Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
Old 15-07-2013, 04:06   #331
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Dave, They have the kids in order to increase the amount of assistance the mothers can collect each month. Don't make remarks on a subject here in America you know nothing about coming from the UK. The government welfare system is quite different here and currently out of control giving out benefits to those who Choose not to work and instead "game the system" depleting the resources from those who may truly be in need.
Common right wing complaint heard in every country with some form of social welfare system , usually comes with calls to " lower taxes" or " smaller gubberment " , typically characteristics welfare recipients as conniving cheats , to suit arguments , when in reality ( ever stood in a dole Q have you) most welfare recipients are ordinary people , unemployed or down on their luck etc.

Same in the UK ,US, Australia , France , etc etc etc ad nauseum, comes from a political view and must be treated so.

Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! -
Old 15-07-2013, 04:07   #332

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Hobos Afloat

Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
DOJ ; Use your imagination! 3 different fathers shows an irresponsible choice of guys. Since they aint around to pick up the tab they are probably Hobos and they might even be Afloat.

Well, that's the problem -- too much imagination, and not enough hard facts. For instance, those programs that help with heat are not indefinite. Neither are food stamps, nor WIC (which would not be available to an older sailior living on his or her boat anyway).

And as someone pointed out, one of the big problems is keeping a roof over one's head.

I think we should keep it to the topic at hand -- we're complaining about older people with few resources but a boat to protect them from the elements, and just as we've seen a lot of assumptions made about landlubbers on hard times, we see this about people living on their boats as well. Someone threw in my face a couple of weeks ago that since I live on my boat, I 'don't pay property taxes.' Well, I do, being in a marina and paying rent like any other renter.

Old 15-07-2013, 08:13   #333

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium sloop
Re: Hobos Afloat

Thread closed.

Our custom built cutter rigged sloop is for sale:
48' Aluminium Bluewater Cruiser For Sale

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: