Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 15:44   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Cal 2-29
Now your moving in the right direction.... with your budget forget the bells and ribbons like Radar etc... it aint gonna happen.
Concentrate on the basics and make sure they're good to go.
Sound hull and rigging
Good sails and roller furling
Wheel/tiller pilot
GPS/VHF/Depth/Speed log/Compass, solar panel/wind gen
masthead nav lights and working bilge pumps, 1 electric, 1 hand
Watertight decks and hatches
If you can find a boat like this your set... toys can come later... they're not necessary to what you want

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 16:12   #17
cruiser

thank you for checking our my forum, and actually reading my rants.. hehehehehe

for some reason, writing about things seems to get them off my chest and keep them from getting to me. most of the time

And yes, i have a bad back, but, my bed is nothing special, and actually, I have been sleeping on my EZ boy recliner for the last two months... If you read my forum, you know why...

I have sold most of my 'posessions' and currently live in my living room, and basically am a loner..

I have wanted to live by myself in teh country or mountains for a while...and i believe that all my choices have pros and cons... and issues that i will have to deal with... but, I feel best when i am swimming, snorkeling, and diving... I can roll off the deck and be in the water in a heart beat..Other places will have issues as well...

and yes, I will check the conditions of the sails and find out what equipment is included... I am waiting on the recent out of water survey that was jsut completed, and hope everything will be included in that report???

I have seen 'auto pilot' things listed on some boats, but again, i dont know anything about boats... I am sure i would like the new toys and gadgets and hope to find out what is just a want to have, and need to have.

If you are suggesting I probably need to have a self steering vane, I will believe you, and others...

Also, the engine is deisel, yanmar something.. i dont know the hp on it...

The person i spoke with said the boat is in top notch condition.. no soft spots, no blisters, and teh itnerior is immaculate...

all the rigging is SST and new as of June of this year... And nothing leaks...

I dont know if it is a ball or a mooring anchor... just that it takes 10 minutes by dingy... (not sure if the dingy is included, but am sure i can find something...)

I am guessing I might be able to negotiate a little bit on the asking price, and end up spending $10k total to make her MINE...

And this time next year, I will change my website from the little ocean, to the big ocean...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 16:17   #18

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
An autopilot, in my opinion, is one of the most important luxuries on a boat, along with a chartplotter. Also, these are two luxuries that are relatively inexpensive to install yourself after the fact, compared to self-steering windvanes and a diesel engine, for example. A yanmar diesel is a good thing. They sip fuel, are largley dead nuts reliable and easy to repair. This Cal is a far better boat for you than the Folkboat.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 16:19   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Cal 2-29
Now your moving in the right direction.... with your budget forget the bells and ribbons like Radar etc... it aint gonna happen.
Concentrate on the basics and make sure they're good to go.
Sound hull and rigging
Good sails and roller furling
Wheel/tiller pilot
GPS/VHF/Depth/Speed log/Compass, solar panel/wind gen
masthead nav lights and working bilge pumps, 1 electric, 1 hand
Watertight decks and hatches
If you can find a boat like this your set... toys can come later... they're not necessary to what you want
I am hopeful i can work something out with the owners... Once i get the survey, and I will post it, and get one last chance for feedback, and move forward.

I have been sitting and waiting and afraid to move for fear of making a mistake for so long I kinda wonder if i have balls.. which is why i didnt take any offense to the comments made earlier...

I am 52 and everything i have is gone.. and the only thing that matters is my daughter. and she is gone because of her choice in that she dont like me...she says she loves me but she cant be around me...

That is a girl thing i think but no matter what it has the same effect.. i have no family... and I have no reason to sit here by myself when i can sit by myself in Florida on a boat...

I choose Florida on a boat...
Old 22-12-2010, 16:27   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

How bad exactly is your back.... you WILL need an electric windlass if you've a problem there... another thing your going to have to consider is picking up the mooring... might be an idea to work out a system where you can do it from the cockpit... the same with slipping... pretty st8 forward tho'..
Also... make friends with the owner if he lives nearby.. get him to show you the basics... and how things work.. go for a sail and a beer together if you get on well... he'll know his/your boat and save you many mistakes and curve time..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-12-2010, 16:30   #21
cruiser

Classic Cal 2-29 Sailboat FOR SALE - a set on Flickr

more pics of the cal2-29

btw: what does the 2 mean/stand for???

thanks

bill
Old 22-12-2010, 16:37   #22
cruiser

how much is a windlass? and a furler??/

and what kind of system is there to do this from the 'cockpit'?

links would be helpful ???

and the back is kinda bad... chronic pain, but taking narcotics to pain control...

I will want to automate and mechanize anything/everything possible...

suggestions will help here too...

I am not chair bound... I can 'take care of myself', as there is no other choice.. I do what i gotta, and deal with it after...

My biggest 'issue' I foresee is actually driving to Florida... I dont look forward to doing that.. at least not in a five day period... I might be able to drive for about 6 hours a day, in 'shifts'...

which is why i dont plan on staying in the cabin of a boat for loong.... stretching out on deck and moving around is all good...
Old 22-12-2010, 16:38   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

MK 1, MK 2, MK 3..... etc, etc....
Another essential.... a swim ladder to get back on... you'd be surprised how many newbies have overlooked that in the rush to get the first boat

Old 22-12-2010, 16:40   #24

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
looks like it's got a swim ladder. also has an older autohelm. If the pics are relatively recent, it's not bad. a dodger and bimini would be a plus, but not a huge expense to install.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:03   #25
cruiser

and yes, the owner said they would take me out and show me the boat...

'cept I aparently said something wrong and now they think i am a scammer??? I merely stated i would send a deposit if they were to get another offer...

somehow they think that means i want a refund before the check clears???

Quote:
This is strange, we spoke for a while, and I told you here the boat is anchored, and local marinas.
I am not interested in someone who wants to send a check for more that the amount needed, and would like a refund before the check clears. OK?
With so many scams on Craigslist, am I wasting my time?
Anchored off West Flemming key, Key West,
Closest marinas, Key West city, sunset, conch.
I have no idea which picture went out to you.
There is nothing scarey.
the vessel is sound, 2 small remedies. the salt water intake and the drive shaft.
Both, corroding metal.
This is a fine sailing vessel, which we are planning to race in the Wrecker's Race in January.
hmmm

Quote:
Ok, I got one pic and yes, they are big so I understand why you might have some problems sending them via email

The one picture I rec’d looks ‘scary’.. .can you tell me what the picture is of???

I have gotten some feedback from folks that pending verification of the boat that this boat maybe perfect for me? I will have to get some things and upgrade a couple things, but that this boat may fit my needs…

I look forward to seeing more info and hopefully working something out.

b

BTW not sure if I asked but where is the boat located? And where is the closest slip/marina, so I can contact them for info?

Thanks, and hopefully look forward to meeting you both soon…

BTW: if you get another offer, Please let me know, and I will confirm my intent with a deposit…

not sure what i said or did, but it certainly set her off...

oh well...

Old 23-12-2010, 12:16   #26
cruiser

i really love the internet sometimes.

FROLI systems look like they were made for me.... No doubt I will be using these on my berth....I am guessing i WILL get a custom mattress also, but will try regular cushions for a while...

I am so looking forward to this move.....I just found out I have another month or more before i gotta be out of my house, so that means an extra couple thousand bucks saved...

BUT, it also means sitting around doing nothing but staring at four walls, WAITING... and going crazy...
Old 23-12-2010, 14:45   #27
cruiser

cal 2-29 pictures by Bbergovoy - Photobucket

Here are some more pics of my new boat?
Old 24-12-2010, 09:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy
Looks ideal for your needs and for next to nothing financially considering you are buying a home. It seemed as though you are going off of a survey that they are providing. The boat seems to be very decent for the price and size but I read in a lot of places to always have your own surveyor check the boat on the sea trial and on the hard. Another thing worth checking is that the plumbing and holding tank for the head is in decent shape and sealed well. It is possible after a week of living on board it may start to smell... I don't know personally but it's things I have read. Have you heard of the book The Essentials of living aboard a boat? I haven't bought it yet but the first couple of chapters are on google books and it's pretty insightful, and funny.
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 09:36   #29
cruiser

thanks, and so far, I am moving in this direction.. my next challenge is to figure out how long i can sit on the property I am in now, before i have to drive across teh country...

the longer i sit here the more money I save... but eventually it will end and I will HAVE to move...

I am also bouncing off the walls in boredom and anxiety... so, that too is worth something...
Old 25-12-2010, 14:11   #30
cruiser

hows about his one??

cruising sailboat, gaff rigged double ended cutter - eBay (item 230566536072 end time Dec-30-10 15:11:25 PST)

Its a bit more money, but it seems to be a bit bigger, (a lot), and is much more sea worth, BLUE WATER... not that i will be doing any bluewater anytime soon... but, 'resale' value might be a bit better

anyways, I would appreciate your thoughts?