Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 11:18   #1

Help Needed

Hello everyone! It's great to be here.

I am looking to buy a boat that I can live in longterm. I am also looking for a boat that I can take out in the ocean singlehandedly. Being completely new to sailing and not even having done the courses, at first I'll keep it moored in NSW, Australia, then take it up and down the coast and only after a year or so and much learning take out out to New Zealand. I have a dog that lives with me. My budget is about $200,000 to $300,000. I guess I would also have to pay for the boat to be shipped to Australia. Any idea how much that would cost? Any idea on what would be the best boat to buy? I am female and not very strong in the arms.
Newbie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 12:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2012 View Post
...................I guess I would also have to pay for the boat to be shipped to Australia..............
Hello and welcome to the community. What are the reasons why you would not expect to be able to find your boat on the Austrailian market?
Old 24-10-2012, 12:08   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

I think a multihull would suit you perfectly.

One of our Members (FACTOR) sells them .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 12:10   #4

Hello CaptFroce!!!

Thank you for your reply. I have been searching for boats in Australia but can only find very old vessels for my price range. I would rather buy a newer, modern boat and transport it. Also marine costs seem to be higher in Australia. Actually everything is very expensive in Australia, especially in Sydney!!! I am in Canada right now and am about to go on a trip to the US to look for my dream boat.
Old 24-10-2012, 12:15   #5

Hello David!

How about a catamaran? Aren't they meant to be more stable on the water? I sailed a 44ft monohull yacht (is that right?) with one other person that had experience and not even in open water but in a bay. It was really hard work and we almost turned it over!!! The wind would just blow it from all directions!!!
Old 24-10-2012, 12:17   #6

If you are shipping your boat by freighter, there are some size considerations, you could try to buy within a good size for that. Not sure how to find out...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 12:38   #7

Hello Cheechako,

Thanks for joining in. I think the size and weight would both matter when it comes to shipping. Also size would matter when it comes to keeping costs down at the marina and handling on my own. But I (and my dog) intend to live in it, have friends over and also take it out in blue water so it can't be too small. I think it has to be mid range. Does anyone know makes and models suitable for Australian waters and someone like me? Thank you so far for all your help. I am starting to look at multihulls only from now on.
Old 24-10-2012, 17:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Hello Cheechako,

Thanks for joining in. I think the size and weight would both matter when it comes to shipping. Also size would matter when it comes to keeping costs down at the marina and handling on my own. But I (and my dog) intend to live in it, have friends over and also take it out in blue water so it can't be too small. I think it has to be mid range. Does anyone know makes and models suitable for Australian waters and someone like me? Thank you so far for all your help. I am starting to look at multihulls only from now on.
What is your timeline? As a complete beginner there are thousands of things to know at the beginning of this journey.

One option is to start sailing courses and spend as much time here as possible reading and participating.

If I were an Aussie and not satisfied with the selection of boats in the market I would be looking at Asia. In fact Australia is so big I would be looking at Asia anyway.

If I lived in Perth and was looking at boats in Sydney or Brisbane, Asia is not out of reach at all.

With the right time and experience sailing an Asian boat back to Australia is not that tough.

To answer one of your questions - You will pay duty on the cost of the boat and the cost to get the boat to Australia (whether sailed or shipped), then you will pay VAT on the costs and duties.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:08   #9

Thanks for the advice Ex-Calif.

I have been looking at the 40' Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 2005-2008 after being directed to look at catamarans. Some of them have as many as 3,000hrs on the engine. Is this too much? Should I be worried about it? The same boat I see in different parts of the globe costs from $70,000 to $100,000 more in Australia if you can find it. I assume that shipping costs won't be more than $20,000. I just do searches for the boat and look at anything that comes up. Asia would be the best place to look, you are right, but I haven't found one there yet. Actually there was one in New Caledonia.

Oh, you'll see a lot of me on here. I am learning a lot of information really fast. It's like cramming for an exam.
Old 24-10-2012, 18:13   #10

What an interesting thread to me...

"I am female and not very strong in the arms."

I'm an old navy officer from Nova Scotia Canada!,not very strong in our arms e'namour ether .

it-es very easy ,an answer for you my dear friend...

you need to sea where you are and you kneed to get to where you want to go....

you donut need to buy a boat ,you jest need to find a gentleman who owns won already and ids looking for the same dream too...

cause they lots of sailboats with lonely men who would give they old bees knee's to find a lovely mermaid like you,my dear woman mermaid!

so we will post pictures of our boats and ,maybe you may post a picture of yourself?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-27734-6.html

it is a crazy old world ..you are in the right place ,dear!

