Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 06:00   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Here We Go!! Almost

Well, we've been working towards retirement & live-aboard for 8 years now. The boat is almost ready, the house is sold, 43 years worth of treasures has been sold, donated, shipped to children, stored, incinerated. Much of this was very painful. Our children should pay us for doing this before we die.

Thanks to CF for all of the tips and help along the way.

This spring we replaced the last of the lightening-fried electronics. (July 5, 2014). I also added a 32-pin plug & socket for the main mast electrical (to un-plug for lightening) and 2-pole air gap rocker switches to help protect all electronic devices from lightening. Added new autopilot, autopilot computer and plotter remote keypad. It took a bit of Simrad tech help but all appears to work on Simnet now. Other great news is the solar farm went live as the winter tarp fell. 680W name plate produced 284 watts & had all banks charged and on float in about an hour.

The survey came out mostly OK so we will be able to extend our range. The plan is to leave Muskegon Michigan in mid-June to the east coast by St Lawrence. Look for Roxy and say hello to Mark & Lynn.

Lynn has set up a blog site that will get more attention once we are under way.

Blog site www.RoxyCruising.net

Follow us by AIS. FCC YJDVESPWMX850
Vessel USCG Roxy Traverse City, Michigan# 668283 http://www.marinetraffic.com/ Use the Vessel/Port tab

FCC call sign WDF6989
MMSI 367479970
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:23   #2

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: Here We Go!! Almost

Thank you for posting a link to your blog. I will certainly follow you guys. What an adventure on which you are about to embark!

We are in a similar "boat" in that we have been down-sizing from our home to a condo in Florida. Our "ride" quietly floats out back (Island Packet). I know it is not the norm around here, but I just really need a land base. We are planning to strike out for many exciting places, but just knowing I have a place on ground to come back to is somewhat comforting. Even my great grandfather had a land base. He was a clipper ship captain and sailed between San Francisco and Boston.

I really don't know why getting rid of "stuff" creates so much agony. I've never been very materialistic so perhaps it is the memories that come with it and knowing that we are venturing into parts unknown. Memories are more comfy, I guess.

Anyway, congratulations on being so close to your goals. I won't use the word "dreams" because they are just that...dreams. Goals are the real thing. They keep us all moving forward.

Blessings to you ~ Chris

ETA: Oh my goodness! I just read your blog about your docking experiences. I've sailed for over 50 years in various boats but docking still scares me to death.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:43   #3

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
Thank you for posting a link to your blog. I will certainly follow you guys. What an adventure on which you are about to embark!

We are in a similar "boat" in that we have been down-sizing from our home to a condo in Florida. Our "ride" quietly floats out back (Island Packet). I know it is not the norm around here, but I just really need a land base. We are planning to strike out for many exciting places, but just knowing I have a place on ground to come back to is somewhat comforting. Even my great grandfather had a land base. He was a clipper ship captain and sailed between San Francisco and Boston.

I really don't know why getting rid of "stuff" creates so much agony. I've never been very materialistic so perhaps it is the memories that come with it and knowing that we are venturing into parts unknown. Memories are more comfy, I guess.

Anyway, congratulations on being so close to your goals. I won't use the word "dreams" because they are just that...dreams. Goals are the real thing. They keep us all moving forward.

Blessings to you ~ Chris

ETA: Oh my goodness! I just read your blog about your docking experiences. I've sailed for over 50 years in various boats but docking still scares me to death.
Hello,
yea docking can be uneasy. what i say is , Docking is easy, its what you hit is the hardest
Congrats and safe sailing.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:57   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nicholson58,

Congratulations. Yeah, I cried a lot when I cleared out my house. You're changing identities, the old one is dying, and you mourn it a bit, but the new one beckons.

There are a whole lot of great experiences awaiting.

Ann
Old 27-05-2016, 15:01   #5

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster

Congrats on finally making it to the goal you have set. That's wonderful!!
Best wishes on all your future travel as aboard Roxy. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lilbabypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:27   #6

Boat: Leopard 42 cat

Just go for it, downsizing is wonderful for it frees the mind from all those "worries" that we assume we have by possessing possessions! Just wait till you live aboard, then all your worries will be concentrated within your boat size.

As to docking, I keep my catamaran behind a reef, with a VERY narrow entrance, hardly wider than my beam, and then when through that I have to twist and turn avoiding sandbanks, AND THEN, turn my vessel through 180 degrees to face the wind, but having a very strong current from the rear....then anchor in that.....you might imagine that I always have several pairs of underwear handy during this operation!!!

Great fun though, enjoy the future, for round every corner there is unknown excitement.
capricorntwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 10:49   #7

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wish you and the Mrs. the best things yet to come. You lucky dogs...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 17:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
................. I know it is not the norm around here, but I just really need a land base. We are planning to strike out for many exciting places, but just knowing I have a place on ground to come back to is somewhat comforting. .............................
I'll agree it's not the norm around here to have a land base; however, I can see how it would be nice to have. I believe most of us just wouldn't be able to have the boats that suit us or the freedom to cruise and still own and maintain a land base. It's wonderful to be able to have all you enjoy!

...... and then, it's also good not to need the land base!
Old 28-05-2016, 18:41   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Mark & Lynn, and congrats on getting going. Sounds like we may be travelling a similar route this season. We're down in Lake Ontario right now, with plans to sail down to NFLD via the St. Lawrence. Our goal is to depart around mid-June, but knowing us it will likely be later June. From there our goal is to move as slow as possible, while still making Lewisporte before freeze up.

BTW, we started our journey from Lake Superior (Thunder Bay) two seasons ago. Spent two+ months sailing down here through four of the five Lakes (missed Michigan). Was a great journey. If I can help let me know. Happy to share what little I know.

BTW, we too have a bloggy thing going: http://helplink.com/CLAFC/

Will try and follow you as well. Good luck!
Old 28-05-2016, 18:49   #10

Congratulations on the new life ahead. Good luck and great sailing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 20:17   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hooray! And Bon Voyage!

Roxy is a beautiful boat I have admired since joining CF.

If you need crew, give me a shout! I would love to help, and that route appeals to me, and I have time available this summer, now that I am back in the USA.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:34   #12

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Nicholson58,

Congratulations. Yeah, I cried a lot when I cleared out my house. You're changing identities, the old one is dying, and you mourn it a bit, but the new one beckons.

There are a whole lot of great experiences awaiting.

Ann
Bless your heart, Ann. I know of what you speak as I have shed a tear or two, myself.

My musings here...I'm not sure why it is so hard to change tacks in our lives but it sure is for me. I am a cottage-y, English garden type of person and now instead of trimming roses, I am trimming sails. Instead of varnishing woodwork in a Victorian house, I am vanishing teak (a lot of teak). Adding to that...changing fuses in a battery charger, changing fuel filters, cleaning strainers, etc., etc... I think change can be a bit enchanting and that is what draws us "out there". Perhaps, we all simply reach a stage in our lives where it is time to make that change. I am clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorntwenty View Post
...As to docking, I keep my catamaran behind a reef, with a VERY narrow entrance, hardly wider than my beam, and then when through that I have to twist and turn avoiding sandbanks, AND THEN, turn my vessel through 180 degrees to face the wind, but having a very strong current from the rear....then anchor in that.....you might imagine that I always have several pairs of underwear handy during this operation!!!...
You are brave...very brave! And my new hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...It's wonderful to be able to have all you enjoy!
Why thank you, Hudson! And may you also count your many blessings!

Quote:
...... and then, it's also good not to need the land base!
Isn't diversity grand!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 17:09   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today we painted the new port splash rail. The rail is the last of the hurricane Ivan damage from the PO. Good fortune put a pile of Jarah in my lap. It's hard and strong - and on there! We also managed to hide away a lot of spares and inventory. It's tough to fond homes for these and the galley supplies. Good news is the frige and freezer are working , so cold beer. At this point, it's clear the solar farm is loafing with both banks on float.

Nice day for a change. Snow on the 15th - near 80 today.

One other thing. We installed Navionics IPad app for US and CAnada. It appears quite nice until you zoom in on a place you know. I see depths in known harbors indicated way shallower than I know to be the case. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 31-05-2016, 09:05   #14

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Well, we've been working towards retirement & live-aboard for 8 years now. The boat is almost ready, the house is sold, 43 years worth of treasures has been sold, donated, shipped to children, stored, incinerated. Much of this was very painful. Our children should pay us for doing this before we die.

<snip>
Congrat's, and yes I am jealous Nicholson. I am at the start of my 5 year plan do pretty much do the same thing as you and am at the start of the pain of downsizing - yuck!

And while this is easy for some, it is proving to be difficult for me.. Even getting ride of all of the extra clothes is going to be no fun..

Still I am keeping the eye on the goal and know I will get through it all..

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 17:19   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
Congrat's, and yes I am jealous Nicholson. I am at the start of my 5 year plan do pretty much do the same thing as you and am at the start of the pain of downsizing - yuck!

And while this is easy for some, it is proving to be difficult for me.. Even getting ride of all of the extra clothes is going to be no fun..

Still I am keeping the eye on the goal and know I will get through it all..

flk k
Stick to it. We worked 8 years on this Ivan damaged boat. Lots of work, punctuated by fun and Great Lakes cruises. Quite a few learning and humbling moments. More to come for sure. Passing on my wood shop and 1000 feet of walnut and other hardwoods was pure agony. I think I am packing most of my hand tools. We both have too many clothes along for sure. Tough to give up a good beer shirt.