly confuse anyone with too many facts.
Unfortunately, the days are over for any sort of privacy. In the USA banks are required to verify your actual street address, though specifically how they are to do so is not clear cut in the law. Some banks are diligent about this to the point that it is very hard for say a homeless person to get a bank account without a sworn statement, probably notarized, from a homeless shelter that it is where they reside. I have had mail order companies refuse to send me things because I am traveling on my boat and when they run my address they determine it isn't my home address. I did this myself on someone who was placing a large order from a company I worked for recently. The address he gave was a UPS store and we did not ship it to him, and we never heard from him again. It is very easy to run addresses now--the government knows all, for good or for bad.
Old 14-04-2013, 23:04   #30

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Unfortunately, the days are over for any sort of privacy. In the USA banks are required to verify your actual street address, though specifically how they are to do so is not clear cut in the law. Some banks are diligent about this to the point that it is very hard for say a homeless person to get a bank account without a sworn statement, probably notarized, from a homeless shelter that it is where they reside. I have had mail order companies refuse to send me things because I am traveling on my boat and when they run my address they determine it isn't my home address. I did this myself on someone who was placing a large order from a company I worked for recently. The address he gave was a UPS store and we did not ship it to him, and we never heard from him again. It is very easy to run addresses now--the government knows all, for good or for bad.
Not true. They're only required to verify your identity for AML (anti money-laundering). I usually get around this by insisting on use of a passport, not a driver's license. A US Passport requires no street address, and is incredibly handy as ID in lieu of a license.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: