Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 18:37   #106

Boat: csy 37
Re: Help! Too Cold, Condensation, Sick, Need Info

where can you buy TSP? i thought it was removed from store shelves some time ago...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 18:47   #107

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I don't really understand how TSP can be phosphate free but that's what mine says. I bought it in a lumber / hardware store
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:15   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

The small woodburner looks a great option (along with a hotwater bottle & a decent sleeping bag), ive never been on a boat with a woodburner but we did have one in my home growing up in a cold village in the mountains of mid-Wales, it was Fantastic! What do you all think about a small fitted woodburner on board?? safety, effectiveness, etc??? Where would you put it?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:19   #109

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
The TSP / 90 heavy duty cleaner I bought says phosphate free.
Pray tell... how can trisodium phosphate (TSP) be phosphate free?
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:38   #110

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140204_223706.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	75320

Maybe the letters stand for something else cuz I don't get it either
just read the fine print TSP/90. is a trisodium phosphate substitute. biodegradable and safe for the environment
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:39   #111

I know from many experiences, from one house after the next, that mold is the health destroyer & brings on great headaches, however, you can live with others in the same moldy house and be the only one getting sick, IF your BBB is compromised, such as my G4 internet did. This has only now been made very clear to me, because I've spent the last 1/3 of my life trying to resolve this issue. I now have a 10' USB extension cable keeping that G4 transmitter away from my body. Both of these things cannot be seen with the eyes, not always. Mold can be entirely hidden, but smellable.
People always tell me to just take an asperine. Yeah, just cut the oil-light out of the dash, that will solve it. Mold takes center-stage here, but so does it's deadly coworker. I don't use unsafe ovens either, not that the such can be dodged. Everywhere I go, someone has an emitting device next to their head & next to me.
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:41   #112

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Hmmm... now I am REALLY worried about you.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:49   #113

Boat: CORBIN 39

how old are you?
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:01   #114

Time to get a condo !
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 14:56   #115

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
where can you buy TSP? i thought it was removed from store shelves some time ago...
i answered my own question. apparently it was banned for awhile but it's now back on store shelves. i went to home depot to buy degreaser and there were bags of TSP on the shelf! i remember looking for it about a year or two ago and only found 'TSP substitutes'.

anybody know the details of this?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 21:12   #116

Boat: Tayana 37

Ok guys, I just spoke with the OP, turns out, he's on my old Alberg. All he's got to do is get into a slip. That boat has a 12,000 BTU Mermaid reverse cycle AC system on board. And I think I know where the headaches are coming from. The stove has a propane leak in it. If a tank was hooked up, it was leaking into the cabin. The boat does not have a proper propane locker. Instead, the tank just sits on the cabin sole when in use.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 22:47   #117

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Do propane explosions cause headaches?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:27   #118
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yes...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00   #119

I had a headache one time on this boat, when the cold-snap happened & Ive been fine since.
I took apart the propane stove as soon as I got this boat, & checked it for leaks w/ soapy water. The only leak was from the front, which was immediately repaired. I am in the process of fixing the long hose, but there are no propane leaks on this boat anymore. There was one when I first got it. It's fine now.
That last post was entirely a joke, for those who didn't get it, LOL, I got an unusual sense of humor, but I'll admit, this was a serious issue, but that's resolved now. Now that I know to open both hatches when cooking, use a heatsink for warmth, like a waterbottle, & wipe down the walls w/ white vinegar. Piece of cake.
I usually keep the hatches open anyways. The fresh air keeps everything dry. Sweaters & blankets are really quite sufficient. What made me sick was lack of knowledge.
Now I have to figure out how to replace my depth transducer w/out an expensive haulout with a full keel!
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:22   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
Now I have to figure out how to replace my depth transducer w/out an expensive haulout with a full keel!
If you have the Airmar type which has been pretty universal (Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno) for the last couple of decades, this is a piece of cake.

Buy a new transducer which has the same insert size as what you've got. Get a wooden plug of appropriate size ready, tools, etc. Remove the safety clip and pull out the pin. Pull out the insert and immediately stick in the new one. There will be a little geyser, but nothing to sink your boat. If you have any trouble getting the new insert in, use the wooden plug while you figure it out.

If you have to replace the through-hull, this is much harder. You can't do it without a diver because you have to insert it from the outside of the hull. Even with a diver it's very tricky -- possible, but better and safer to haul out.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation