Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 13:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Help! Quit my job and buying a boat!

But you know, 65K will find many fine boats that two can live on comfortably, but not four I don't think, and then like you say they are stuck with a BIG boat that cost three times as much to keep up than what two people really can live on comfortably
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:20   #17

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
it sometimes takes minutes for me to type a post I'm so slow.
I'm a fast typer ... in Dutch. In English, I take my time ...
Have to spell check, see if my wording is OK - ohhhhhh it's so much work! Haha
Old 21-01-2016, 13:26   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As you know I spent some time in Holland, and you guy's fascinated me, I'd hear a couple talking as they walked down the road in Dutch, then an English word would be spoken, and they would seamlessly transition into English, I don't even think they realized it they were so comfortable with multiple languages.
I believe the average Dutchman speaks more than one language?
I came away from there convinced it was one of the most "civilized" places I had ever been, very impressed
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:34   #19

Unchained -- maybe something like a Prout cat?

I'm a monuhull gal myself, but to be fair ... I saw a little Prout 33 and I did like it
1990 Prout Event 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
(That one is in Greece, but just as an example.)

Quote:
I believe the average Dutchman speaks more than one language? // I came away from there convinced it was one of the most "civilized" places I had ever been, very impressed
The younger generation (I'm in my early 40's) usually speak Dutch and English - in school, German and French are offered but are optional, English is mandatory.
And with so many American TV series, movies, music etc., more and more English words and phrases are taking over.

Haha, I think we shock a lot of people visiting by being too direct ... I'm quickly learning to not be too direct here on the forum too. We usually speak out minds, and aren't very subtle
Old 21-01-2016, 13:38   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I agree with the others who suggested waiting a year until the kids move on before buying your boat. A boat for 4 to live comfortably on in that price range will be difficult, a boat in that price range for 2 will be a piece of cake. And especially since you say you don't know anything about boats to start with. That in itself is a situation that needs to be remedied before you plunk down $65K on anything. Go get settled, rent, learn about boats, learn to sail (or not if you're leaning toward a power boat), look at LOTS of them (in person, not just on Yachtworld). Then when the kids have made their way out the door you will be in a better position to find the right boat that will serve the 2 of you in the long term.
Old 21-01-2016, 13:46   #21

Great feedback thank you!
Yes I am a jack of all trades, electronic is my weakness but I am in a class next month in basic troubleshooting.
We would most likely sell any boat we buy in 1-2 years after the kids leave. We will enjoy working on the boat and will have all four of us working on the boat. We do need to start with a fairly fit boat that we could live on and sail right away.
Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:47   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
As you know I spent some time in Holland, and you guy's fascinated me, I'd hear a couple talking as they walked down the road in Dutch, then an English word would be spoken, and they would seamlessly transition into English, I don't even think they realized it they were so comfortable with multiple languages.
I believe the average Dutchman speaks more than one language?
I came away from there convinced it was one of the most "civilized" places I had ever been, very impressed
My SO's kids live in Netherlands with their mother. My SO and the kids all speak to me in a mix of Dutch and English. The SO speaks German too and uses it all. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't picked up in any of it! Fun to be around though

To the OP - regarding your boat needs. The first thing to do is to identify what kind of a boat you are after. Do you just want to a boat to live on doc side? Are you planning any voyages with this boat and where will you go?
$65,000 will get you a nice doc side condo. It will also be just enough for an older coastal cruiser. And just a start for a deep water, all weather round the worlder (more money will be needed for upgrades).

So, resources.

Start with this book
Buy, Outfit, Sail: How To Inexpensively and Safely Buy, Outfit, and Sail a Small Vessel Around the World: Capn Fatty Goodlander: 9781456310035: Amazon.com: Books

That should give you a starting point.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 13:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
We would most likely sell any boat we buy in 1-2 years after the kids leave. //
We do need to start with a fairly fit boat that we could live on and sail right away.
Selling to move back to land or selling and buying another boat?
And 'sail right away' - so you're all taking sailing lessons? Where do you plan to sail?
Are we talking day trips in nice weather or longer trips or even passages?

The Prout cat is, as I understand, easy to sail. I've only ever sailed monohulls, so I'm only repeating what I've heard and read. But, provided they're in good condition, they offer a lot of boat for a relatively low price.
Old 21-01-2016, 13:57   #24

If we enjoy living on the boat we sell our home in colorado and would buy another boat. We will be doing sailing lessons with a captain on our boat in the keys.
Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 14:29   #25

Hope you'll find a boat you can sell w/out losing too much money -- but since you seem set in the idea of starting out like this, that's a risk you'll just have to take

Any thoughts on the feedback given and the 2 very different boats that were posted?

Think we've given all the advice we can
Old 21-01-2016, 15:50   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help! Quit my job and buying a boat!

Here you go.. wave 60K under his nose and work from there..
1988 Beneteau 430 Oceanis Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 16:11   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Here's a Tayana 37 for $49k with a repowered yanmar that's probably 8 years old (the engine that is). Has two quarter berths of the kids, a big vberth, separate shower.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/5366084605.html

I saw this boat, some time ago. Odds are the water and diesel tanks might need replacing and rigging if it's not new is probably 20 years old or older and in need of replacement. If the rigging and sails are newer then 10 years, it would be a great boat for $45K. Not a bad boat for maybe a $45k ish offer.

For a family of 4 a bigger boat would be ideal, but for the money it has a fair amount of storage.

Leaves enough for a bit of fix'n and even cruising.

Edit: Actually Boaties Boat would work better for 4 people, if you have the money.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 16:41   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
My wife 2 adult children and our dog are looking for a liveaboard that is in good sailing conditions. We will be living in the key and need to move this June. Our budget is a maximum of $65,000. All and any information is very helpful as this is all new to us.
Here you go, shop to your hearts desire:

Advanced boat search for new and used boats and yachts - YachtWorld.com
Old 21-01-2016, 16:54   #29

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Great feedback thank you!
Yes I am a jack of all trades, electronic is my weakness but I am in a class next month in basic troubleshooting.
We would most likely sell any boat we buy in 1-2 years after the kids leave. We will enjoy working on the boat and will have all four of us working on the boat. We do need to start with a fairly fit boat that we could live on and sail right away.
Well, while I agree with most posters here that it will be difficult, sometimes miracles do happen. I am currently based in Thailand, and an absolute cracker of an erstwhile famous race yacht just sold for well below its asking price of $60,000 USD, in the end going for $40,000 AUD (around 28,000 USD)! I had a good look at her as she was in the yard in which I was working at the time, and then saw her launched and set up after purchase. The blocks alone on her (a dozen or more Harken Black Magic in great shape and recently purchased all "big boat blocks") would have been most of the purchase price right there! And her engine was sweet, and all good. Some small rot issues but nothing mega (limited to stanchion areas it seemed). Pretty much new racing sails (a suite of 10 serious racing sails less than 3 years old mostly unused!), dynema quad runners… etc etc… Amazing bargain! You may get lucky, but as the others have also said, caveat emptor and GET A GOOD SURVEY:

Sail boat for sale - 55ft Australian Maid
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 17:17   #30

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

There ia a 1985 Beneteau Idylle 15.5 51ft for sale in Palm beach Fla. I think he only wants 65 rand for it. Thats a steal, its on yachtworld. I own one and they are built like a brick **** house. It has almost a 16 ft beam, about 6' 5'' head room. Great Perkings tractor motor, almost bullitt proof. Tons of room. The one for sale is in better shape then when I first bought mine. I have totally restored mine and everyone who comes on it is jealous, believe me. They were built in France when Beneteau was still a family owned company and they are real boats. I hate to say it, but not like the ones they build today, which are assembly line jeanneau and beneteau. I almost flew down to look at it for the guy in the slip next to me. He's 6 foot 2 and loved mine. If you don't jump on it your crazy. I'm thinking about buying it just to do a refit and turn it over. Read the reviews on line, I think by Jordon Yacht.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying