Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 13:06   #1

Hi All. Planning to cruise/live aboard with my family...looking at boats and suggesti

Hi everyone. So within the next year or so I'm hoping to buy a boat 36-42ft and cruise the Caribbean and spend a lot of time stopped in Mexico when not cruising. It's myself (turning 40), my wife and my son ( who will be a 3 1/2). I've had quite a bit of experience when I was young basically being born on a boat and sailing until I was about 17 in Lake Ontario. We still have a boat there, a Nonsuch 30 which is the easiest boat to sail. I have forgotten much of what I had learned but I'm sure sailing in the ocean is completely different and a new learning experience anyway. I've started reading some books and studying online to prepare myself.
I'm just tired of working all the time, never seeing my family, and hate the cold weather where I live now in Calgary. My wife is Mexican and has a lot of family in Mexico so I was hoping to stay in a marina in Huatulco and sometimes Cancun for a lot of the year when not cruising. So I've started to look at boats but my max budget is about $50000. I'd prefer to keep it in the 30's so I have room for repairs and upgrades. The only income I'll have is from a rental property I own which will give me $1200/month and some decent savings, but I'd rather not touch them.
Anyway, it's been great reading about people's experiences because I'm definitely a bit scared about taking on this life change. So it's nice to see those with good experiences cruising or living with families. Any advice would be great especially in terms of looking at boats for my situation.

Thanks,

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Coops75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 22:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Hi All. Planning to cruise/live aboard with my family...looking at boats and sugg

Welcome to Cruisers Forum Rich!
My best advice after cruising Mexico for 4 yrs with the family and now on year 7 of living aboard is to hunt down and read the current and recent blogs from other cruising families. You will quickly find out that all of your questions, fears, etc have been cycled through by lots of families so learn from them. Email them and they (we) will be happy to help and give advice.

Good luck on the adventure my friend and ignore your friends and family that will call you crazy. What they think is crazy is that you are climbing the prison wall for an escape and it will scare them and make them ask themselves why they don't escape through the unlocked gate!

Our family of 4 cruised for 4yrs on about $1200...so yes that is doable.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hi All. Planning to cruise/live aboard with my family...looking at boats and sugg

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rich.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:55   #4

Boat: 1985 Whitby Alberg 37 - "Lazy Gecko"

We are doing the same! I am retiring and we are buying a boat to cruise the caribbean and Bahamas for about a year, then who knows! It will be three of us as well. Husband, wife and 1 year old at the time. He isn't born yet. We will be living on a budget of about 1550 net monthly and an additional 1500 from another source that we prefer to not touch. We are hoping to keep our budget around 1250 average for the year.

We've figured we can get a boat anywhere under 100k...with either buying outright for 40k or financing anything above that. We like Hunters, Endeavours, Brewers, Sabres so fa but nothing over 40ft as that causes prices to go up for mooring,etc...we also want a draft of under 5ft for the caribbean waters...what boats are you liking so far?
Lazy Geckos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:03   #5

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome Rich and greetings from sunny SW Florida!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40   #6

Beneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter, are a few I've been looking at so far. I really like the layout of the hunter plus it seems easier to find something that is ready to go for around $40000. There's even one in Mexico. Might be worth buying it there and living on board and learning about it before setting off on any long trips. I was hoping to go with something over 40 ft but I don't really know how much the mooring charges would be for something bigger. I like the Hunter 40' but maybe 37' is the way to go?
Anyway, great to hear from someone who's setting out soon and will be travelling with a newborn...Congrats by the way! We are possibly planning to have one more before we leave. Anyway, maybe we'll meet out there at some point!

Rich

Old 05-02-2015, 11:33   #7

Boat: 1985 Whitby Alberg 37 - "Lazy Gecko"

Thanks! Yes very similar. I am just barely 40 as well. The fees usually go by foot. So the longer your boat, the more you'll spend. Plus maintenance, same goes for that. I like those brands as well. The Hunter is the wife's favorite because of the bed they offer. Not v-berth. Probably end up with one...can't wait! My retirement is in Nov. then it's on! Make sure to schedule to take the Asa courses before doing anything. I certainly am.
Lazy Geckos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:11   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I would not be too quick to discount V-berths. Afterall, it's not so much a problem with the shape of a berth, but the size. Some V-berths are large enough to allow you to sleep with your head at any point of the compass. Others are short and cramped or even have a hawse pipe tube for the anchor chain running through them.

Length is a factor for expense; however, it's important to note that a few feet can double the living space below with the accompanied increase in beam and cabin height.

Many great buys in boats are made by those that place a limited number upon specific requirements that limit their search.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38   #9

What do you guys think of this Pearson? Good price has solar and wind. It's been customized though which I'm not sure about so any info you guys could give about the customizations done would be great. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987.../United-States

Old 06-02-2015, 11:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops75 View Post
What do you guys think of this Pearson? Good price has solar and wind. It's been customized though which I'm not sure about so any info you guys could give about the customizations done would be great. 1987 Pearson 39-2 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That is the second generation Pearson 39. The first generation were center board boats.

The MARS bulbs have a good reputation but you are still close to 6' draft when loaded.

Pearson Information site

Check out the Pearson 365. It is a great boat for the size of your family. It's what Third Day started out with.

Roomy boat with great tankage, large galley, stall shower and shoal draft.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27   #11

Thanks for the reply. Just thought this one was interested for what it has and doesn't seem like it needs much additional investment.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:25   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Just thought this one was interested for what it has and doesn't seem like it needs much additional investment.

I agree, it does seem to be well equipted and well cared for with that price, but any purchase of a boat this size should be subject to a survey. I'm just a few miles away from Green Cove Springs. It's a mecca for cruisers storing boats for the hurricane season and many used boats come to market there.

The 5'10" draft is a little much for some areas in the Keys and Bahamas, but not preventing cruising there and no problem at all for the Carribean in general.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:51   #13

Quote:

Does have a lot of gear for the money.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 17:26   #14

Noob here, but...
Doesn't the shortened keel leave the rudder exposed? Seems to me that first time you ground your going to rip the rudder right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Legend1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend1673 View Post
Noob here, but...
Doesn't the shortened keel leave the rudder exposed? Seems to me that first time you ground your going to rip the rudder right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Excellent point! I'm always wary of those long free-dangling exposed rudders; however, when I went back to look at this potential problem in the photos, it appears that the rudder does not extend to the depth of the keel.

I don't know the boat and I'm not aware of any alteration of the rudder.

Tags
cruise, family