Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 18:09   #226

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: Hobos Afloat

Kettlewell,

Thanks for the invitation, but unfortunately I have a reptilian need to be in warm places. Too bad the sailing season on the eastern seaboard is so brief, and exposure to severe weather - whether in winter to freezing temps or summer to 'canes. I'd gladly take you up on the suggestion.

I'm in Orange because my view is it's safer than Galveston. My boat survived Rita in 2005 because I found a good hurricane hole here and will use if threatened by a 'cane again. Was reminded 'canes are not the only significant weather hazard in this region last night when the lightning and thunder began about 03:00. Moved to a marina that can hardly be accurately called a marina. So now I and my boat are safe tied to a jetty - far from services. Longer bike ride, but no complaint. Safe.

armido
Old 22-05-2013, 18:47   #227
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's why I gave up prospecting in the Hindu Kush...
everyone called me a bum.

I hate it when that happens!
Old 22-05-2013, 18:49   #228
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Come on over to the East Coast. Except for a handful of places in Florida, there are thousands of sheltered towns you can anchor off of and access shore for free. I have sailed from Maine to Florida and back numerous times, and I almost never stay in a marina. Sure, there are some harbors that are crowded and anchorage space is limited, but very few without someplace you can drop the hook.

Florida has it easy for making anchoring hard because of the nature of its coastline. It doesn't have lots of accessible nooks and crannies where you can safely anchor.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:24   #229

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Florida has it easy for making anchoring hard because of the nature of its coastline. It doesn't have lots of accessible nooks and crannies where you can safely anchor.
I really haven't found that to be the case if you are cruising--in other words, moving on after a few days. My chartbook lists 88 anchorages between the Georgia border and Miami alone, and many of those have multiple locations within. There are literally hundreds of other places to anchor within the same area that are not mentioned because I only list anchorages I know personally. Florida's west coast is blessed with many fine anchorages, though St. Pete has recently reduced its possibilities significantly. At Ft. Myers Beach most of the good anchorage has been covered with moorings unless you are shallow draft. Sarasota is about to install more moorings, but from what I hear there is still plenty of anchoring room. But, close to all of these places are very nice anchorages. If you are looking for long-term anchoring your choices might be somewhat more limited, but as you say there are several good mooring fields for long-termers.
Old 23-05-2013, 07:05   #230

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Wot? Just the opposite is true as Kettlewell accurately pointed out. A quick scan of any chart sections reveals myriad nooks and crannies. Where the coastline might be difficult, in the Northeast, the friendly ICW awaits thru the nearest inlet.

Except for the very large pythons now encroaching into the St Pete area, Florida is paradise in winter, survivable in summer at anchor without AC. Fishing is good year round, winter crabs abound... it's great! I've found.

Check this out: Bluewater Books & Charts - THE Great Book Of Anchorages.
Old 23-05-2013, 09:05   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

It is the kind of thing one must adjust to in Mexico. In the US, you expect some government agency will come and fix/repair/correct things.
But there is no such thing, there are no taxes collected to pay for it/them.

But the funny thing is that things still work okay like this.
Individuals must take it upon themselves to fix something if important to them,
and/or find others to assist.
While not ideal, I much prefer this environment to the nanny/police state of the US,
and having to working 1/3rd of your time to support them (i.e. taxes).
Last night there was a boat, Yellow Star, that had to hop on (an American) boat that was dragging. He's been hit by four boats already this summer and luckily he was able to get on this one before it did damage to anyone else. It had a 20lb danforth, 20' of 1/4" chain, and some hardware store nylon for rode.

I like the freedom as well, but this place is economically stunted and a big reason is because of a lack of clear regulation with effective avenues of due process.

None of the four boats that hit him have even so much as apologized, let alone offered to assist with any repair work in either the effort or the cost. Probably because they are broke and barely able to afford their beer and taco habit. The screwed up thing about the anchors left in the bay is that they're American/Canadian origin.

It's the same boat bums down here that are wreaking havoc up north. It costs money and work to keep a boat safe to yourself and others. Boat bums have neither work nor money, and as such they put everyone else at risk.

Where was the boat owner of the dragging boat last night? Drinking at a party of course. And of all the "sailors" over there, not a one of them had the brains to bring a handheld VHF with them.
Old 23-05-2013, 09:37   #232

Even the boat right next to me is a perfect example of what happens when one person's actions (or inactions) put others in jeopardy.

It's an 80 year old boat, seams exposing through the paint, that the owner proudly states he "will no longer do any boat projects on". Somehow I don't think the safe removal of the vessel once it takes on more water than can be pumped will be on his agenda.

It will sink and put out others in harm's way at the community's expense, or hopefully will simply blow up onto a beach where a backhoe can tear it up and haul the remains away. Which will also be at the tax payer's expense, but at least it will be cheaper and safer.

Forgive me for not celebrating this man's "freedom" to act without any form of social consciousness and put this own myopic laziness at the center of his objectives. I could go on and on about this city in particular. Abandoned hulks, dragging boats while their owners are slamming Tecate on the beach, completely dark vessels at anchor (dozens), etc.

Laws are generally enacted in response to people who don't have enough personal responsibility to behave properly. The larger the group of people and the longer they remain together as a citizenry, the more laws there will be. If you want more freedom and less laws, it starts with convincing your dirt bag boat neighbor to operate like a sailor and not like a drunk with a floating flophouse.
Old 23-05-2013, 09:56   #233

I really don't know what you guys are on about. The Florida anchoring situation went through the Florida Supreme Court. It's done. No restriction of anchoring for non live aboard vessels period. IF your vessel Can Navigate your good.Floating homes and other live aboard vessels are a different deal and are covered separately as they should be.
You can anchor in the middle of a mooring field but thats only commonsense. The existence of said mooring field under special permit gives the town rights to regulate anchoring in the general area of the mooring field. A couple towns tried to twist the rules for there waterfront home friends and got shot down. No one else seems to be trying it.
Any regulations comes AFTER Large expense in Mooring field development , regulation management and maintenance. The Sarasota shitestorm will each the other towns to move on.

So where is the issue? KEY WEST now has room for many more boats to moor safely.
The harbour is cleaner.It has bad holding anyway.Everyone seems happy with the situation except a few drug addicts. Boot Key being the one Hurricane hole in the Keys now has a clean harbour with services and room for many many boats. Often a waiting list to get in the harbor so that is a big success.Everywhere else in the keys is a free anchor zone.If you work in this area then you can afford the mooring fees and if your a visitor you get services.Police are restricted from hassling you on the request of homeowners. St. Auggie is another harbor that benefits from mooring balls greatly and is a historic and popular stop. St. Pete had little good anchorage and they clogged it with very expensive mooring balls that sit unused.So to keep you out the taxpayer will have to continue to maintain and manage them at a big loss. Easy don't go there. The rest of Pinellas County is better anyway as is Tampa Bradenton and Rivers. Sarasota is another clusterFraak They put in a big mooring field and they are all bad and are being replaced and there over restrictive anchor free zones where shoot down by the State working to Court Guidelines. Pretty Much the rest of Florida is a free anchor zone.
Old 23-05-2013, 09:58   #234
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Forgive me for not celebrating this man's "freedom" to act without any form of social consciousness and put this own myopic laziness at the center of his objectives.

If you want more freedom and less laws, it starts with convincing your dirt bag boat neighbor to operate like a sailor and not like a drunk with a floating flophouse.
Excellent!
Old 23-05-2013, 10:52   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The delightful thing about sailing and boats is that if you don't like the neighborhood or the neighbors you can up anchor and move. That's one reason you will very rarely find me anchored off Sausalito for instance. Though its more the noise from shore and the non stop stream of ferry's going hither and yon, then the junkers floating in part of Richardson Bay.. Way too busy a place for me.

Bums, drunks and the poor are everywhere now a days. Though oddly enough, drunks seem to exist across the spectrum of the boating community. Being sailors, we're lucky for we can move elsewhere when we want.

I agree that there are a number of bum boats with sub standard anchor gear. Though boats dragging like drunks exist across the whole array of boaters. I've seen more nicer boats with dragging issues then with the bum boats. Though only because there are fewer bum boats overall.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:03   #236
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The delightful thing about sailing and boats is that if you don't like the neighborhood or the neighbors you can up anchor and move.

Bums, drunks and the poor are everywhere now a days. Though oddly enough, drunks seem to exist across the spectrum of the boating community. Being sailors, we're lucky for we can move elsewhere when we want.
Exactly 100% right on... I feel the same way.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:13   #237

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

The good news is you don't have to stay there if you don't like it.
Everywhere doesn't need to be a CostaBaja or a CostaBaja wannabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Even the boat right next to me is a perfect example of what happens when one person's actions (or inactions) put others in jeopardy.

It's an 80 year old boat, seams exposing through the paint, that the owner proudly states he "will no longer do any boat projects on". Somehow I don't think the safe removal of the vessel once it takes on more water than can be pumped will be on his agenda.

It will sink and put out others in harm's way at the community's expense, or hopefully will simply blow up onto a beach where a backhoe can tear it up and haul the remains away. Which will also be at the tax payer's expense, but at least it will be cheaper and safer.

Forgive me for not celebrating this man's "freedom" to act without any form of social consciousness and put this own myopic laziness at the center of his objectives. I could go on and on about this city in particular. Abandoned hulks, dragging boats while their owners are slamming Tecate on the beach, completely dark vessels at anchor (dozens), etc.

Laws are generally enacted in response to people who don't have enough personal responsibility to behave properly. The larger the group of people and the longer they remain together as a citizenry, the more laws there will be. If you want more freedom and less laws, it starts with convincing your dirt bag boat neighbor to operate like a sailor and not like a drunk with a floating flophouse.
Old 23-05-2013, 15:15   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
For the record, in 35+ years of cruising I have never been run into by a dragging "bum" boat, but I have numerous times been hit by boats worth much more than mine, in several cases causing damage that the owners of the big boats refused to do anything about.
Wow really? Simple. Call coast guard and have the boat arrested.
Old 23-05-2013, 15:33   #239

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
I really don't know what you guys are on about. The Florida anchoring situation went through the Florida Supreme Court. It's done. No restriction of anchoring for non live aboard vessels period. IF your vessel Can Navigate your good.Floating homes and other live aboard vessels are a different deal and are covered separately as they should be.
I JUST got something in from Waterway guide that says Florida is at it again. Apparently they are going to try and convert all those areas that were previously on the list of "no anchoring" into mooring fields.
Old 23-05-2013, 16:17   #240

Crusiers net has nothing post link please
Waterway guide has nothing.
Closed Thread