You will be sailin soon,Matey!

the wise idea of sailing to OZ with a good deal on a Cat all ready shows us your wise in ya years!

and cause ya love ya doggies...i love more allured....i love anomalies more than most landlubbers

some of ua Gents in North America...wish,dreanm and hope...to seyt sail with alady and a woman and a S/V and head to OZ....

we are all panting and waitin!!!!!
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:17   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Ex-Calif.

I have been looking at the 40' Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 2005-2008 after being directed to look at catamarans. Some of them have as many as 3,000hrs on the engine. Is this too much? Should I be worried about it? The same boat I see in different parts of the globe costs from $70,000 to $100,000 more in Australia if you can find it. I assume that shipping costs won't be more than $20,000. I just do searches for the boat and look at anything that comes up. Asia would be the best place to look, you are right, but I haven't found one there yet. Actually there was one in New Caledonia.

Oh, you'll see a lot of me on here. I am learning a lot of information really fast. It's like cramming for an exam.
Well to be honest you should be worried about everything on a used boat.

3,000 hours can be a lot or not be a lot depending on how those hours are applied.

You also need to be aware of origination and destination costs when shipping. A boat will need the mast removed and need to be packed for shipping, it will likely need a custom cradle built and will almost surely have to go as deck cargo rather than containerized freight.

At the destination the boat needs to be reassembled.

Some of the guys here were looking to import some very small race boats <25 feet but with deep keels ~7 feet.

To go as container cargo the keels need to be removed to get into a 40 foot container. The total cost from Thailand to Singapore is predicted to almost exceed the price of the boats.

There is probably a good reason almost all new cats are sailed to their owners rather than shipped.

Point is do your research.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 18:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well to be honest you should be worried about everything on a used boat.

3,000 hours can be a lot or not be a lot depending on how those hours are applied.

You also need to be aware of origination and destination costs when shipping. A boat will need the mast removed and need to be packed for shipping, it will likely need a custom cradle built and will almost surely have to go as deck cargo rather than containerized freight.

At the destination the boat needs to be reassembled.

as ex Calif may agree...its smarter,cheaper and faster to sail her than ship her,

as a wise old silver too

Some of the guys here were looking to import some very small race boats <25 feet but with deep keels ~7 feet.

To go as container cargo the keels need to be removed to get into a 40 foot container. The total cost from Thailand to Singapore is predicted to almost exceed the price of the boats.

There is probably a good reason almost all new cats are sailed to their owners rather than shipped.

Point is do your research.

its Amazing how man good wise men will post here jest like ex-calif...

what he says is very ,very true...

we are all used and we are all very old,and wise-hopefully!

differance;es is can ya' all breahe-e and smille and smoke1

and most importantly can ya sail any boat across the waters?

end of the day ya are with it our ya knot?
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 23:54   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
............3,000 hours can be a lot or not be a lot depending on how those hours are applied............
I very much agree here. More degradation of a diesel engine can come from poor care with lack of use than 3,000 hrs or use with good maintenance. The engine would need to be evaluated by a professional or someone with solid knowledge.
Old 25-10-2012, 08:16   #14

Hello again,

I was thinking of having a professional survey done on the boat. It is a big investment and has to be done right. I wish I can afford a new boat, but for what I want, $250,000 does not get me far. If I can just buy the boat now I would get more upgrades later. I am in no rush to go out into rough seas yet. I would really like it if it has solar panels though because I want to generate my own electricity.

I am looking into having the boat transported and will post my experience of it on here. Currently I am just looking for quotes from different shipping companies. I will also look into having it sailed from one place to another but that sounds very risky at this point. If something goes wrong with the shipping company I have someone to sue. If the boat is crashed by someone sailing it I lose everything....

No comment on the Lavezzi?
Old 25-10-2012, 09:09   #15

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Hello again,

I was thinking of having a professional survey done on the boat. It is a big investment and has to be done right. I wish I can afford a new boat, but for what I want, $250,000 does not get me far. If I can just buy the boat now I would get more upgrades later. I am in no rush to go out into rough seas yet. I would really like it if it has solar panels though because I want to generate my own electricity.

I am looking into having the boat transported and will post my experience of it on here. Currently I am just looking for quotes from different shipping companies. I will also look into having it sailed from one place to another but that sounds very risky at this point. If something goes wrong with the shipping company I have someone to sue. If the boat is crashed by someone sailing it I lose everything....

No comment on the Lavezzi?
It is of course a matter of preference but for me I would go for a monohull. If a large cat is capsized you are probably going to lose it but a monohull has a good chance of righting itself. My other concern with a cat is mooring fees. They are wide and I believe more expensive on mooring fees (not sure where you will be moored most of the time). I know you have decided on a cat already so but just thought I would add a bit.

Now ... as far as getting the boat to Australia; I would get an experienced skipper, insure the boat for the journey (that way if the worst happens you will at least be able to get another one), and if you have the time, why not sail with it as a learning experience and a great adventure?

Secondly
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote