Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 06:00   #1
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,450
Images: 83
Here We Go!! Almost

Well, we've been working towards retirement & live-aboard for 8 years now. The boat is almost ready, the house is sold, 43 years worth of treasures has been sold, donated, shipped to children, stored, incinerated. Much of this was very painful. Our children should pay us for doing this before we die.

Thanks to CF for all of the tips and help along the way.

This spring we replaced the last of the lightening-fried electronics. (July 5, 2014). I also added a 32-pin plug & socket for the main mast electrical (to un-plug for lightening) and 2-pole air gap rocker switches to help protect all electronic devices from lightening. Added new autopilot, autopilot computer and plotter remote keypad. It took a bit of Simrad tech help but all appears to work on Simnet now. Other great news is the solar farm went live as the winter tarp fell. 680W name plate produced 284 watts & had all banks charged and on float in about an hour.

The survey came out mostly OK so we will be able to extend our range. The plan is to leave Muskegon Michigan in mid-June to the east coast by St Lawrence. Look for Roxy and say hello to Mark & Lynn.

Lynn has set up a blog site that will get more attention once we are under way.

Blog site www.RoxyCruising.net

Follow us by AIS. FCC YJDVESPWMX850
Vessel USCG Roxy Traverse City, Michigan# 668283 http://www.marinetraffic.com/ Use the Vessel/Port tab

FCC call sign WDF6989
MMSI 367479970
__________________

__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:23   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
angelfish2's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: where pelicans fly
Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Posts: 207
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Thank you for posting a link to your blog. I will certainly follow you guys. What an adventure on which you are about to embark!

We are in a similar "boat" in that we have been down-sizing from our home to a condo in Florida. Our "ride" quietly floats out back (Island Packet). I know it is not the norm around here, but I just really need a land base. We are planning to strike out for many exciting places, but just knowing I have a place on ground to come back to is somewhat comforting. Even my great grandfather had a land base. He was a clipper ship captain and sailed between San Francisco and Boston.

I really don't know why getting rid of "stuff" creates so much agony. I've never been very materialistic so perhaps it is the memories that come with it and knowing that we are venturing into parts unknown. Memories are more comfy, I guess.

Anyway, congratulations on being so close to your goals. I won't use the word "dreams" because they are just that...dreams. Goals are the real thing. They keep us all moving forward.

Blessings to you ~ Chris

ETA: Oh my goodness! I just read your blog about your docking experiences. I've sailed for over 50 years in various boats but docking still scares me to death.
__________________

__________________
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:43   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Anacortes
Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30
Posts: 65
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
Thank you for posting a link to your blog. I will certainly follow you guys. What an adventure on which you are about to embark!

We are in a similar "boat" in that we have been down-sizing from our home to a condo in Florida. Our "ride" quietly floats out back (Island Packet). I know it is not the norm around here, but I just really need a land base. We are planning to strike out for many exciting places, but just knowing I have a place on ground to come back to is somewhat comforting. Even my great grandfather had a land base. He was a clipper ship captain and sailed between San Francisco and Boston.

I really don't know why getting rid of "stuff" creates so much agony. I've never been very materialistic so perhaps it is the memories that come with it and knowing that we are venturing into parts unknown. Memories are more comfy, I guess.

Anyway, congratulations on being so close to your goals. I won't use the word "dreams" because they are just that...dreams. Goals are the real thing. They keep us all moving forward.

Blessings to you ~ Chris

ETA: Oh my goodness! I just read your blog about your docking experiences. I've sailed for over 50 years in various boats but docking still scares me to death.
Hello,
yea docking can be uneasy. what i say is , Docking is easy, its what you hit is the hardest
Congrats and safe sailing.
__________________
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:57   #4
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 9,195
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Nicholson58,

Congratulations. Yeah, I cried a lot when I cleared out my house. You're changing identities, the old one is dying, and you mourn it a bit, but the new one beckons.

There are a whole lot of great experiences awaiting.

Ann
__________________
Long term cruiser, with Jim, aboard US yacht Insatiable II

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 15:01   #5
Registered User
 
lilbabypenguin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster
Posts: 70
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Congrats on finally making it to the goal you have set. That's wonderful!!
Best wishes on all your future travel as aboard Roxy. 😊


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
lilbabypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:27   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jose Pobre, Panama
Boat: Leopard 42 cat
Posts: 22
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Just go for it, downsizing is wonderful for it frees the mind from all those "worries" that we assume we have by possessing possessions! Just wait till you live aboard, then all your worries will be concentrated within your boat size.

As to docking, I keep my catamaran behind a reef, with a VERY narrow entrance, hardly wider than my beam, and then when through that I have to twist and turn avoiding sandbanks, AND THEN, turn my vessel through 180 degrees to face the wind, but having a very strong current from the rear....then anchor in that.....you might imagine that I always have several pairs of underwear handy during this operation!!!

Great fun though, enjoy the future, for round every corner there is unknown excitement.
__________________
capricorntwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 10:49   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 620
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Wish you and the Mrs. the best things yet to come. You lucky dogs...
__________________
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 17:57   #8
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,869
Images: 1
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
...................
................. I know it is not the norm around here, but I just really need a land base. We are planning to strike out for many exciting places, but just knowing I have a place on ground to come back to is somewhat comforting. .............................
I'll agree it's not the norm around here to have a land base; however, I can see how it would be nice to have. I believe most of us just wouldn't be able to have the boats that suit us or the freedom to cruise and still own and maintain a land base. It's wonderful to be able to have all you enjoy!

...... and then, it's also good not to need the land base!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 18:41   #9
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 3,684
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Hi Mark & Lynn, and congrats on getting going. Sounds like we may be travelling a similar route this season. We're down in Lake Ontario right now, with plans to sail down to NFLD via the St. Lawrence. Our goal is to depart around mid-June, but knowing us it will likely be later June. From there our goal is to move as slow as possible, while still making Lewisporte before freeze up.

BTW, we started our journey from Lake Superior (Thunder Bay) two seasons ago. Spent two+ months sailing down here through four of the five Lakes (missed Michigan). Was a great journey. If I can help let me know. Happy to share what little I know.

BTW, we too have a bloggy thing going: http://helplink.com/CLAFC/

Will try and follow you as well. Good luck!
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 18:49   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,824
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Congratulations on the new life ahead. Good luck and great sailing.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 20:17   #11
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,473
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Hooray! And Bon Voyage!

Roxy is a beautiful boat I have admired since joining CF.

If you need crew, give me a shout! I would love to help, and that route appeals to me, and I have time available this summer, now that I am back in the USA.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:34   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
angelfish2's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: where pelicans fly
Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Posts: 207
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Nicholson58,

Congratulations. Yeah, I cried a lot when I cleared out my house. You're changing identities, the old one is dying, and you mourn it a bit, but the new one beckons.

There are a whole lot of great experiences awaiting.

Ann
Bless your heart, Ann. I know of what you speak as I have shed a tear or two, myself.

My musings here...I'm not sure why it is so hard to change tacks in our lives but it sure is for me. I am a cottage-y, English garden type of person and now instead of trimming roses, I am trimming sails. Instead of varnishing woodwork in a Victorian house, I am vanishing teak (a lot of teak). Adding to that...changing fuses in a battery charger, changing fuel filters, cleaning strainers, etc., etc... I think change can be a bit enchanting and that is what draws us "out there". Perhaps, we all simply reach a stage in our lives where it is time to make that change. I am clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorntwenty View Post
...As to docking, I keep my catamaran behind a reef, with a VERY narrow entrance, hardly wider than my beam, and then when through that I have to twist and turn avoiding sandbanks, AND THEN, turn my vessel through 180 degrees to face the wind, but having a very strong current from the rear....then anchor in that.....you might imagine that I always have several pairs of underwear handy during this operation!!!...
You are brave...very brave! And my new hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...It's wonderful to be able to have all you enjoy!
Why thank you, Hudson! And may you also count your many blessings!

Quote:
...... and then, it's also good not to need the land base!
Isn't diversity grand!
__________________
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 17:09   #13
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,450
Images: 83
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Today we painted the new port splash rail. The rail is the last of the hurricane Ivan damage from the PO. Good fortune put a pile of Jarah in my lap. It's hard and strong - and on there! We also managed to hide away a lot of spares and inventory. It's tough to fond homes for these and the galley supplies. Good news is the frige and freezer are working , so cold beer. At this point, it's clear the solar farm is loafing with both banks on float.

Nice day for a change. Snow on the 15th - near 80 today.

One other thing. We installed Navionics IPad app for US and CAnada. It appears quite nice until you zoom in on a place you know. I see depths in known harbors indicated way shallower than I know to be the case. Has anyone else noticed this?
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:05   #14
Registered User
 
liveaboard60's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)
Posts: 115
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Well, we've been working towards retirement & live-aboard for 8 years now. The boat is almost ready, the house is sold, 43 years worth of treasures has been sold, donated, shipped to children, stored, incinerated. Much of this was very painful. Our children should pay us for doing this before we die.

<snip>
Congrat's, and yes I am jealous Nicholson. I am at the start of my 5 year plan do pretty much do the same thing as you and am at the start of the pain of downsizing - yuck!

And while this is easy for some, it is proving to be difficult for me.. Even getting ride of all of the extra clothes is going to be no fun..

Still I am keeping the eye on the goal and know I will get through it all..

flk k
__________________
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 17:19   #15
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,450
Images: 83
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
Congrat's, and yes I am jealous Nicholson. I am at the start of my 5 year plan do pretty much do the same thing as you and am at the start of the pain of downsizing - yuck!

And while this is easy for some, it is proving to be difficult for me.. Even getting ride of all of the extra clothes is going to be no fun..

Still I am keeping the eye on the goal and know I will get through it all..

flk k
Stick to it. We worked 8 years on this Ivan damaged boat. Lots of work, punctuated by fun and Great Lakes cruises. Quite a few learning and humbling moments. More to come for sure. Passing on my wood shop and 1000 feet of walnut and other hardwoods was pure agony. I think I am packing most of my hand tools. We both have too many clothes along for sure. Tough to give up a good beer shirt.
__________________

__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer is almost here fkittson Monohull Sailboats 9 06-04-2015 05:39
New here and excited to finally be here! Shell Belle Meets & Greets 6 27-06-2013 02:55
The Restoration of 'Lady J' - Week 10.5 - Almost Too Busy to Get Up Here . . . CharlieCobra Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 09-10-2010 08:50
Almost disaster cruiser6003 The Sailor's Confessional 4 16-11-2006 21:08
Almost officially a bum. AdamY General Sailing Forum 6 05-08-2006 13:02


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.