Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 16:33   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The good news is you don't have to stay there if you don't like it.
Everywhere doesn't need to be a CostaBaja or a CostaBaja wannabe.
That's true but there should a lot of room between CostaLotta and bums with "boats" that will never leave the bay again.

Make the boats leave the bay and come back once a year. Would clean this place up in a jiffy.

Making it so that operational vessels need to work to accommodate derelicts is crazy.
Old 23-05-2013, 16:36   #242
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Hobos Afloat

i agree whole heartedly with those who concur that fla has all kinds of hidey holes and safe places for free anchoring and enjoyment of nature. i have seen and visited many on the west coast of fla, including in tampa bay. is a lovely area to cruise.
Old 23-05-2013, 17:11   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Making it so that operational vessels need to work to accommodate derelicts is crazy.
Sort of depends on who anchored there first. Reminds me of people building big homes in the country, then complaining that the cow poop on the 100 year old farm next door stinks.

Not saying the Derelicts aren't a problem. But choosing to anchor near a derelict and then saying the derelict needs to go, well its sort of like building a house next to a manure factory. Why go there?

Mexico is liked by folks for its easy laid back lifestyle. We really don't want mexico and baja turned into another San Diego (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Odds are when the derelict first got there it was not a derelict. We are all just a few years and an unfortunate circumstance from being a derelict.

Life happens. Best to enjoy it anyway.
Old 23-05-2013, 17:11   #244

Boat: O'Day 28

I heard FL was changing its motto to the Nook and Cranny State because of the bazillions of little hidey holes to anchor in. Who could possibly think otherwise?

Old 23-05-2013, 18:06   #245

"Entitlements" are really earned benefits. When will the "makers" stop trying to persecute those of us who earned them?

Ever notice that when the "makers" are in charge, things get worse and the alleged "takers" have to fix their damage, that there are more folks down & out?

The 1%, on land or on the water, should be ashamed, but that'll never happen.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 23-05-2013, 18:31   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Sort of depends on who anchored there first. Reminds me of people building big homes in the country, then complaining that the cow poop on the 100 year old farm next door stinks.

Not saying the Derelicts aren't a problem. But choosing to anchor near a derelict and then saying the derelict needs to go, well its sort of like building a house next to a manure factory. Why go there?

Mexico is liked by folks for its easy laid back lifestyle. We really don't want mexico and baja turned into another San Diego (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Odds are when the derelict first got there it was not a derelict. We are all just a few years and an unfortunate circumstance from being a derelict.
So I park a hunk of crap boat in a beautiful tight cove, walk away from it, and now you can't anchor there because I got their first?

And no, my boat is not close to being a derelict. If some horrible chain of events transpired where I couldn't get to the boat ever again I'd list it and sell it for peanuts if need be. It's what separates bums from hard workers with a brain.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:34   #247
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
"Entitlements" are really earned benefits. When will the "makers" stop trying to persecute those of us who earned them?

Ever notice that when the "makers" are in charge, things get worse and the alleged "takers" have to fix their damage, that there are more folks down & out?

The 1%, on land or on the water, should be ashamed, but that'll never happen.
100% Total rubbish. I live in an intercity neighborhood populated with several thousand deadbeats who haven't worked a day in their lives... Unless you count working the system. Next door on all four sides of us are section 8 Apartment housing units along with 5 methadone clinics... You can't believe the daily crap I have to put up with in order to go cruising 6 months of the year. We live right in the middle of this s%#t, and see it first hand.... another murder 200 yards away just last week.

For most of the entitled around here, their daily work consists of having to drag their sorry ass off the couch at the crack of 3pm to head down to the liquor store to buy a 24 pack of Beer with their EBT government welfare card, then take a cab home to sit on front of their 72 inch TV for the remainder of the day.

You're right... I don't feel ashamed. But the real problem is... Neither do they.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:38   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
100% Total rubbish. I live in an intercity neighborhood populated with several thousand deadbeats who haven't worked a day in their lives... Unless you count working the system. Next door on all four sides of us are section 8 housing units along with 5 methadone clinics... You can't believe the daily crap I have to put up with in order to go cruising 6 months of the year.

For most of the entitled around here, their daily work consists of having to drag their sorry ass off the couch at the crack of 3pm to head down to the liquor store to buy a 24 pack of Beer with their EBT card, then take a cab home to sit on front of their 80 inch TV for the remainder of the day.

You're right... i don't feel ashamed. But the real problem is... Neither do they.
Shoot, sorry to hear about your plight.

Given your six month onland issues, have you ever considered moving onto your boat. I'm guessing your complaint index would go WAY down.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 23-05-2013, 18:39   #249
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Maybe you should move if you dislike your neighbors so much?

also, I'm no expert on this, but I believe most states have sometimg like a 4 year limit on welfare benefits so they must be doing sometime else altleast part-time.

No doubt the corporations will figure how to replace us all shortly.
Old 23-05-2013, 18:48   #250
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

"Nooks and Crannies"! Nancie and I left our ketch Aythya in Charleston, SC last week to fly out to San Francisco for a drive up to Crescent City and back, surveying the North California Coast. I could not be comfortable sailing such a harsh, rock strewn, incessantly windy coast. Even large rivers like the Klamath have totally unnavigatable entries into the pacific with a little trickle over a sand bar! I'll keep my "Pansy" coastal cruising to the East Coast of the USA with easy daytrips offshore and comfortable anchorages in quiet coves before sundown. I have comfortable sevure anchorages in Florida within a 35 mile distance around the full coast of Florida except for the run across the "Big Bend" from Cedar Key to Saint Marks.

Nancie and I parked at North Point on the south end of the Golden Gate today and got some great photos of the Oracle lifting a hull and once again practicing after the sorrowful loss of a crewmember,- What a Thrill!
Old 23-05-2013, 18:52   #251
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Maybe you should move if you dislike your neighbors so much?

also, I'm no expert on this, but I believe most states have sometimg like a 4 year limit on welfare benefits so they must be doing sometime else altleast part-time..
We were here first, so We're not moving. I own an office building which provides the income needed to go cruising.... The wacked out state government apparently doesn't limit the time a deadbeat can be on welfare benefits. Most of them here collect on several different names at the same time anyway. How do I know this you might ask? The mailman told me, he said in many, many cases there are four different names on the mailboxes for the same person.

You're correct about the part-time work... While the "baby moma" is home with the anchor kid, the boyfriend sometimes sells crack, weed or oxy on the side for some extra cash.
Old 23-05-2013, 19:00   #252
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

FYI the federal limit is 60 months thanks to Clinton.
Old 23-05-2013, 19:08   #253

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Hobos Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
"Nooks and Crannies"!... I'll keep my "Pansy" coastal cruising to the East Coast of the USA with easy daytrips offshore and comfortable anchorages in quiet coves before sundown. I have comfortable sevure anchorages in Florida within a 35 mile distance around the full coast of Florida except for the run across the "Big Bend" from Cedar Key to Saint Marks. ...
On paper charts too, I'd think. With annotations.
Old 23-05-2013, 19:55   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
So I park a hunk of crap boat in a beautiful tight cove, walk away from it, and now you can't anchor there because I got their first?
Gee even if you parked a nice boat in a small cove, I'd go elsewhere. I have pulled up anchor and moved elsewhere, even when a few nice boats drop hook nearby. Too many other anchorages that are not crowded.

Oh agreed that boats that are abandoned should be hauled and disposed of. Like so many buildings abandoned on land in baja, there are some boats that the owner is either dead, in jail, or left the country. Life happens.
Old 23-05-2013, 19:56   #255
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I really haven't found that to be the case if you are cruising--in other words, moving on after a few days. My chartbook lists 88 anchorages between the Georgia border and Miami alone, and many of those have multiple locations within. There are literally hundreds of other places to anchor within the same area that are not mentioned because I only list anchorages I know personally. Florida's west coast is blessed with many fine anchorages, though St. Pete has recently reduced its possibilities significantly. At Ft. Myers Beach most of the good anchorage has been covered with moorings unless you are shallow draft. Sarasota is about to install more moorings, but from what I hear there is still plenty of anchoring room. But, close to all of these places are very nice anchorages. If you are looking for long-term anchoring your choices might be somewhat more limited, but as you say there are several good mooring fields for long-termers.

Why would the anchoirages you talk about be unsuitable for long-term use? Are you thinking of anchorages close to usable facilities?

Gulfport will be aking two huge changes. First of all they're going to revamp the Gulfport Municipal Marina and make it a live-aboard friendly marina (has the Earth reversed its course? They were so opposed to live-aboards for so many years!) Second, they're putting in a mooring field outside the marina. That's going to cause some distress because people have been using that area for free, for years. It's exposed to the southwest, of couse the direction many storms come from but except for that it's a good anchorage.
Closed Thread