Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 18:51   #181

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Hobos Afloat

Boat Bums 101 ... My one and only point:

Dywane is hurting every cruiser by simply not moving on when he was asked to by the city.
Old 20-05-2013, 18:58   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
This thread has made me want to be a hobo/boat bum. I'm not really seeing a downside other than being trashed on CF, and I already have that!
Come to the dark side! LOL
Old 20-05-2013, 19:02   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
No doubt more civil than sailing anarchy....could you imagine this thread over there?
They are a little more vocal over there. Why I'm here. The water is smoother here...
Old 20-05-2013, 19:05   #184
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
They are a little more vocal over there. Why I'm here. The water is smoother here...

Exactly. Choose where you anchor.
Old 20-05-2013, 19:23   #185
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

I for one am always amazed that we all get along so smashingly. When you factor that you have folks from around the world and from every social economical area.

So bravo everyone for being the very model of civil discourse.
Old 20-05-2013, 19:44   #186

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Hobos Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Exactly. Choose where you anchor.

I was wrong. There is a god!

C'mon Raku, ya gotta laugh at the irony there!
Old 21-05-2013, 00:22   #187

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
My viewpoint, and not to be proposed as what should be acceptable by all, remains centered on safety and availability of anchorages. I have no concern for taxes paid or disabilities,- boom tents or plots of sod,- type or age of vessel, - or even frequency of sailing or motoring from one place to another. My only concern is that the vessels and their owners should not risk others. This means proper anchoring or mooring, a good visable anchor light and a degree of upkeep that keeps the boat from breaking apart, sinking or being abandoned. These are the things that allow for me to welcome my neighbors in the anchorage.
Exactly the above.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:40   #188

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
My viewpoint, and not to be proposed as what should be acceptable by all, remains centered on safety and availability of anchorages. I have no concern for taxes paid or disabilities,- boom tents or plots of sod,- type or age of vessel, - or even frequency of sailing or motoring from one place to another. My only concern is that the vessels and their owners should not risk others. This means proper anchoring or mooring, a good visable anchor light and a degree of upkeep that keeps the boat from breaking apart, sinking or being abandoned. These are the things that allow for me to welcome my neighbors in the anchorage.
^^Yes^^.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:54   #189
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

Exactly the above.

Me too, but I also want ... well ... proper waste disposal. Every once in a while I got the aroma of ... sewage. That wasn't pleasant. As far as I know they never knew where it was but I didn't want to be around it, and I didn't want my guy to have to go into such water to clean my bottom. Just basic civility and safety for all. It's a big wide world and there should be room for all type of people in it.

Which still makes me wonder why the county seemed to think they needed to label this guy "homeless." What was the point? What could it accomplish?
Old 21-05-2013, 06:00   #190

Boat: Cal 2-27

Why is he homeless, but a cruiser who moves not homeless?

Just saying, we don't call a cruiser homeless.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:05   #191

Florida's definition of "homeless":

Quote:
In the state of Florida, the definition of homeless is broader than the federal definition of homelessness and includes anyone who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, or whose primary residence is:

Sharing the house of another person due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;

Living in a motel, hotel, travel trailer park, or campground due to lack of alternative, adequate accommodations;

Living in an emergency or transitional shelter;

A nighttime residence that is a public or private space not intended for or ordinarily used for human beings;

Living in a car, park, public space, abandoned building, bus, or train station, or similar setting; or

A migratory individual who qualifies as homeless because he or she is living in circumstances as described above.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:21   #192
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Why is he homeless, but a cruiser who moves not homeless?

Just saying, we don't call a cruiser homeless.

Florida's law is weirder than that. It states that you're not a "live-aboard" if you move your boat once a year. So if I were anchored out, I wouldn't be a live-aboard. If I'm not living on the boat am I homeless?

i think the government authorities have the right to make sure boats (any boat, whether live aboard or not) are not hazard to others. Not long ago they pulled up a sailboat that sank a couple of years ago. The mast stuck out of the water but you never would have seen it in the dark and it was a real navigation hazard. While it wasn't the popular view at the time, I think they were right to get "Captain Jay" off his boat and the boat out of there.

But we also have anchored boats that are a bigger problem than any current live-aboards. They're "bird sanctuaries" and the bird "guano" stinks to high heaven. Their tackle deteriorates and isn't updated. Lots of Florida had a whompin' good storm last night and those boats break loose and sometimes hit other boats.

I don't know how you decide all these things, esp. when the officials deciding know nothing about boats, but ... rats on Jay's boat? C'mon. What if he had docked somewhere for Debby? Then new rats would have been introduced into that marina. Marinas have a hard enough time with rats as it is.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:45   #193

I've studied Florida's boat issues a lot, and the vast majority of boats left at anchor are actually not homes for anyone but just boats stored by someone living ashore who wants cheap storage for a project. The "hobo" living aboard gets all the blame for what is actually a problem caused for the most part by citizens of the community, paying their property taxes and what not, but not taking care of their boats.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:53   #194
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hobos Afloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've studied Florida's boat issues a lot, and the vast majority of boats left at anchor are actually not homes for anyone but just boats stored by someone living ashore who wants cheap storage for a project. The "hobo" living aboard gets all the blame for what is actually a problem caused for the most part by citizens of the community, paying their property taxes and what not, but not taking care of their boats.
Yaay....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:53   #195

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Interesting point not yet brought up.