Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 10:54   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Hobos Afloat

I'm thinking a lot of the folks complaining for the most are not full time cruisers. Gee when the heat gets above 90, I'll have a sun shade over the boom too. Yes ok, I only have a few small pots of grass (lawn, not the other kind) for the cat. But the boat remains ready to sail in 15 minutes or so.

I've seen boats with floating docks towed behind. The ones I've seen with docks around here, do travel a bit.

The fellow seems mostly harmless to me.
Old 20-05-2013, 11:02   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
[Mod hat on] Enough with the political comments guys... I spent the last 20 minutes editing![/mod hat]

I retired at 53. I paid into the "system" all my working life, and have no (taxable) income now.... Am I a "bum living off society"? I pay property tax on my homes, the marina where I moor charges me a hefty sum each month, I pay a pile of registration taxes for my toys.....maintenance, upkeep, insurance, more toys.... you get the picture; even though I pay no income tax, I still pay a pile of taxes!

Look at the guy moored out in the middle of nowhere in the FL Keys.... Registration taxes, fuel takes, bird food taxes, etc.... Lack of the need to pay an income tax or property tax does not equal a burden to society!
And, to bust one stereotype, not everyone who is on "disability" is on SSI or SSDI. My girlfriend just went on disability, using her private disability insurance she paid on for 23 years, because she knew she had the genetic marker to have a type of paralysis.

I'm semi retired at 55 (I'm working part time, putting up some extra money for my next cruise), because I planned my fiances well. I just came back two years ago from a year long sabbatical on my boat, where I was constantly being questioned by people, who seemed indignant that I was sailing while they were working.

Most people could retire early if it were important enough to them to plan for it. I have another friend, who is retiring at 60 to go cruise, and asked me if I got as much static from people as he is getting about retiring early.

Leave this old guy alone until he starts hurting somebody.
Old 20-05-2013, 11:15   #168
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I doubt if the self confessed 'Bums' are hurt by it...
however the 'Pillars' seem a tad sensitive..

"Pillars?"
Old 20-05-2013, 11:31   #169

Boat: Seafarer36c

Pillars of society
Old 20-05-2013, 11:35   #170
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Pillars of society

Wow -- being able to retire early and moving to a sailboat makes you a pillar of society? Interesting perspective ...
Old 20-05-2013, 11:45   #171

Boat: Seafarer36c

Especially when so many are on such a short scope.
Old 20-05-2013, 12:10   #172
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
She comes in here and shares her knowledge and experience and shouldn't be called names.
What in the world are you talking about? I haven't a clue what you mean by your statement which was directed towards me.
Old 20-05-2013, 12:21   #173

Boat: O'Day 28

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke

The nice little old axe murderer professor, alcoholic, sponge diver is hurting every real cruiser who enjoyed the free anchorages, landing access, free flushing pooping by simply not moving when he was asked to by the city pillars. This issue has been slugged out already. It's too late for grousing. Several of you appear to just want to argue but it's really not your fight. Keep yer boat on a mooring, in a slip, on a trailer. That is not the issue.
Old 20-05-2013, 12:33   #174
cruiser

Originally Posted by Rakuflames
She comes in here and shares her knowledge and experience and shouldn't be called names.
What in the world are you talking about? I haven't a clue what you mean by your statement which was directed towards me.

I guess we'll both have to find a way to live with that.
Old 20-05-2013, 12:36   #175
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
"What we have here is a failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke

The nice little old axe murderer professor, alcoholic, sponge diver is hurting every real cruiser who enjoyed the free anchorages, landing access, free flushing pooping by simply not moving when he was asked to by the city pillars. This issue has been slugged out already. It's too late for grousing. Several of you appear to just want to argue but it's really not your fight. Keep yer boat on a mooring, in a slip, on a trailer. That is not the issue.

And we'll always have someone here ready to declare to the group at large what is and is not an acceptable viewpoint.
Old 20-05-2013, 13:44   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
And we'll always have someone here ready to declare to the group at large what is and is not an acceptable viewpoint.
^^+1

I for one am always amazed that we all get along so smashingly. When you factor that you have folks from around the world and from every social economical area, from Bums to multi-millionaires, I for one am amazed that every thread does not descend into rabid bickering............ Oh wait..

Still I think overall we do things a bit more civil then oh say congress, where you have one super rich group of white guys bickering with another super rich group of white guys about how to spend other people money...

So bravo everyone for being the very model of civil discourse.
Old 20-05-2013, 17:02   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My viewpoint, and not to be proposed as what should be acceptable by all, remains centered on safety and availability of anchorages. I have no concern for taxes paid or disabilities,- boom tents or plots of sod,- type or age of vessel, - or even frequency of sailing or motoring from one place to another. My only concern is that the vessels and their owners should not risk others. This means proper anchoring or mooring, a good visable anchor light and a degree of upkeep that keeps the boat from breaking apart, sinking or being abandoned. These are the things that allow for me to welcome my neighbors in the anchorage.
Old 20-05-2013, 18:02   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post

So dive on it. What's the worst that could happen, someone take your "free" anchor from you as they claim it as theirs? At least you would know the ident of the A-hole.
4 knots of current, crap visibility, and probably 20 of these gems laying about in a busy bay. Hauling up anchors isn't a joke either, especially in current and chop which is normal here.
Old 20-05-2013, 18:31   #179

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
^^+1

I for one am always amazed that we all get along so smashingly. When you factor that you have folks from around the world and from every social economical area, from Bums to multi-millionaires, I for one am amazed that every thread does not descend into rabid bickering............ Oh wait..

Still I think overall we do things a bit more civil then oh say congress, where you have one super rich group of white guys bickering with another super rich group of white guys about how to spend other people money...

So bravo everyone for being the very model of civil discourse.

No doubt more civil than sailing anarchy....could you imagine this thread over there?
Old 20-05-2013, 18:32   #180
CLOD

Boat: none

This thread has made me want to be a hobo/boat bum. I'm not really seeing a downside other than being trashed on CF, and I already have that!