Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 17:31   #31

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Help! Quit my job and buying a boat!

Idylles15.5, if you are referring to the yacht "Willy B" which is for sale in Riviera Beach, then I totally agree- it is a bad ass boat, but it has been on the market a very long time. I remember stumbling upon her two years ago when I was looking for a boat. I don't know why the hell it hasn't sold. It is such a gorgeous boat from the looks of it (never saw her in person).
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 18:01   #32

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Heres a link to Willy B

https://www.yatco.com/vessel/info/11...-united-states
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 18:08   #33

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Its not the Willy B, although that boat is sweet too. Its another one in Palm Beach Gardens, has a green genoa sun cover. It's on YachtWorld too. Cheaper then Willy B. I'm telling you these boats are awesome, anyone would love one of these, and they are heavily rigged. Chain plates below are massive and the wire is huge. I'm taking mine around the world next fall. Finally done.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 18:14   #34

Just looked, it's not there, maybe it sold, but the Willy B is a steal at 79, sure it would go for 70 if you just made the deal. I may buy it
Old 21-01-2016, 18:15   #35

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

willy b, REST IN PEACE (gorilla at the Atlanta zoo)
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 18:29   #36

I just looked, it must have sold, but the Willy B is a steal at asking of 79. Which means you could probably get it for 70. I'm honestly thinking about buying it, do a little refit and reselling it. Anyone looking for a heavily rigged yes Blue Water boat should buy this thing. I completely stripped my down and I mean stripped to empty, and they are built thick and well.
Old 21-01-2016, 18:32   #37

Oh and Fast too. Had mine doing 14 knots once off Maryland on my way up from Fla. They are quick. Yeah I know, hull speed, blah blah blah. It was going 14 knts
Old 21-01-2016, 18:47   #38

Boat: Ohlson 29

Idylles15.5 ... Don't forget to breath
Old 21-01-2016, 18:51   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Unchained-
If you want this to be a success, you've got a lot of homework to do and the best way is to start reading. Either real books or searching web forum posts.
You'll need to pay for a survey--and if you don't take the boat, another survey on the next boat, etc. You'll need to go see the boats, because boat brokers are as honest and trustworthy as used car salesmen. And they make experienced horsetraders look like amateurs.
Plus, you'll need to pay sales tax, probably 6%+ in Florida. And once you find the boat, odds are that it can and will quickly eat $10,000 for new rigging, or sails, maybe bottom paint, maybe electrical updates or other repairs.
In order to keep it at a marina (and they don't all allow liveaboards) you'll also need at least liability insurance, and since you have no sailing experience and the boat may cross the magic "over 30 years old?" point in order to make your budget, that's gonna cost too.
Around the Keys there's also a lot of shallow enough water to make running a boat that size aground easy, so towing insurance and insurance on the boat, which includes coverage for spillage and environmental issues, i.e. in Florida, if you drag up sea grass, they'll hunt you down and you'll literally pay to have it restored.

There's a lot more to living aboard a sailing vessel than there is to, say, moving onto a houseboat. It can get complicated, especially if you will be the only sailor on board.

All these things can be overcome, but I'd really suggest starting out with some books by full-time liveaboard cruising authors, and a lot of checking out old forum threads, because if you just ask questions, you'll get a scattering of answers that probably will miss a lot of points that you'd encounter in some good books, which are more likely to be comprehensive by intent.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 19:18   #40

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

I sent you a PM.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 20:29   #41

This feedback is amazing. I truly appreciate it. Taking it to heart. I never expected this to be easy or without risks. A few years back I road my Harley from colorado to Honduras. Getting on a blog like this for bikers I got similar great advice from those who are already doing what I want to do. That trip was one of the best times thanks to that feedback. I live on my bike camping 2-3 months a year now. I love challenges, change and a minimalist life style. I hate $$ and don't have much. My biggest challenge here is funds and ignorance of sailboats. You guys are helping me with both.
Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:59   #42

Location: on board, San Carlos, Mexico and destinations beyond
Boat: Cal 3-46

Based on my very similar experience, if relocation is an urgent concern, do so. Try San Carlos, Sonora Mexico, see for example San Carlos yacht sales. Take a month long holiday, enjoy sun and beaches, look at lots of boats. If/when you buy one, get to know her first on dryland, running through the systems, employing your broket and surveyor as guide and mentor. Get her ready and familiar, then sail her, get in some overnight sails and practice before living aboard. Finally, if you can sail the dinghy, you can sail the ship.
Be bold, but be smart. Don't liveaboard with your family while learning the ship and getting her ready. I did that and it was foolish and costly. cheers,Kurt

ps: There is no "perfect" boat.
TrinitySeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 09:40   #43

Knew a family with two little kids all living quite well on a Cal 24. They sailed most of the Pacific.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 09:41   #44

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Dunno about that budget. Catamaran would be your most comfortable for 4 adults. They typically have 3-4 cabins and toilet in each hull.

The Keys in the late Spring through mid autumn can be quite warm. Someone might snap in a heated boat and kill their loved ones with the remote control to the air conditioning when it stops working. Also the lighting storms on the east coast of Florida have my full respect. Hurricanes are Russian roulette for boaters so you better be in a well protected marina. Even then....whew!

Cats are more expensive then monos. building two hulls is never cheaper than 1. I think Lizzy is correct when she recommends to you that u wait till adult kids are on their own. You could take part of your budget and give them a payout and say "here is all I can do to help you. Think of it as rent for 6-12 months. Love u kids so much. But it is time to stand on your own!"

Putting 4 people on a small boat in those weather conditions is a recipe for disaster IMO.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 09:58   #45

Boat: Island Packet 35

Go for the big boat and move your family on board. Only time will tell but some day looking back It could be the best and craziest thing you ever did. There will be challenges but that will be all part of it.
Maybe you will also plant the sailing seed in your kids to help spawn the next generation of sailors .
Life is too short to not do it while you are able to.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying