Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 04:25   #76
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Hobos Afloat

hobos/bums does not equal homeless, just as liveaboards don't equal boat trash

they both could be equal but it isn't a given

there is a lot of stereotyping in this thread
Old 19-05-2013, 04:37   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hobos Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
hobos/bums does not equal homeless, just as liveaboards don't equal boat trash

they both could be equal but it isn't a given

there is a lot of stereotyping in this thread
Hey... Buga orf...
can we have a little less intelligence...
stop trying to raise us to your level...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-05-2013, 05:35   #78
cruiser

Point of information:

I'm going with Webster's definition when referring to the term "bum", with much emphasis on "one who seeks to live solely by the support of others."

If you don't meet the qualifications, then you're not a bum.....but if the shoe fits?

Bum 1(bm)
n. 1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum

v.intr. 1. To live by begging and scavenging from place to place. Often used with around.
2. To loaf
Old 19-05-2013, 05:44   #79

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
hobos/bums does not equal homeless, just as liveaboards don't equal boat trash ...there is a lot of stereotyping in this thread Only if you mean using both index fingers.

It's true that the traditional definitions don't lend themselves to a boating discussion except for the word "bum". Here's what I glean from online sources:

Hobos travel, living as Blanche in Streetcar, on the kindness of strangers.

Tramps travel, working as necessary.

Bums don't work. They beg, cadge, and otherwise rely on the support of others. Bums travel only when moved by authorities.

Liveaboard is a stickier wicket. I think it refers to real traveling boaters who take jobs ashore and anchor long term solely for the access.

Boat trash - You fill in the blank but we know it when we see it.

Derelict- For us it means abandoned by owner or otherwise fallen into disrepair.
Old 19-05-2013, 05:56   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Point of information:

I'm going with Webster's definition when referring to the term "bum", with much emphasis on "one who seeks to live solely by the support of others."

If you don't meet the qualifications, then you're not a bum.....but if the shoe fits?

Bum 1(bm)
n. 1. A tramp; a vagrant.
Johny Appleseed...
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
Your common or garden Politician...
3. An incompetent, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum
??

v.intr. 1. To live by begging and scavenging from place to place. Often used with around.
Job Seeker in the 21st century...
2. To loaf
Just don't include 'cake' in the same sentence....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-05-2013, 05:59   #81
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have friends on a schooner who brag on being schooner trash--both have pensions and they also charter. living cheapo--is an 85 ft schooner.

most of the good souls out here are short on money . very short on dough.
you guys would not "äpprove"of them nor of me, i know..lol..

the IQs of the souls i met who are derelict sailors ----add up 5 of yours and multiply by 7 divide by 2 and add your age, then multiply again this time by 4---if it doesnt ccome to 188 or so, then start over and re configure----the most intelligent souls i have ever met are those who do not conform to YOUR standards..

but ye can learn a lot from cheapo derelict cruisers. a lot more than from yuppie yotties with shiny boats.

not only do they SAIL better than the shiny boat souls-i dont care where you race--that is not cruising or normal sailing...lol--is a show of testosterone, only!!!!

best boat repairs are from derelict sailors--stuff lasts, as they know how to FIX the problem, not just prevent the inevitable or run to marina for repairs..lol..and they dont charge 100 usd per hour to repair stuff.....

they also know the places they sail better than the club of snotties who parade thru every year then put boats away f or a looong time before using again.....they are also better at securing boat to ocean floor han are most snotties i have been anchored over.....rodlmao----i do not trust the snotty yotty in an anchorage--they are first to fly on a windy day, and cannot manage to be on board WHEN they drag anchor.

just splainin my OBSERVATIONS.....lol..even have pix of some of the cannot anchor group.....but if i post then am against catamarans...rodlmao....

i obtained my formosa from a fella who was not a sailor and who bought a boat he didnt know how to manage much less repair. he bought a lot of STUFF not knowing for what it is used.
i gave boats away and sod boats to homeless vets....i dun gud...
i woulda done better but i couldnt find enough free boats to dispo to them.

ihope you judgementalists do not ever have to learn how to manage on your own, as you will not succeed.

there used to be a no go 55 club in cars--lol...but now there is a no go 55 group called employers. learn when you arrive at 55 what happens, and try to be prepared--it isnt gonna get better, only worse. the dead in the water age of no hire could well lower to 50 or 45.....is on its way--markets and finances are not going to improve before they go worse.....

enjoy your judgementalism and stereotypes as you become them....

let us all know how you fare as you arrive at 55......and unemployability.

if you are not yet 55--find a day job you can do everywhere--one guy here does flame eating and sword swallowing to make it go..he has a formosa 41 with electric propulsion.......

speaking of IQs, many who typo do so because of higher than normal intelligence

same with thinking outside the box---those who have the IQ can so do, others have difficulties with that aspect of creativity

funny how many souls who live outdoors have a very high intelligence quotient.
Old 19-05-2013, 06:45   #82

I lived aboard my boat for over 20 some odd years back on the Chesapeake Bay and saw the good, the bad and the ugly. It's called life and how we approach it is up to us. I still have the boat, but no longer live aboard and really do miss the lifestyle, but there is always other avenues to explore and the mountains here in NC offer much. The one post here that was very uplifting to me was by Mi
Old 19-05-2013, 06:46   #83

....didn't quite finish the post...Minaret was the poster that I was referring to. Thanks.
Old 19-05-2013, 07:04   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have friends on a schooner who brag on being schooner trash--both have pensions and they also charter. living cheapo--is an 85 ft schooner.

most of the good souls out here are short on money . very short on dough.
you guys would not "äpprove"of them nor of me, i know..lol..

the IQs of the souls i met who are derelict sailors ----add up 5 of yours and multiply by 7 divide by 2 and add your age, then multiply again this time by 4---if it doesnt ccome to 188 or so, then start over and re configure----the most intelligent souls i have ever met are those who do not conform to YOUR standards..

but ye can learn a lot from cheapo derelict cruisers. a lot more than from yuppie yotties with shiny boats.

not only do they SAIL better than the shiny boat souls-i dont care where you race--that is not cruising or normal sailing...lol--is a show of testosterone, only!!!!

best boat repairs are from derelict sailors--stuff lasts, as they know how to FIX the problem, not just prevent the inevitable or run to marina for repairs..lol..and they dont charge 100 usd per hour to repair stuff.....

they also know the places they sail better than the club of snotties who parade thru every year then put boats away f or a looong time before using again.....they are also better at securing boat to ocean floor han are most snotties i have been anchored over.....rodlmao----i do not trust the snotty yotty in an anchorage--they are first to fly on a windy day, and cannot manage to be on board WHEN they drag anchor.

just splainin my OBSERVATIONS.....lol..even have pix of some of the cannot anchor group.....but if i post then am against catamarans...rodlmao....

i obtained my formosa from a fella who was not a sailor and who bought a boat he didnt know how to manage much less repair. he bought a lot of STUFF not knowing for what it is used.
i gave boats away and sod boats to homeless vets....i dun gud...
i woulda done better but i couldnt find enough free boats to dispo to them.

ihope you judgementalists do not ever have to learn how to manage on your own, as you will not succeed.

there used to be a no go 55 club in cars--lol...but now there is a no go 55 group called employers. learn when you arrive at 55 what happens, and try to be prepared--it isnt gonna get better, only worse. the dead in the water age of no hire could well lower to 50 or 45.....is on its way--markets and finances are not going to improve before they go worse.....

enjoy your judgementalism and stereotypes as you become them....

let us all know how you fare as you arrive at 55......and unemployability.

if you are not yet 55--find a day job you can do everywhere--one guy here does flame eating and sword swallowing to make it go..he has a formosa 41 with electric propulsion.......

speaking of IQs, many who typo do so because of higher than normal intelligence

same with thinking outside the box---those who have the IQ can so do, others have difficulties with that aspect of creativity

funny how many souls who live outdoors have a very high intelligence quotient.
I must have hit a nerve with my prior post We're 56, workin', self supporting, my wife's a registered nurse and we're doing fine. We've been down and out twice during the past and always worked our butts off to get back in the game... we have the arthritic joints and tendonitis to prove it. Never asked for, or expected a handout. I guest it's just the way we were brought up... possibly our parents fault?
Old 19-05-2013, 07:10   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
possibly our parents fault?
Indeed....

Old 19-05-2013, 07:12   #86

Well, the old guy sure doesn't look like he is hurting anybody. More power to him.
Old 19-05-2013, 07:15   #87

I don't get the hostility in this thread. What the hell does it really matter to some of you how people live their lives? 99.9% of us will not have some derelict boat with a "hobo" dragging down on us scratching our nice paint job (less a hurricane). You pay taxes and somehow that gives you the right to dictate what other people can or can't do?

My wife and I have no taxable income. So does that make us a dredge on society? Are we entitled to less fire protection? Less use of roads? Less right to call ourselves citizens of our country? Less right to live a life how and where we want?

Wasn't there a time when ALL cruisers were happy to be on the fringe of "normal" society? Isn't that the damn point?
Old 19-05-2013, 07:26   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
While I hear what your saying, how do we solved the problem. For the bad boat bum where should they go. They are already at the bottom of the social economical ladder. Kick them off the boats and they are ashore, living under bridges, in door ways, etc. The problem just moved from the boat to the shore. .......................
Certainly, requiring that those on the water follow established laws, - displaying an anchor light and not polluting the water would cause some not to live in derelict vessels and result in moving them to shore; however, laws are more often upheld ashore. We don't see people of little means constructing homes of plywood and old tires within the city parks. I can't imagine that anyone would be able to drive an RV onto public parks within any US city and make it their permanent home. Those public waterways surrounding cities are not of a lesser value than the public parks ashore.

Zeehag defends those whose boats are functional and yet not shiny "yachts" and she defends those who are knowledgeable sailors with little money. I'm in full agreement with this. I do not propose clearing anchorages of boats and I am among those anchoring out in my boat that is older than Zeehag's Formosa. I simply want those few laws enforced that would not allow people to float their makeshift derelicts out in the water and claim them as liveaboard vessels, while dragging about in stroms and risking others; abandoning them when they sink and back to look for more wrecks to float.
Old 19-05-2013, 07:26   #89

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
... My wife and I have no taxable income. So does that make us a dredge on society? Are we entitled to less fire protection? Less use of roads? Less right to call ourselves citizens of our country? Less right to live a life how and where we want?
I'll take a shot: No if you've paid in your share previously. Yes if you've been living on the kindness of strangers.

Ass, grass, or gas; nobody rides for free. That was then.

Now things have changed for 47% of US residents. The term "citizen" means nothing anymore. But every now and then doncha wonder where the money comes from?
Old 19-05-2013, 07:32   #90
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'll take a shot: No if you've paid in your share previously. Yes if you've been living on the kindness of strangers.

Ass, grass, or gas; nobody rides for free. That was then.

Now things have changed for 47% of US residents. The term "citizen" means nothing anymore. But every now and then doncha wonder where the money comes from?

How much is "their share"? Who gets to determine that?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Closed Thread