Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 08:18   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Hippie haul out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna George View Post
We might be related! My Dad taught me the same thing in California so I thought it was a west coast thing.
I figured it was a "farmer" thing. Like spraying diesel on blackberries or oil on the road to keep down dust... we had an oil spill in our local creek recently, guy dumped his old oil into the street rainwater drain. Dang it caused a mess.
Old 30-10-2013, 09:12   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I figured it was a "farmer" thing.
It's an "ignorance" thing.
Old 30-10-2013, 09:55   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

This banjo playing must stop! Talk about pollution, whew! Folks are worried about bottom paint when banjo playing is in progress? Where are their priorities?
Old 30-10-2013, 10:16   #34

What if you were to sand the boat and clean up the shavings before the tides rolled back in? Nothing enters the water, boat is safely painted I'm all for eco friendliness but come on there's gotta be a safe way to do this.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:25   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Look, if you can't afford to maintain your boat within the boundaries of the law, you probably shouldn't own one.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:29   #36

Thanks for that insight...
Old 30-10-2013, 10:44   #37

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjImprov View Post
What if you were to sand the boat and clean up the shavings before the tides rolled back in? Nothing enters the water, boat is safely painted I'm all for eco friendliness but come on there's gotta be a safe way to do this.
I could tell you how careful the yard manager in Astoria is about pollution/runoff... we laid down the tarps before he set the boat down on them. I think you're flirting with disaster and a Big fine.
Old 30-10-2013, 12:26   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's a $5000 fine here for letting the sawdust from your brightwork project hit the water. Boatyards all up and down the West Coast have been sued out of existence for violating pollution laws.
Old 30-10-2013, 12:36   #39

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Look, if you can't afford to maintain your boat within the boundaries of the law, you probably shouldn't own one.
agree
+1
Old 30-10-2013, 12:52   #40

Kay, thanks for the advice guys, I guess in the west it just doesn't fly. I'll have to find a marina with a lift nearby.
Old 30-10-2013, 13:19   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
It's a $5000 fine here for letting the sawdust from your brightwork project hit the water. Boatyards all up and down the West Coast have been sued out of existence for violating pollution laws.
I know it's the law down there in CA, but it's also kind of ridiculous.

Ayn Rand
Old 30-10-2013, 13:31   #42

Boat: Custom 30

I'm assuming all bottom cleaners adhere to OSHA safety standards that apply to working in the water.

I'm sure they always have enough help on the dock to use the retrieval equipment necessary to get them out of the water if something happens. I'm sure there is one person continuously monitoring the air delivery equipment, etc.. I'm certain there is always a manned safety boat nearby also.

If they can't clean bottoms using the 3-4 people it takes to satisfy the OSHA safety rules, they probably shouldn't be cleaning them. There are no exemptions from these rules, regardless of occupation or State (unless you're on a farm).

You could not read all of the laws that apply to you in a lifetime, the idea of following them all is absurd. You can't even read the legislation produced this year, and neither have the idiots that voted for/against it.

It is physically impossible to scrape things off of ablative paint without removing any paint at all, it is what makes it ablative. Like tires, just because you can't see the rubber left on the road, doesn't mean they are not wearing with every revolution.

I thought this was a place to ask questions, you guys treat the OP like he should have been born with the entire CFR in his head.

Flame away!

'
Old 30-10-2013, 13:43   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, I could clean bottoms with the tender, backup diver and supervisor that OSHA requires of hardhat dive operations. Thats not the issue in your flawed comparison. The issue is; could you afford the $20/foot it would cost you to have your bottom cleaned in that scenario?

Look, the OP is free to careen if he wants, but he's risking a fine. Plus, it's just not cool to bypass the environmental safeguards the boatyards have had to put in place to contain that kind of pollution. And if you're so concerned about the polluting that in-water hull cleaning creates (and it does create pollution), don't have your bottom cleaned.
Old 30-10-2013, 13:46   #44

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Oh, I could clean bottoms with the tender, backup diver and supervisor that OSHA requires of hardhat dive operations. Thats not the issue in your flawed comparison. The issue is; could you afford the $20/foot it would cost you to have your bottom cleaned in that scenario?
So, if the OP can't afford a haulout, it's an excuse to break the law?

No different for you. Like you said, if you can't afford to clean bottoms within the regulations, you shouldn't be doing it.

The regulations, both environmental and Occupational Safety, make no allowances for their economic impact.

Seems you are selective about the ones that apply to you.

'
Old 30-10-2013, 13:58   #45

Boat: Columbia 50

Sounds like things are a bit crazy out there.....

So you can't scrape the barnacles off your boat, so you burn extra diesel getting around, dumping extra carbon into the atmosphere, more drilling and spillage surrounding that extra diesel, but hey, it's all good because you're not polluting anything.
Closed Thread